Spanish H - H castellana

Warnow   Mon May 19, 2008 11:43 am GMT
Hi!

Spanish is said to be a phonetic language. I wonder, what's the function of the letter H (except in the combination CH) in Spanish if it's not pronounced anyway?

Hola!

Dicen que el castellano es un idioma fonético. Pues cuál es la función de la letra H (salvo en la combinación CH) si no se pronuncia?
Podría escribir:
"Hel casthellanho hes hun hidihoma fonhéthico" y al pronunciar suena lo mismo.

Saludos
Guest   Mon May 19, 2008 11:51 am GMT
Initial Spanish h is aspired like in English : hacha, higo, higuera. H in the middle of a word is silent.
Guest   Mon May 19, 2008 12:20 pm GMT
Historia,amigo ,historia.
La vaquera de la finojosa->Hinojosa with and h silent nowadays.
He aquí las SERRANILLAS

MoÇa tan fermosa
Non vi en la frontera
Como una vaquera
De la Finojosa

Faciendo la vía
Del Calatraveño
A Santa María,
vencido del sueño,
por tierra fragosa,
perdí la carrera,
do vi la vaquera
de la Finojosa

En un verde prado
De rosas e flores,
Guardando ganado,
Con otros pastores,
La vi tan graciosa,
Que apenas creyera
Que fuese vaquera
De la Finojosa.

Non creo las rosas
De la primavera
Sean tan fermosas,
Nin de tal manera,
Fablando sin glosa
Si antes supiera
De aquella vaquera
De la Finojosa.

Non tanto mirara
Su mucha beldad
Porque me dejara
en mi libertad.
Mas dije- "Donosa,
Por saber quien era,
Aquella vaquera
De la Finojosa..."

Bien como riendo,
Dijo-"Bien vengades,
Que ya bien entiendo
Lo que demandades:
Non es deseosa
De amar, nin lo espera,
Aquesa vaquera
De la Finojosa ".

Can you see those f's.

and here it is Hinojosa del duque in Cordoba where MARQUES DE SANTILLANA o sea Iñigo López de Mendoza found a la hermosa Vaquera de la Finojosa. I think it was love at first sight around 1440.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7904468529223689549&q=&hl=es

So now you see why those h's.
Warnow   Mon May 19, 2008 12:59 pm GMT
Aha, I remember that.

But how about words like 'Hueso', where historically there's no H there?
Guest   Mon May 19, 2008 1:16 pm GMT
It's an evolution from latin. This is an explanation in spanish,sorry:

Hueso proviene del latin ossum.
Las palabras que llevan h tienen detrás el diptongo ue, mientras que las palabras que no llevan h empiezan por 'o'. La raíz original latina de todas estas palabras es la que empieza con 'o', que en castellano ha diptongado en 'ue'.
Durante la Edad Media, una vez que el diptongo ue ya se había formado, se cogió la costumbre de escribir delante de las palabras que empezaban por ue una h para evitar que la u se confundiera con una v, dando lugar a lecturas incorrectas como *veso (hueso), *vevo (huevo), *velo (huelo), etc., pues era común usar indistintamente la u con su función vocálica (u) o consonántica heredada del latín (v).

This way óseo, oval, oler don't start with 'h'. So this is a different 'history' from the previous one.
So all in all you should see 'h' as an historic mark and i hope this mark doesn't change because it's not difficult to identify them. Usually the words you have to learn start with 'h' and don't have h in the middle of the words. Words like deshacer have 'h' in the middle becasue is composed of the prefix 'des' and the verb 'hacer' (which comes from latin facere).
Guest   Mon May 19, 2008 1:19 pm GMT
"Initial Spanish h is aspired like in English : hacha, higo, higuera. H in the middle of a word is silent."

I think you're wrong, as a general fact the letter h is always silent in Spanish, so in this particular matter Spanish is not phonetic but rather a etymological language, see the message above. Nevertheless, in some accents the h is indeed aspirated, especially the h that was an f in latin, por example "el higo". It's not consider proper Spanish, but you can hear it in Andalusia from some not very well-educated people, or with some colloquial or offensive words like the one a wrote earlier.
Guest   Mon May 19, 2008 2:04 pm GMT
No language is 100% phonetical and Spanish is not the exception, however it comes pretty close, but one of its faults is the letter "H" as you mentioned, it is not pronounced, it is pretty easy to remember what words have it but if it was up to me I would get rid of it to make the language even more phonetic.
Guest   Mon May 19, 2008 2:24 pm GMT
Oye preious guest creo que te has equivocado de hilo.
Guest   Mon May 19, 2008 2:26 pm GMT
!ah no! que hay un imbecil suelto escribiendo el mismo mensaje.
Guest   Mon May 19, 2008 2:28 pm GMT
<< !ah no! que hay un imbecil suelto escribiendo el mismo mensaje. >>

Eres imbecil y loco!
Guest   Mon May 19, 2008 2:38 pm GMT
<<This way óseo, oval, oler don't start with 'h'. >>

How come "hora" starts with "h"? Interestingly, you have the same silent "h" in "hour" and "heure", which presumably all come from the same place.
Guest   Mon May 19, 2008 2:53 pm GMT
Sure FRANGAYHEMAPHRODITE have cocks but they also have pussy too.

Now I know why GAYBACHOSPHRODITES breed like rabbits because they can make love to their own selves. And now I know why the Romans called what is now France"Gaul= FUCKING SHIT OF SMALL RABBIT".

tell this to the destitute on the streets of FRANCE who lick their own dick and asshole full of shit in order not to die of intense heat. Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Gallus also means eunuch in Latin:

Galli (singular Gallus) was the Roman name for castrated followers of the Phrygian goddess Cybele, which were regarded as a third gender by contemporary Roman scholars,[citation needed] comparable to transgendered people in the modern world. The chief of these priests was referred to as a battakes, and later as the archigallus.Hieronymus believed the name was given by the Romans as a sign of their contempt for the Gauls.

So the Gauls were eunuchs and their descendants too. This fact explains why French sounds so gay! They lack what real men have.

FUCK GAY FRENCH MONKEYSSSS !!!!

IROS A COMERLE LA POLLA A VUESTROS PADRES HIJOS DE LA GRAN PUTA!!!!!!!!!!!!
Guest   Mon May 19, 2008 2:54 pm GMT
ispania also means hemaphrodite in Latin:

Hispani (singular Hispanus) was the Roman name for castrated followers of the Phrygian goddess Cybele, which were regarded as a third gender by contemporary Roman scholars,[citation needed] comparable to transgendered people in the modern world. The chief of these priests was referred to as a battakes, and later as the archigallus.Hieronymus believed the name was given by the Romans as a sign of their contempt for the Hispanians.

So the Hispanians were hemaphrodite and their descendants too. This fact explains why hispanics sounds so gay! They have both male and female genitalia hust like the female hyenas who have pseudo penis like their HERpanic counterparts.

Arret de faire le baboune gai, HISPANIC DUNG BEETLE!

SODOMIZE GAY HISPANIC MONKEYSSSS !!!!
Guest   Mon May 19, 2008 2:58 pm GMT
Sure FRANGAYHEMAPHRODITE have cocks but they also have pussy too.

Now I know why GAYBACHOSPHRODITES breed like rabbits because they can make love to their own selves. And now I know why the Romans called what is now France"Gaul= FUCKING SHIT OF SMALL RABBIT".

tell this to the destitute on the streets of FRANCE who lick their own dick and asshole full of shit in order not to die of intense heat. Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Gallus also means eunuch in Latin:

Galli (singular Gallus) was the Roman name for castrated followers of the Phrygian goddess Cybele, which were regarded as a third gender by contemporary Roman scholars,[citation needed] comparable to transgendered people in the modern world. The chief of these priests was referred to as a battakes, and later as the archigallus.Hieronymus believed the name was given by the Romans as a sign of their contempt for the Gauls.

So the Gauls were eunuchs and their descendants too. This fact explains why French sounds so gay! They lack what real men have.

Warnow   Mon May 19, 2008 5:27 pm GMT
<< It's an evolution from latin. This is an explanation in spanish,sorry:

Hueso proviene del latin ossum.
Las palabras que llevan h tienen detrás el diptongo ue, mientras que las palabras que no llevan h empiezan por 'o'. La raíz original latina de todas estas palabras es la que empieza con 'o', que en castellano ha diptongado en 'ue'.
Durante la Edad Media, una vez que el diptongo ue ya se había formado, se cogió la costumbre de escribir delante de las palabras que empezaban por ue una h para evitar que la u se confundiera con una v, dando lugar a lecturas incorrectas como *veso (hueso), *vevo (huevo), *velo (huelo), etc., pues era común usar indistintamente la u con su función vocálica (u) o consonántica heredada del latín (v).

This way óseo, oval, oler don't start with 'h'. So this is a different 'history' from the previous one.
So all in all you should see 'h' as an historic mark and i hope this mark doesn't change because it's not difficult to identify them. Usually the words you have to learn start with 'h' and don't have h in the middle of the words. Words like deshacer have 'h' in the middle becasue is composed of the prefix 'des' and the verb 'hacer' (which comes from latin facere). >>

I see.

Thank you very much!