What is the official language of the European Union?

nic   Tuesday, June 22, 2004, 09:04 GMT
so there was a misandserstanding, i thought you were talking about the global history. Here is an example of italo-french relation ships. Napoleon was in fact italian (corsica was italian), like most of corsicans, they usually came from Toscany. Napoleone Buonaparte, i don't say you don't know it, but most the people ignore it.
nic   Tuesday, June 22, 2004, 09:06 GMT
Normands are originally germannic
Juan   Tuesday, June 22, 2004, 09:09 GMT
What about the little jibe from Northern directed at their Iberian European cousins from the South.

"Africa begins at the Pyrenees"
"Africa comienza en los Pirineos "

That's got a condescending tone, doesn't it? ;-)
Jordi   Tuesday, June 22, 2004, 09:14 GMT
Renaissance is indeed a French word in English. We call it Renacimiento in Spanish, Renaixement in Catalan, Renascimento in Portuguese and Rinascimento in Italy. It means to "be be reborn" because ancient classic Greek and Latin culture came back to Europe in such a strong fashion. The whole thing was an Italian invention and not a French one.

And War not "was" and "against" for "agains". I'm on holiday today and spending far too much time in Antimoon. Perhaps somebody is right and I'm becoming an Antimoon addict. Please forgive me.
nic   Tuesday, June 22, 2004, 09:14 GMT
jordi,

You are right Germany did not exist, it was only an Empire called Prusse
nic   Tuesday, June 22, 2004, 09:14 GMT
jordi,

You are right Germany did not exist, it was only an Empire called Prusse
Jordi   Tuesday, June 22, 2004, 09:18 GMT
Dear Nic:
Napolean was indeed a year o two before Corsica became French and Corsican is considered to be an Italian dialect by linguists. This said, "le Petit Caporal" (Damian Napoleon was only about 160 cm. tall) was indeed a 100% French product, something like Camembert cheese or Bordeaux wine if you know what I mean.
nic   Tuesday, June 22, 2004, 09:20 GMT
French never said Rennaissance was french.
Juan   Tuesday, June 22, 2004, 09:20 GMT
I'm a self-confessed addict. It's sad being in denial, it's not a good look. ;-)
Juan   Tuesday, June 22, 2004, 09:24 GMT
<<French never said Rennaissance was french.>>

My mistake. I was not trying to imply that, more like that modern scientific advancement was acheived largely by the contribution of a significant number of gifted French individuals. The "Enlightment" period.
Jordi   Tuesday, June 22, 2004, 09:25 GMT
Nic:
I promise to go back to my European history books if you promise do the same. I'll start from tomorrow. Meanwhile, "je serai sage". We'll start having a look at a map of the German-speaking peoples of Europe in the early 19th century. Is that a good idea?
nic   Tuesday, June 22, 2004, 09:26 GMT
No Napoleon Bonaparte (Napoelone Buonaparte) was from a toscan familly who came to Corsica like many other italians from Corsica. His origins were not french but corsican and after that italian. When Corsica became french, he was very very young. He received french culture education. As you said Corsican is an italian dialect. He became the historical figure we know but was not french at the beginnig.

Soemthing like camembert and Bordeaux is impossible, camembert comes from Normandy, i don't think at this time he had some. Like the wine, for the reason Corsicans have their own wine, and at list because Corsicans do not especially conseider themselves as french but corsicans at 1st.
nic   Tuesday, June 22, 2004, 09:30 GMT
Of course i have to review my history, you teached me some new things interesting. What i dislike is the fact some people think french feel superior. I don't think it's true, especially in the south when you know most of the people are culturally closer to italians in the east and spanish in the west. That's the case with my family (french one). They have this feeling they are closer with spanish and i never heard them to say they felt superior to nspanish. At list they feel 100% closer to spanish than Bretons, normands...
nic   Tuesday, June 22, 2004, 09:34 GMT
"I promise to go back to my European history books if you promise do the same. I'll start from tomorrow. Meanwhile, "je serai sage". We'll start having a look at a map of the German-speaking peoples of Europe in the early 19th century. Is that a good idea? "

That"s what i tried to do but the results are not really effective, i will try with the french word "Prusse". Do you know why French and spanish don't say
Jordi   Tuesday, June 22, 2004, 09:36 GMT
Come on mate! If Napoleon Bonaparte wasn't French who was? He was the Emperor of France and tried to put French emperors throughout Europe (his brothers and family, of course.) I never considered himself a Corsican nationalist and his figure is widely used in Corsica to prove Corsicans they are French. Not that, I agree, many Corsicans are too happy about this. Italy didn't exist until the mid 19th century as a country so he couldn't possibily have thought of himself as an Italian as we understand it today. What I meant is that Camembert cheese, Bordeaux wine and Napoleon Bonaparte are French icons the same way cheddar cheese and Drake are English icons. Many French still miss him and adore him. Why? He brought death over millions of Europeans.