Romance Languages Mutual Intelligibilty

Guest   Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:48 pm GMT
Of course if you are a Romanian you will not find the similarity. 2 languages don't need to belon to the same family to sound similar, I know that Romanian is Romance and not Slavic but even Spanish and Basque sound almost the same, and Basque is not even an IE language.
Guest   Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:52 pm GMT
Romanian is slavic
guest   Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:52 pm GMT
When a native Romanian speaks English, the accent we hear sounds very Slavic. That's where it comes from. They sound no different to us than a Bulgarian speaking English does. It's very laxed, and the speaker sounds East European. There isn't a doubt about it.

When a Romanian is speaking Romanian though, it's not as noticeable. It sounds latinic/italic
Guest   Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:00 pm GMT
so actually is the accent .....
Guest   Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:05 pm GMT
"Spanish to me sounds Mexican or perhaps Aztecan...definitely not like the Latin of the Roman senators."
>>Latin sounded like a mix of Spanish and Italian, so yeah Mexicans, Spaniards, Italians, Argentines, etc. speak like the Romans did in a way.
K. T.   Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:12 pm GMT
I had the impression just because I lumped Romania in with the Soviet
countries. I knew nothing about about the language until I became an adult. It was called "Rumania" back then, I think. With "o" instead of "u", it's easier to see the connection with "Roman".
guest   Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:16 pm GMT
<<"Spanish to me sounds Mexican or perhaps Aztecan...definitely not like the Latin of the Roman senators."
>>Latin sounded like a mix of Spanish and Italian, so yeah Mexicans, Spaniards, Italians, Argentines, etc. speak like the Romans did in a way. >>

Spanish spoken in Mexico sounds different than Spanish is Spain.

Spanish Spanish is crisp and clear; Mexican Spanish is lazy sounding (seriously, no pun there), like the old Indian comedienne on the Univision channel--the one with the two braids and the Inca-looking garb...
Guest   Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:24 pm GMT
Romania was "Rumania" because Romanian langauge normally changes the unstressed (Vulgar) Latin "o" to "u", cf.:

cognatus => cumnat
cogitare => cugeta
intro => intru
scribo => scriu etc.
K. T.   Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:32 pm GMT
Good point about the "o" and "u", Guest @11:24.
Guest   Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:06 am GMT
"Spanish Spanish is crisp and clear; Mexican Spanish is lazy sounding (seriously, no pun there), like the old Indian comedienne on the Univision channel--the one with the two braids and the Inca-looking garb... "

>>Really... let me tell you, the "Mexicans" that you see in the States, are the worst of Mexico, they were the poorest, that's why they are uneducated, real Mexicans in Mexico speak like this:

http://mx.youtube.com/watch?v=wWP-Be-ONOw
Molesto   Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:10 am GMT
The guy on the video speaks good Spanish, not the best, though. To people to say that the Spanish spoken in Spain is the best, either they've never been to Spain or they're biased against people in Latin America. I'm Mexican and English is my second language, and even tough I live in the U.S. I do admit that many Mexican people living in the U.S. are uneducated and didn't learn good skills in their main language. But to say that Spaniards speak the best Spanish is wrong. I had the privilege to visit Spain and I noticed that an uneducated Spaniard speaks Spanish just as bad as an undeducated Mexican. Many people from cities far from Madrid have unpolished accents. A friend of mine from AndalucĂ­a has a very strong accent, a little smiliar to Caribean people. He omits some sounds such as the "s" and he just doesn't speak an impeccable language. Educated people from Madrid do have an excellent pronunciation and are extremelly easy to understand. The same can be said about educated people from Mexico City and some other cities in Mexico. To all those who keep saying that people in Spain speak the best Spanish, they are ignorant and biased. Is like saying that U.S. citizens speak bad English just because they use G.W. Bush as a reference.
Guest   Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:16 am GMT
Louisiana Cajun French is the sweetest and the most pleasant form of French to hear.
guest   Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:38 pm GMT
<<Really... let me tell you, the "Mexicans" that you see in the States, are the worst of Mexico, they were the poorest, that's why they are uneducated, real Mexicans in Mexico speak like this:
>>

I was talking of Spanish heard on telenovelas, not from Mexican migrant workers.

<<To all those who keep saying that people in Spain speak the best Spanish, they are ignorant and biased.>>

You condemn yourself by your own assertion, because you're doing the same thing...
Guest   Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:02 pm GMT
To all those who keep saying that people in Spain speak the best Spanish

Spanish students immitate the Castilian accent, not the Cuban or the Mexican ones, because they are ugly.
guest   Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:40 pm GMT
<<To all those who keep saying that people in Spain speak the best Spanish >>

well, you might have a phobia, as I do not recall hearing anyone say Spanish Spanish was better (are you exposing vital info for us here?)

All I said was that it sounds different. I attached no value judgment to it. You yourself did that...