Erik

Literature point of view   Sun May 04, 2008 3:50 pm GMT
I would like to know which languages can be considered very important taking into account the best books and writers of History.

I think that English, Spanish and French are the most important languages (Shakespeare, Cervantes, Moliere, etc)

Perhaps, other languages, like Italian, German and Russian are also almost important languages. I think that Asian languages are not so important but I am not sure.

Thanks.
Guest   Sun May 04, 2008 3:58 pm GMT
It is obvious that English and Spanish have more important writers (quantity and qualility). It is due to the extraordinary writers of the Americas: Hemingway and Garcia Marquez are a good example.

In short, the American and British literature (English) and the Latin American and Spaniard one (Spanish) are, perhaps, on the top.

French, German, Italian and Russian come after.
Céline Dion   Sun May 04, 2008 4:02 pm GMT
Freedom for Quebec !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Guest   Sun May 04, 2008 4:45 pm GMT
I'd think that China would have to be right up there among the top contenders, especially if you're including writers of the past (Moliere, Cervantes, etc.)
Guest   Sun May 04, 2008 8:23 pm GMT
-Freedom for Quebec !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!-

For Vermont too
Guest   Sun May 04, 2008 8:57 pm GMT
<<-Freedom for Quebec !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!-

For Vermont too>>

don't forget talavera de la reina
Guest   Sun May 04, 2008 9:02 pm GMT
Os traigo un poco de cultura general

Spanish literature

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_literature

Ala Madrid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Madrid campeón de Liga!!!!!!

Fritzl   Sun May 04, 2008 9:08 pm GMT
Freedom for my bunker !!
Skippy   Sun May 04, 2008 11:07 pm GMT
My experience literature has tended to favor European literature, so I can only speak to that... I would say (naturally) English, but also French and German (yes, in my opinion, German more so than Spanish) and, to a lesser extent, Russian.
Iryna   Sun May 04, 2008 11:32 pm GMT
I am not sure about this. I think that English and Spanish have two origins: England and USA, Spain and Latin America.

Latin American and American writers of the last two centuries are very studied nowadays: Garcia Marquez, Ruben Dario, Borges, Whitman, Twain, Hemingway. Classical writers of UK and Spain, like Cervantes, Lope de Vega, Byron and Shakespeare too.

So, they have an advantage. Perhaps, the third one is French with Moliere, Racine and Balzac.

Fourth, perhaps, is Russian with Dostoievsky, Tolstoi, Pushkin, etc.

German and Italian are the last languages that we can consider important.

Chinese and Arabic are less important languages in World literature, at least from the Western point of view.
Guest   Sun May 04, 2008 11:45 pm GMT
You can write all what you want but I think in poetry no one beats Goethe and Heine. And I'm not German.
Guest   Sun May 04, 2008 11:48 pm GMT
Gongora represents the most sophisticated poetry you can find in any language.
Guest   Mon May 05, 2008 3:26 am GMT
<<I'd think that China would have to be right up there among the top contenders, especially if you're including writers of the past (Moliere, Cervantes, etc.)>>

Lol, who ever heard of Chinese books?
Girl Mary   Mon May 05, 2008 3:32 am GMT
<<My experience literature has tended to favor European literature, so I can only speak to that... I would say (naturally) English, but also French and German (yes, in my opinion, German more so than Spanish) and, to a lesser extent, Russian.>>

Spoken like a truly educated soul. :)

English, French, German, and Russian (in alphabetical order -- and not)