three favourite languages

virag   Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:56 pm GMT
Which are your favourite 3 languages and why?

Mine:

Arabic musical and seductive
French sensual and posh
European portuguese longing and evocative
Day   Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:23 pm GMT
Here's my list from most favorite to least:

1) Italian: Most melodious and beautiful language ever (IMO). It's pretty easier to speak and I like how there's very little exceptions in grammar.

2) English: The most useful language in the world, I just like speaking it in general. It's pretty nice to listen to and isn't too difficult (at least for some non-natives).

3) French: It sounds chic and elegant. I'm not too keen on the silent letters at the end of words, but I've gotten used to it.

4) Latin: It's a challenging and wonderful-sounding language. A lot of culture (Roman Empire) surrounds it, which I'm very interested in.

5) Romanian: It just sounds cool and exotic; Romania has a nice culture, too.

6) Russian: I love the way it sounds: exotic and harsh at the same time. At the same time, the harshness can be a little annoying.
gajo   Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:25 pm GMT
I like how there's very little exceptions in grammar

Have you ever learnt real Italian?? Its grammar is no easy at all lots of exceptions in verbal system and syntax?
mallorqui   Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:31 pm GMT
Spanish: the easiest and the most regular one amongst the romance languages

Russian: lovely sounds and rich literature

Greek: simply wonderful
monique   Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:38 pm GMT
Romanian sounds awful to me
lec   Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:45 pm GMT
German
Arabic
British English
Day   Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:20 am GMT
<<Have you ever learnt real Italian?? Its grammar is no easy at all lots of exceptions in verbal system and syntax?>>

Yes, I have learned Italian, but I learned French before that. I was actually sort of comparing Italian to French in my head so that's why I wrote what I wrote.
Usersh   Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:38 am GMT
Spanish: Its easy and all its accents are beautiful.
French: Despites its dificulty, it sounds nice and elegant..
Japanese: Not spoken but sang in Anime and stuff like that.
Toraz   Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:33 am GMT
1. Hiri Motu - cool and exotic sounding
2. Hottentot - despite its difficulty, it sounds nice and elegant
3. Bislama - not spoken, but sang in ancient cronicles and stuff like that
Shuimo   Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:21 am GMT
Chinese: genuinely rivaless poetic quality, both musically and visually
English: matchless usefulness in practical matters of this global age
third: XXX language, yet to find out, haha
Lei   Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:44 am GMT
"Chinese: genuinely rivaless poetic quality, both musically and visually"

You must be kidding right? Chinese has great poetry both musically and visually? Right...

Mandarin sounds so annoying and especially in Beijing Opera. Unless you were talking about Cantonese opera. That's not too bad.
lluis   Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:13 am GMT
Yes, I have learned Italian, but I learned French before that. I was actually sort of comparing Italian to French in my head so that's why I wrote what I wrote.

I know French and Italian too and in my view, Italian articles and prepositions are a bit more complicated than French ones, Italian also has some weird plurals, unlike Spanish for instance, whose plurals are totally regular. In addition at a high level the Italian verbal system is more complicated than the French one, particularly for the usage of more tenses in the subjuctive mood and a more complicated use of the auxiliary verbs. Italian pronunciation is probably easier than the French one but to master the proper difference between double and simple consonants is not easy at all, especially for the speakers of other romance languages.
J.C.   Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:47 am GMT
1) Japanese

2) German

3) Chinese
J.C.   Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:53 am GMT
"but to master the proper difference between double and simple consonants is not easy at all, especially for the speakers of other romance languages."
I have to disagree from you because double consonant is not something particular only about Italian. I learned it when I studied Japanese and it isn't that complicated. What I struggle with is say double consonants at the beginning of the word like in Korean. I still struggle to say "quickly" in Korean, which is 빠르다 and starts with a double P. Can anybody help me with the romanization?

Grazie mille!!
italofilo   Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:28 am GMT
As a matter of fact, most Portuguese, Spanish and Romanian speakers tend to pronounce and (write) Italian without double consonants, this sounds awful, believe me....

contudo, portugues é a lingua mais bonita do mundo :-)
obrigadinho