The most useful languages for world travel

A Filipino   Wed May 14, 2008 6:56 am GMT
<<ASIA=Neither French nor Spanish (they're both dead)
The Philippines and Vietnam are gravitating towards English since the American prescence in both, unfortunately. So, French and Spanish are almost extinct in Asia, BOTH!>>

Corrections:
1) The Philippines is not gravitating towards English; it had gravitated towards English a long time ago and English has been an official language for the longest time here
2) Spanish is not extinct in the Philippines
- It is alive and fluently spoken, although admittedly by a small minority, but big enough to produce locals who populate the Spanish call centers in the country
- It is alive and well in the numerous Spanish loan words (especially Chavacano) in Filipino, that some foreigners might even think that Filipino is pidgin Spanish (it's not; it's malay-based, with plenty of Spanish and English loan words, in the same way that English is still Germanic -and not pig-latin - despite the huge loanwords from Latin and French etc.)
- it is alive and well in the education system, and it is leading a revival right now as Filipinos continue to re-discover Spanish and the Spanish cultural heritage of the Philippines

Don't get me wrong, I'm not for or against anyone or any view yet as I'm still forming my own opinion. I'm obviously biased, since I can speak in Filipino, English, and Spanish. Anyway, I think I agree that neither Spanish nor French wins in Asia per se, although as far as tourism is concerned, I'd go for Spanish anytime over French if you are talking about the Philippines.

Peace, and I hope nobody uses my post as a reason to disturb the peace...

Saludos!
Guest   Wed May 14, 2008 7:21 am GMT
It is alive and well in the numerous Spanish loan words (especially Chavacano) in Filipino, that some foreigners might even think that Filipino is pidgin Spanish (it's not; it's malay-based,

Funny enough malay-based languages and Spanish have similar phonetics right? This also may explain why foreigners believe that Chavacano is creole Spanish.
Guest   Wed May 14, 2008 10:16 am GMT
<< Spanish countries like Argentina have a lot of fertile land. Quebec doesn't, it's too close to the North Pole. >>

Hispanic countries like Argentina have fertile land and it used to have a strong economy but look at it now it's still a 3rd world country with a very high inflation. In the same way, Venezuela which is one of the petroleum exporting countries hasn't achieve prosperity and most of its people are still living in poverty.

The reason it's because of the culture of corruption which is part of the hispanic norm.
Gorillita Estofado   Wed May 14, 2008 10:18 am GMT
<< Freedom for Quewreck!!!!!! >>

Democracy for Curcubada ruled by Castrated!!!!!!!
Guest   Wed May 14, 2008 10:20 am GMT
<< French, German, or Hindi are less important because English is very studied in France, Germany and India. This is a logical idea. So, if English is widely studied in a country, their language is less important. >>

French is very much studied in English speaking countries while Spanish is a big shit!
Real filipino   Wed May 14, 2008 10:25 am GMT
Corrections:
1) The Philippines is gravitating towards English; it had gravitated towards English a long time ago and English has been an official language for the longest time here
2) Spanish IS EXTINCT in the Philippines
- It is DEAD and NO LONGER SPOKEN spoken.
- It is DEAD AND ALIVE ONLY in the numerous Spanish loan words (especially Chavacano) in Filipino, that some foreigners might even think that Filipino is pidgin Spanish (it's not; it's malay-based, with plenty of Spanish and English loan words, in the same way that English is still Germanic -and not pig-latin - despite the huge loanwords from Latin and French etc.)
-SPANISH is WELL DEAD in the education system.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not for or against anyone or any view yet as I'm still forming my own opinion. I'm obviously biased, since I can speak in Filipino, English, and Spanish. Anyway, I think I agree that neither Spanish nor French wins in Asia per se, although as far as tourism is concerned, I'd go for FRENCH, GERMAN, ITALIAN, AND JAPANESE anytime over SPANISH if you are talking about the Philippines.

Peace, and I hope nobody uses my post as a reason to disturb the peace...

ISANG PAG-PUGAY PO SINYONG LAHAT!
Guest3   Wed May 14, 2008 10:32 am GMT
You probably are partially right. There is a culture of corruption in South America. But that can change.

They have fertile lands, petroleum, minerals, etc. If Mercosur (their Economic market) becomes stronger, these countries can be really rich.

For instance, Venezuela and Colombia ,both together like a country of 70 million people, with petroleum and all kind of minerals have the potential of an important country.

The same with Argentina, Uruguay and Chile (and Antarctica) They can be a powerful country of 60 million people: the population of France and 6 times its territory.

There is another interesting question: USA is interested in stronger countries in South America? or they prefer poor and corrupted countries where to do what they want?
Guest   Wed May 14, 2008 10:37 am GMT
Venezuela and Colombia - these two countries hate eachother
Guest   Wed May 14, 2008 10:41 am GMT
<< You probably are partially right. There is a culture of corruption in South America. But that can change.

They have fertile lands, petroleum, minerals, etc. If Mercosur (their Economic market) becomes stronger, these countries can be really rich.

For instance, Venezuela and Colombia ,both together like a country of 70 million people, with petroleum and all kind of minerals have the potential of an important country.

The same with Argentina, Uruguay and Chile (and Antarctica) They can be a powerful country of 60 million people: the population of France and 6 times its territory.

There is another interesting question: USA is interested in stronger countries in South America? or they prefer poor and corrupted countries where to do what they want? >>

They're all poor and will remain poor because of the indolence and the culture of corruption of the hispanics.
Guest   Wed May 14, 2008 12:17 pm GMT
Venezuela and Colombia don't hate to each other. Hugo Chavez hates Colombia, but many Venezuelans do hate Hugo Chavez, not Colombia.
Guest   Wed May 14, 2008 1:01 pm GMT
<< Quebec will never be an independent country, since Quebecers know well that it would be an economic suicide. >>

Quebec would have become a separate country long time ago (1995) had the liberals not played their dirty game and cheated with the election ballots. Thousands and thousands of (Oui) ballots were discarted and thrown in the garbage and not accounted, and on top of all that, it was 49 X 51 !!!

You greedy and money-thirsty QC-Anglophones don't understand that's it's not always about economics, it's about freedom, social and cultural freedom, not economic freedom. You have to realize that some things are more important than money!
Guest   Wed May 14, 2008 1:32 pm GMT
ASIA = Neither French nor Spanish

EUROPE = French (and German)

AFRICA = French

S. AERICA = Spanish

N. AMERICA (with Mexico) = French & Spanish
N. AMERICA (without Mexico) = French

It seems like French wins, it's useful on 3 continents, Spanish is useful on 2 continents. Plus, Europe belongs to French and German, not Spanish.
Guest   Wed May 14, 2008 2:06 pm GMT
EUROPE = French (and German)

What the fuck? EUROPE = English. French a national language in Europe like many others.

N. AMERICA (with Mexico) = French & Spanish

No way, French is spoken by 6 millions in Quebec. That is nothing compared to 120 millions of Spanish speakers in Mexico and 50 millions in US. So don't make me laught.

N America = Spanish and English
S America = Spanish
Europe = English
Africa = English
Asia = English

English wins , Spanish is second. French doesn't even appear.
A Filipino   Wed May 14, 2008 2:23 pm GMT
To the so-called "real Filipino"

Well, I guess my hopes went down the drain with your rude post and your your caustic style, not to mention your commandeering of my post and inserting your histrionics and your views, however false some of them are. Anyway, it's not

ISANG PAG-PUGAY PO SINYONG LAHAT!

it's

Isang pagpugay sa inyong lahat!

and a real Filipino would have caught that easily.

To everybody else:
I'm sure I'm not going to see an intelligent closure to these threads so I'll just leave it to the reader to come to the Philippines and see for themselves... English is spoken anyway, and so is Spanish, in a small minority (but still much bigger than French, German or Italian speakers., which was the original issue, really) Not to denigrate these languages... these are lovely languages and I've studied them as well, but Spanish dominates over them, as a matter of fact, over here, regardless of the false assertions of the spanish-haters in these forums.

Peace to all, aber ich muss jetzt leider gehen...
Ciao!
Guest   Wed May 14, 2008 2:26 pm GMT
What the fuck? N. AMERICA (with Mexico) = French & Spanish

No way, Spanish is splitting into numerous languages. That is nothing to the adherence of Canadian French to Pariisan French.
N America = French and English
S America = Portuguese
Europe = French
Africa = French
Asia = English

French wins , English is second. Spanish doesn't even appear.