niggardly

Guest   Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:09 pm GMT
<<If there is anything which is destroying western cultures it's political correctness verging on insanity. >>

I wonder how long it will be before they have to take "Spic and Span" off the market in the US?
Guest   Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:56 pm GMT
There's nothing wrong with the word, but I would caution against using it because it is a relatively unknown word and you may be perceived as saying the *other* N- word.

But in writing, this confusion would be less likely to occur.
Guest   Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:58 pm GMT
<<I think many people incorrectly think that niggardly is connected to the word "nigger". That's why people suggest not using it, but we shouldn't let such ignorant people influence our language use. >>

I agree.
Guest   Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:59 pm GMT
<<I wonder what prompted you to ask whether it was acceptable to use this word? As if I didn't know..... It's a perfectly ordinary word in fairly common use, and if certain people react negatively to its use then it's a perfect display of absolute ignorance. If there is anything which is destroying western cultures it's political correctness verging on insanity. >>

So, Damian, is it safe to say that where you reside in Scotland, that there is not the same stigmatization applied to this word there as it is here in the US? I find this interesting...
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:45 pm GMT
Actually I can't ever think of an occasion when I've personally used the word "niggardly", and I'm certain I've never heard any of my friends use it. Come to think of it I can't ever remember ever hearing it used in the media either so my assertion that it's "in fairly common use" may well have been a slip of the tongue on my part, so to speak. I have seen it in print though, so that let's me off the hook I reckon.

Common sense, however, would tell me never to use the word either in mixed race company, or when in an area with a high ethnic population.

I'd probably get my lights punched out were I ever to say it in a pub in Brixton or Clapham where I'd instantly stand out as being a snowflake, not that there's ever much of a chance of me being in a pub in Brixton or Clapham in the first place. B and C are areas of South London where the ratio of black to white in the general population is about 6:1.
Guest   Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:31 pm GMT
<Common sense, however, would tell me never to use the word either in mixed race company, or when in an area with a high ethnic population.>

You think black people won't know the word, do you?
MollyB   Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:37 pm GMT
Here's how "niggardly" appeared, per million words, in Time magazine over the years:

1920s - 0.9
1930s - 0.9
1940s - 0.8
1950s - 0.5
1960s - 0.7
1970s - 0.5
1980s - 0.3
1990s - 0.7
2000s - 0.3
JohnnyC   Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:19 pm GMT
Most people I know understand the definition but it sounds so similar to the most verboten word in the US that people avoid it. You can use it, but you'll constantly have to defend yourself and there will be plenty of people who are a bit too sensitive who will accuse you of using it *because* it sounds so similar to the forbidden word.
Guest   Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:41 pm GMT
"I'm not justifying their ignorance, I'm just giving you some good advice on how to keep yourself safe... "

Exactly, the word is not often used. Though it is used often enough for most people to recognize it; the context, sound, and negative meaning of it will get you in to trouble.
Guest   Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:36 pm GMT
<<1920s - 0.9
1930s - 0.9
1940s - 0.8
1950s - 0.5
1960s - 0.7
1970s - 0.5
1980s - 0.3
1990s - 0.7
2000s - 0.3 >>

I bet each time you see a spike (1960s, 1990s) it's due to them talking about how much it sounds like 'n*ggerly'
Johnny   Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:43 pm GMT
If you look at this article, it looks like you might want to forget about that word. In the end, you really don't need it, and it really doesn't seem to be used very often.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controversies_about_the_word_"niggardly"
JohnnyC   Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:18 am GMT
<<If you look at this article, it looks like you might want to forget about that word.>>

Good article Johnny. At least here in the US where sensibilities around the subject run high, use of the word will likely get you into trouble. Since other words are available to express the same thought, it makes sense to use a word that will cause a lot less trouble for you.
Moocow   Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:38 am GMT
Why use expressions that you know are liable to lead to you getting your ass whooped?
MollyB   Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:47 am GMT
<I bet each time you see a spike (1960s, 1990s) it's due to them talking about how much it sounds like 'n*ggerly' >

Why not check it out: http://corpus.byu.edu/time/x.asp
MollyB   Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:56 am GMT
Here are a few:

-68 1999/02/15 David Howard, an aide who had offended some colleagues by using the term niggardly. Howard agreed to return to the administration in another, yet-to-be-announced position. #
-69 2000/01/31 dumb racial controversies like the idiotic fuss in Washington last year over the word niggardly? Cut the Ebonics, Kingfish! If there's another STUPID racial fight going
-70 2000/01/08 a white official's resignation after he came under fire for using the word niggardly. There's the mess those telecommunications companies have made of our downtown streets with