Are Portuguese and Brazilian the same language?

Guest   Mon May 05, 2008 10:46 pm GMT
''Portuguese language originated in PORTUGAL and not Brazil.''
incorrect, Portuguese language originated in Spanish province of Galicia, not in Portugal, so Galician is the real Portuguese, as far as language history is concerned.
Guest   Mon May 05, 2008 10:49 pm GMT
''Bom dia should be pronounced as such as not as if it's spelled bom gia. ''

Portuguese people pronounce it like: bom theeuh (with TH as in English THAT), so it's far from the way is spelled
Guest   Mon May 05, 2008 11:00 pm GMT
Portuguese derives from Galician, which originated in Spain . Portuguese and Brazilan are bastardized versions of Galician.
Guest   Mon May 05, 2008 11:04 pm GMT
ISN'T THERE ANY MODERATOR HERE? PLEASE DELETE OR CLOSE THIS THREAD!!!
Guest   Mon May 05, 2008 11:06 pm GMT
And Galician is bastardized by Castilian Spanish.
Guest   Mon May 05, 2008 11:07 pm GMT
Galician remains pure, that is the reason why it is more similar to Spanish.
Guest   Mon May 05, 2008 11:11 pm GMT
'Bom dia should be pronounced as such as not as if it's spelled bom gia. '

Right! And the letter 'T' should be pronounced as such and not like 'CH':
Words like e.g. "quente" or "tinta" should not pronounced "quenchi" or "chinta".
Guest   Mon May 05, 2008 11:14 pm GMT
Long live the Castilian language!!!
Guest   Mon May 05, 2008 11:36 pm GMT
if all brazilian here say that they can understand better spanish of south america that european portuguese, why the don't call to her language "brazilian spanish?" This would have an good impact for the economy of brazil, giving more opportunities and building a better future
Miss Nevada   Mon May 05, 2008 11:40 pm GMT
Yeah, it would help to build a better future for our children.
MJP   Mon May 05, 2008 11:44 pm GMT
"Portuguese people pronounce it like: bom theeuh (with TH as in English THAT), so it's far from the way is spelled"

wrong.
it doesn't sound like you're SAYING "bom theeuh", it sounds like bom dia with a slight 'th' sound. it certainly isn't the way a d is pronounced in english but saying it is pronounced 'bom theeuh' is FAR from accurate.
MJP   Mon May 05, 2008 11:46 pm GMT
"incorrect, Portuguese language originated in Spanish province of Galicia, not in Portugal, so Galician is the real Portuguese, as far as language history is concerned."

i think i made my point, though. the portuguese language is an iberian language in origin, not south american.
J.C.   Tue May 06, 2008 2:46 am GMT
"the point is that the Portuguese language originated in PORTUGAL and not Brazil. therefore, it is people from Portugal who speak correct Portuguese and Brazil (as far as I can see) speaks a dialect with outside influences."
MJP: The problem is in your statement itself. Even though Portuguese originated in Portugal, that doesn't mean that it is correct. That attitude is one of the reasons many Brazilians (not me) hate the Portuguese.
We don't speak a dialect but a very rich (With African and native Brazilian influences) and worldwide accepted language with over 180 million speakers while European Portuguese only has about 10 million speakers.
If what you say is right then , by analogy, people from England speak "correct" English while Americans, Canadians, Australians and people from New Zealand speak a dialect.
Back to Portuguese, people from Angola, Mozambique and Cabo Verde also speak proper Portuguese (Closer to European Portuguese, though).

"Bom dia should be pronounced as such as not as if it's spelled bom gia. "
This shows that you don't know much about Brazilian Portuguese because people in "Salvador" pronounce "d" like in "dog".
"titia" is pronounced like "tee tee ah".
Even so, languages are a living being and prone to changes. If European Portuguese didn't move on that doesn't give Portuguese the right to criticize another "variety" of Portuguese, which is as correct and acceptable as the original one.
"I don't want anyone accusing me of thinking Continental Portuguese is better/superior to Brazilian dialects, I'm just trying to make a point that the language originated in Portugal and therefore, their pronunciation is standard "
You're only reaffirming your superiority attitude with this...
There's NO WAY European Portuguese is standard for Brazilians because there's no standard language in Brazil. However, since Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo are the biggest cities, there's a trend to use an artificial language in news programs based on these two varieties using the final "r" from Rio de Janeiro [Close to the "r" in Pardon] and final "s" from São Paulo. It seems that the only attempt to have a standard language in Brazil was in the beginning of the 20th century, when Rio de Janeiro Portuguese was a candidate for a standard language.
"A SUPOSTA SUPREMACIA DA FALA CARIOCA: UMA QUESTÃO DE NORMA

Angela Marina Bravin dos Santos (UFRJ)

INTRODUÇÃO

É lugar comum no meio acadêmico, quer entre historiadores quer entre gramáticos e lingüistas, a idéia de que a fala carioca se sobrepõe aos outros falares, o que lhe confere um suposto “status” de modelo a ser seguido. A influência do falar carioca já era sentida, segundo o historiador Alencastro (1997:34), bem antes do advento dos meios de comunicação:"

Cheers!!
J.C.   Tue May 06, 2008 2:56 am GMT
"i think i made my point, though. the portuguese language is an iberian language in origin, not south american."
I still don't know what you mean. The fact that a language originated in Europe doesn't make it "better" than another variety. If European Portuguese were so superior, it wouldn't have to borrow so much from French. You guys don't even have "breakfast" because "Pequeno almoço" is a lousy copy from French.
Pawel   Tue May 06, 2008 4:47 am GMT
as far as I'm concerned, In Europe (I am from Poland) We only learn the continental version of English (British English) Spanish from Spain, Portuguese from Portugal.

Please note that if you take an exam in English (British English) and use American spelling - YOU FAIL !!! Some for Spanish and Portuguese.
You Brazilians and South American Spanish should learn TO LOVE the continental version, Like Americans LOVE the British Accent.

And please dont mention how big the Brazilian economy is compared with Portugal (You have to Compare GDP PER CAPITA not PER Country).

You know why, i am being so nasty towards Brazilians? Because i see that everyday in England (where I work) they make fun about Portuguese workers here.

We know you hate them, but hey (None of the Brazilian were WHITE - they are all Mixed with Blacks) So maybe that is why you hate them.
No civilised country in the world would accept a language Like Brazzilian over Portuguese.

When Brazil will be a civilised country - currently only 70% can read and write, and people live in ghettos (FAVELAS) - Third world.
When you stop hating Portuguese and become a civilised nation, Then YES people will learn Brazilian version, ant not Portuguese.