English spoken EVERYWHERE

Colette d'Allemagne   Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:32 pm GMT
<<Other parts like Bretagne are more doubtful.>>

Haha -- this is exactly where I lived. I'm sure the people of southern France are very friendly and very Mediterranean. This is why you approve of them. All you care about is how dark someone's skin, hair, and eyes are. If they are dark enough, they fit into your Approved Latin Brotherhood. You are no less racist than Germanic skinheads.

P.S. I won't tell you what you need to stop your stupidity. It would be too rude. Be assured that it is fabulously politically incorrect, however...
MST   Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:39 pm GMT
US English spoken everyplace.
Guest   Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:40 pm GMT
All you care about is how dark someone's skin, hair, and eyes are. If they are dark enough, they fit into your Approved Latin Brotherhood. You are no less racist than Germanic skinheads.

These are the kind of things that make me think that you are an idiot. Did you saw me talking about darkness of eyes every? Hell, I myself have green as grass eyes! You seem obsessed about physical traits . Don't make me tell you what kind of people do that.
Collette   Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:49 pm GMT
Anyway, I must admit that the most important thing is the number of native speakers, the real speakers of the language everyday. You can see the list:

Spanish: 400 million of native speakers

English: 380 million of native speakers

German: 95 million of native speakers

French: 75 million of native speakers

There are some important demographic reasons to say that French and German are less spoken and less important.
Guest   Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm GMT
OK, colette, I'm glad that you accept the reality. It wasn't that hard, right?
Guest   Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:17 pm GMT
Don't make me tell you what kind of people do that

= Americans. Need to say it?
Guest   Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:23 pm GMT
Personally, I'm glad that English is the dominant world language. It gives me the opportunity to learn whatever other language I choose, as opposed to being forced to pick one because of necessity.

AHAHAH?? what? maybe you are not aware taht it's the same in all the rest of the world! I am not an English speaker and I freely chose whcih languages I liked. I have not any "necessity" to study any language.
Personally I have also to inform you that English language "dominance" won't be forever...
Things change and VERY fast!
Guest   Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:30 pm GMT
The dominance of English makes the English speakers less interested in learning languages so it's a double-edged sword. The necessity of learning English also lead me to study other languages. . If I my native tongue was the predominant on, like English is, probably I would end up being monolingual and bigoted like most of the native English speakers.
Skippy   Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:57 pm GMT
It doesn't make English speakers less interested, it just puts them at a disadvantage that they have no necessity in learning a second language. Furthermore, due to the fact that the United States, Australia, New Zealand, and UK and Ireland (to a lesser extent) aren't in close proximity to nations where their language isn't spoken (Mexico is the only exception where a large portion of the population do not speak English). In other words, there's little practical reason for someone in Manchester or Kansas City to learn a foreign language unless they plan on traveling abroad frequently.

The UK and Ireland are relatively isolated from the rest of Europe (less so in modern times, but historically this has been true), Australians and New Zealanders are miles away from the nearest substantially-large non-English speaking populations, and the US has Mexico on its Southern border, though few Americans frequently go south of the border on a regular basis (aside from college students). Also, the Americans that make it north of the border do not make it to Quebec, and when they do, bilingual education has forced them to learn English anyway.

It's very different than being from Berlin and being a couple of hours from Poland, or being from Strasbourg and being exposed to German constantly, or being from Switzerland and having to learn three languages... There is little necessity for English speakers to learn another language and it puts as at a marked disadvantage; on the other hand, it gives us the ability to study languages of our choice, rather than basing it on necessity.
Guest   Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:10 pm GMT
Skippy, UK is 15 miles away from France.
Guest   Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm GMT
UK is not Europe
Guest   Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:47 pm GMT
Maybe, but it is not far from Europe, so the geographical distance is not a valid reason for not learning different languages. The real reason is that being a native English speaker prevents you from bein interested in learning languages. 99% of them are monolinguals.
Guest   Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:56 pm GMT
They are monolinguals because they only care about their affairs (apart when it comes to stole lands and suck everything possible from them), have they a snotty beahviour towards the continent? Stay in your damp island then!
Caspian   Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:17 pm GMT
There is no need to be offensive. I am English, and I know English, French, German, Italian and Chinese at varying levels. Don't write off a whole race. Are you jealous that we have a huge coastline?
?   Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:24 pm GMT
huge coastline??