What Languge best represents Western Europe?

joker   Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:48 am GMT
<< The big three EU languages, ENGLISH GERMAN AND FRENCH. DUH! >>

The post question was asking about which single language, not languages. DUH!
Guest   Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:30 am GMT
<<Sorry but Galician or Portuguese are spoken in the westernmost part of continental Europe >>

Uhh, no, Icelandic

Continental I said!
Guest   Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:47 am GMT
English then, because it's your best bet for getting around without problems. Besides, it's the most used of all 3 in the European institutions and stuff, despite the official recognition of the others.
erol   Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:42 pm GMT
in accordance with the number of people who speaks a specific language, german is the msot spoken language in the western europe!
A German   Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:45 pm GMT
Dutch!
nico   Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:02 pm GMT
I don't see why you say that french has some germanic influence?
Guest   Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:09 pm GMT
English
because one of the richest countries in Europe uses it (Ireland)
and because GB is one of the most important countries in the world.
PARISIEN   Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:23 pm GMT
Honestly, it has to be German, hands down:

- more native speakers than any other language in Europe
- spoken only in Europe
- majority language in four states (incl. Lichtenstein)
- spoken by minorities in ten other nations
- last but nost least, Germany is the only country with a big culture in BOTH wine and beer, what else is needed to qualify as the heart of Europe?
guest   Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:41 pm GMT
<<- last but nost least, Germany is the only country with a big culture in BOTH wine and beer, what else is needed to qualify as the heart of Europe? >>

Hell YEAH.Say no more! German it is!
German   Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:31 pm GMT
Hebrew should be the official language of Europe. In Germany it should even replace German as a spoken language. It's only fair.
guest   Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:01 pm GMT
<<Hebrew should be the official language of Europe. In Germany it should even replace German as a spoken language. It's only fair. >>

I don't think that's necessary
Guest   Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:34 pm GMT
*When one glances at the birthrates... Arabic.
Guest   Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:06 pm GMT
With Esperanto you got 'em all.
Un-PC   Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:30 am GMT
<< *When one glances at the birthrates... Arabic. >>

That's what I worry about. Low native birth rates + high immigration w/ high birth rates = Trouble for Europe. Euro culture, tradition and values will be a risk unless this trend is curbed. Anyone from Europe agree? I'm not against immigration, but I am against such a potentially fatal demographic change in this very important area of civilization. I guess if the most of immigrants children become "Europeanized" then it's less of a problem, but I'm not sure they do. Or am I wrong?

I just hope immigration doesn't continue where the Arab and Ottoman invasions left off. Ya know what I mean?

<< With Esperanto you got 'em all. >>

Not fake languages.
joker   Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:18 am GMT
<< I don't see why you say that french has some germanic influence? >>

Seeing that the Franks were a Germanic people, how could there not be some Germanic infuence?