Think German is Scary, kids? Take a look at Swahili!

Xie   Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:57 am GMT
That said, I find it unrealistic to try to do anything about "the declining quality" of courses. I did a search in my university library, and what I found was just a 1980s linguaphone German course which is rather boring - no bilingual texts but only loads of notes as if the manuals were paper flashcards with recordings. I think they are usable and readable, but certainly they are not the 'ideal' format one would want to use (I'd prefer, in this case, the FSI one in the 60s instead).

Gosh, those guys are being too honest! I think you wouldn't get I don't speak English responses at a random university in my city, but the heavy accents are pretty like those of some CJK officials you can see. As a universal fact, when it comes to 'real learning', unsurprisingly few people do make efforts to learning sth well. I've been already approaching the professor's ways of doing it. Well, is it true that only a linguist can think of proper ways of acquisition? Certainly not, but I'm afraid few really know the mechanism that works.
Xie   Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:57 am GMT
That said, I find it unrealistic to try to do anything about "the declining quality" of courses. I did a search in my university library, and what I found was just a 1980s linguaphone German course which is rather boring - no bilingual texts but only loads of notes as if the manuals were paper flashcards with recordings. I think they are usable and readable, but certainly they are not the 'ideal' format one would want to use (I'd prefer, in this case, the FSI one in the 60s instead).

Gosh, those guys are being too honest! I think you wouldn't get I don't speak English responses at a random university in my city, but the heavy accents are pretty like those of some CJK officials you can see. As a universal fact, when it comes to 'real learning', unsurprisingly few people do make efforts to learning sth well. I've been already approaching the professor's ways of doing it. Well, is it true that only a linguist can think of proper ways of acquisition? Certainly not, but I'm afraid few really know the mechanism that works.