What is your favourite Romance language?

Tiffany   Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:19 pm GMT
Romanian,
"I am surprised by you people, learning and being fascinated by Romanian, when most people (Spaniards, Portuguese, Italians and French, all so-called LATINS ) don’t have a clue about the Romanian Language being Romance !!! Ironically the closest to Classical Latin!!!"

I think that's pretty far from the truth. My husband (Italian) knows well that Romanian is a Romance language and he can understand much of it (He speaks pretty standard Italian from the Toscana/Liguria border). He, of course studied Latin, as is required of all Italian school children.

I don't understand why Romanians dislike their own language. I know several Romanians who work with my husband and they all profess that their language is ugly and it really is the Slavic side they all seem to hate. I don't blame them for the tension there is between themselves and the rest of the Slavs (especially Russia in light of their history), but I think the Slavic influence makes it interesting and beautiful in its own right.

Since most of the words are very similar to Italian equivalents, so much so that I pick them up too! I've never studied Latin though and there is still a lot of Italian for me to learn so my husband picks up far more than I.

La revedere/Arrivederci!
Tiffany   Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:22 pm GMT
Arg!!

"Since most of the words are very similar to Italian equivalents, so much so that I pick them up too!"

should be:

"Since most of the words are very similar to Italian, I pick them up too!"
Xatufan   Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:03 am GMT
Is the Romanian word "salut" a loan from French, or an original word from the language? If it's the latter, it's a miracle!

Acest debil mintal are nevoie de ajutorul dumneavoastră!
Xatufan   Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:26 am GMT
I just realized that Spanish "anegar" and Romanian "inec" (as in "ma inec in ochii tai") are cognates (<"enecare"). After all, they have the same "watery" taste, ha ha.

Also French "noyer".

It is amazing that languages developing thousands of kilometres away from each other have the same word to express the same meaning, when its parent had a different meaning ("enecare" = simply, "to kill").
Romanian   Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:55 am GMT
In Romanian we use “Salut” and “Salutare” the latter is an identical form, as in Latin L. <salutare> "to greet,"

“Salut” is just a contraction of the older Latin “Salutare” still used in Romania.

<Salutare ! Ce faci ? Bine ?>
Romanian   Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:20 am GMT
"I think that's pretty far from the truth. My husband (Italian) knows well that Romanian is a Romance language and he can understand much of it "

Dear Tiffany !

As greg already stated, Most French people don’t have a clue about Romanian language and the Language Family – Romance. Besides, most “normal” Italians I know, were so surprised when they “discovered the hole in the macaroni“; while visiting Romania. Last time I went to America, some Brazilians and Mexicans “present” there , were shocked after telling them about “my Sicilian” being in fact Romanian - a Romance language.
Tiffany   Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:43 am GMT
Well, my husband IS well-traveled. It's true I hadn't polled many other Italians on this. I also hadn't read Greg's comment (Mi dispiace greg!). Perhaps you are correct that many "Latins" don't know that Romanian is a Romance language. However, I also suspect that many outside this site (and regardless of nationality) without our interest in linguistics don't know this either.

Have I told you about this one very funny episode when one of my husband's co-workers, Gheorge (sp?), was on a cellphone talking loudly to his wife in Romanian (as the noise-level was quite high in the building). He said "I do" in Romanian a few times. Everybody shut up. :)
troubadour   Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:19 pm GMT
désolé mais je suis français et sais parfaitement, ce depuis longtemps que les roumains sont latins.

LA DRACU!!!!
Sigma   Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:16 pm GMT
The word in Romanian mersi (thanks) I think came from French (merci), but I think the word more common to say thanks is "multumesc".

Also "Salut" in both Romanian and French means the same thing "Hi" but the pronunciation is a little different.

Sp ¿Qué hora es ahí?
Rm Ce ora e acolo?
Fr Quelle heure est-il?

Îmi place Româna.
Latinii au sânge fierbinte
Pa
Guest   Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:14 am GMT
I think I most say English!
It´s the best language ever! (and isn´t it Romance?)
Guest   Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:38 am GMT
I'm not that familiar with too many Romance languages, but IMHO Spanish sure beats the heck out of French.
arielbsas   Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:51 am GMT
Hi all, first of all, let me introduce myself. My name is Ariel, I'm 28 years old and I live in Buenos Aires. If you're interested in learning/practicing Spanish in private on-line classes take a look at my website http://learnspanish.6te.net/
or send me an e-mail ls_oneonone@yahoo.com
cya all!
Xatufan   Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:25 pm GMT
sânge = sangre ????
Sigma   Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:45 pm GMT
Da Xatufan (Si, Oui, Yes)
Bahianna   Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:56 pm GMT
brazilêru é miya língwa natchiva