which accent do you prefer British or American?

SpaceFlight   Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:34 am GMT
<<Natives can easily make nonnative mistakes in their writing if they're purposely trying to pull of different personas, especially when they've been accused (rightfully so) of transparent writing styles with multiple personas.>>

Hmm, but you've said many times before on other threads that it's impossible for a native speaker to speak their language incorrectly. You're now contradicting what you've said all along.
Terry   Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:35 am GMT
<<Yeah, the dialectal situation in New England can be quite complex. ;-) >>

That, I think, is an understatement, Lazar.:) Boston alone has so many different dialects.

<<Emeril Lagasse (also from Fall River, MA), who likewise exhibits non-rhotacism and the trap-bath split but nonetheless is f-b merged and c-c unmerged.>>

Yes, definitely Fall River, but I've heard people born and raised in Boston who have a very similar accent.

Another point: Connecticut seems, with a few exceptions, to have very little of the New England accent. They seem to have, for lack of a better word, the so-called CNN accent. Now the old old farmers and there are few of them left, of course, but they sound almost, if not exactly the same as farmers from Maine and New Hampshire.
SpaceFlight   Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:38 am GMT
<<He is a troll, who constantly starts threads by quoting an old inflammatory post or nincompoop spelling reform and asking us what we think of it.>>

When will people stop abusing the word ''troll''. A troll is a mythological creature, which forum people often abuse and give a different meaning then it actually has. I'm clearly not a troll, as trolls don't exist. There's no such thing as a troll.
Lazar   Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:48 am GMT
<<Connecticut seems, with a few exceptions, to have very little of the New England accent.>>

Yeah, of all the different areas of New England, Connecticut is definitely the one whose dialect most closely approximates General American. I say who needs 'em - half of them are Yankee fans anyway. ;-)
SpaceFlight   Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:49 am GMT
<<SpaceFlight constantly posts under aliases (Don, Al, Joe, etc.), each from a different area of the English-speaking world, and has on occasion had conversations with himself under these aliases.>>

Only one of those names was ever mine, and it's been a long time since I've ever posted under it.

<<Kirk has every reason to be angry with him.>>

I have every reason to be angry with you, Lazar. Kirk can't tell the difference between the writing of a native speaker and a nonnative speaker. He's even contradicted himself on this forum, by at first saying that it's not possible for a native speaker to speak their language incorrectly and then saying that it is possible. Why then, does Kirk have every reason to be angry with me. By the way, the apology was only on Unilang (I haven't apologized in any other forums) and I've consistantly used ''SpaceFlight'' as my name in that forum. I haven't posted there in a while though.
Lazar   Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:58 am GMT
<<He's even contradicted himself on this forum, by at first saying that it's not possible for a native speaker to speak their language incorrectly and then saying that it is possible.>>

Kirk has made no contradiction. He pointed out that it's impossible for a native speaker to speak their language incorrectly in everyday native speech. Obviously it's possible to make intentional, non-native errors if you're doing an impression of a non-native speaker.

And regardless of whether Writing Interpretor is you or not, it is indisputable that you have posted under aliases here very recently. Your writing style and troll tactics betray you.

<<By the way, the apology was only on Unilang (I haven't apologized in any other forums) and I've consistantly used ''SpaceFlight'' as my name in that forum.>>

Oh, I see - the apology and commitment to honesty that you made only apply to your activities on Unilang. Your logic here reaches a level of ridiculousness and sliminess that's hard to encapsulate in words.
Terry   Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:29 am GMT
<<Yeah, of all the different areas of New England, Connecticut is definitely the one whose dialect most closely approximates General American. I say who needs 'em - half of them are Yankee fans anyway. ;-) >>

LOL! Yes, "Socks" all the way!
Kirk   Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:18 am GMT
<<SpaceFlight constantly posts under aliases (Don, Al, Joe, etc.), each from a different area of the English-speaking world, and has on occasion had conversations with himself under these aliases. When he was caught for this, he apologized and promised never to do so again, yet from this point onward he has continued posting under aliases as usual. He is a troll, who constantly starts threads by quoting an old inflammatory post or nincompoop spelling reform and asking us what we think of it. Kirk has every reason to be angry with him.>>

We all do.

<<Oh, I see - the apology and commitment to honesty that you made only apply to your activities on Unilang. Your logic here reaches a level of ridiculousness and sliminess that's hard to encapsulate in words.>>

Haha! Totally agreed. I had to laugh at the logic on that one...so, because he apologized on Unilang and not on other forums (for doing the same stuff), he should be perfectly entitled to continue his trollery on the forums he didn't apologize on (and, I'll note, the only reason he ever did on Unilang was because he was caught--not out of some heartfelt change in ways)??! I don't think so.

<<And regardless of whether Writing Interpretor is you or not, it is indisputable that you have posted under aliases here very recently. Your writing style and troll tactics betray you>>

And betray they do! It's so obvious...

<<Yeah, of all the different areas of New England, Connecticut is definitely the one whose dialect most closely approximates General American. I say who needs 'em - half of them are Yankee fans anyway.>>

Hehe--I wonder if there's an isogloss for Sox and Yankee fans as well, and how well they match up with dialectal isoglosses ;)
SpaceFlight   Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:31 am GMT
<<We all do.>>

Why do you like to insult people, Kirk? Is it okay if people insult you. People have every reason to be angry with you, especially since you commonly say the untrue statement of how ''It's not possible for native speakers to speak their language incorrectly''.
SpaceFlight   Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:37 am GMT
<<(and, I'll note, the only reason he ever did on Unilang was because he was caught--not out of some heartfelt change in ways)??! I don't think so.>>

How do you know why? Can you read minds or something? I don't think so. And that's not the reason. That would be like me saying why you did something, when I clearly can't read your mind and so would never know exactly why you did it unless you told me.
SpaceFlight   Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:00 am GMT
<<he should be perfectly entitled to continue his trollery on the forums he didn't apologize on (and, I'll note, the only reason he ever did on Unilang was because he was caught--not out of some heartfelt change in ways)??! I don't think so.>>

I didn't even make up any new names on the Zompist board. It was just that ''Bill'' was my username for that forum. I even clarified in my signature that I went by SpaceFlight in the other forum, but apparantly Kirk is too dumb to have realized that. If Kirk weren't so dumb he would have realized.

If you want proof, check out this thread http://www.spinnoff.com/zbb/viewtopic.php?t=13866&start=0&sid=7bff5384787f5b0f907642417ffde97a and have a look at my signature. Maybe Kirk didn't see it.
Guest   Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:08 am GMT
<<Why do you like to insult people, Kirk? Is it okay if people insult you. People have every reason to be angry with you, especially since you commonly say the untrue statement of how ''It's not possible for native speakers to speak their language incorrectly''.>>

Kirk was speaking very specifically about one's *native dialect*. If you are doing an impression of a non-native speaker and making non-native errors, then you are *not* speaking your native dialect.
Lazar   Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:09 am GMT
The "Guest" above is me.
Lazar   Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:14 am GMT
<<If you want proof, check out this thread http://www.spinnoff.com/zbb/viewtopic.php?t=13866&start=0&sid=7bff5384787f5b0f907642417ffde97a and have a look at my signature. Maybe Kirk didn't see it.>>

Not to be cynical, but maybe you just made that your signature 20 minutes ago.
SpaceFlight   Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:17 am GMT
Even if I did, I'd have to edit my post in order for it to be added. And it does show on these forums when you've editted your post.