Hebrew constructed?

Berlusconi   Sat May 17, 2008 10:36 am GMT
Is Hebrew considered a constructed language? Is it possible that something similar to the Hebrew movement in the 19th century could revive another dead language? What would need to happen for such a thing to occur? Would it be possible for a completely new constructed language to be revived, eg Esperanto, or would the driving reason have to be cultural/religious?

Good Dusk.
Skippy   Sat May 17, 2008 1:51 pm GMT
I don't believe it's considered a 'constructed language' although certainly parts of it are constructed (but not much more so than in other languages) in the sense that words like "electricity" had to be constructed. Nevertheless for the most part it is largely considered to have taken off where it left off (so to speak)...
Berlusconi   Sun May 18, 2008 12:13 am GMT
Can we expect a Latin revival any time soon? Maybe if God is proven to exist... lol
Berlusconi   Sun May 18, 2008 12:20 am GMT
But if Esperanto became a real language, then what would be the difference? Esperanto already has significant amounts of material, just waiting to be used! The same as Hebrew had. All we need now is a reason... but one is not forthcoming.

Good Dawn.
Guest   Sun May 18, 2008 1:38 am GMT
<<Is Hebrew considered a constructed language?>>

Modern "hebrew" spoken in isreal is.
Guest   Sun May 18, 2008 1:40 am GMT
<Can we expect a Latin revival any time soon?>>

What would be the purpose of it?

I don't undestand people's fascination with latin.
K. T.   Sun May 18, 2008 2:34 am GMT
"Maybe if God is proven to exist... lol"

Hebrew would seem more of a proof for that, not Latin. I do see Latin is becoming more popular. It's relative, though. No one has asked me for directions in Latin yet.
Guest   Sun May 18, 2008 10:22 am GMT
> Is Hebrew considered a constructed language?
> Is it possible that something similar to the Hebrew movement in the 19th century could revive another dead language?

The Hebrew is not a dead language or a constructed language because it has exist a very small group of native speakers (the Rabi of Judaism) still using this language in their daily live and make the practices of Judaism for more than two thousand years. When the Hebrew movement in the 19th century they only make a promotion of Hebrew to a large group population and added many new vocabularies to this old language.