villages of France

M. Blanck   Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:21 pm GMT
<<What does mean typical? where ever you are in France, you still are in France and everything you see is french. >>

This is France:

http://www.vashanti.com/images/tour_eiffel.jpg

However, is this really typical? How many of these are there scattered about France? (I suppose they would make good cellphone towers, though.)

Actually, it sort of reminds me of this:

http://image04.webshots.com/4/8/67/89/52986789dPBYaP_fs.jpg

which is not anywhere near France at all.
American   Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:26 pm GMT
This is France:

http://www.vashanti.com/images/tour_eiffel.jpg

However, is this really typical? How many of these are there scattered about France? (I suppose they would make good cellphone towers, though.)

I thought the French live in Eiffel towers placed across France.
noneuian   Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:31 pm GMT
<<I thought the French live in Eiffel towers placed across France. >>

In America, according to urban legend at least, quite a few homeless folks live under bridges similar to the Queensborough.
yarienafaire   Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:55 pm GMT
see the movie "bienvenue chez les Ch'ti" to understand how this region is seen quite foreign for the rest of the country

n'importe quoi! Confonds pas les "Français" et les parisiens, on connait notre pays, y'a que les parigots qui foutent pas un pieds en dehors de leur foutue capitale, nous les "provinciaux" on connait notre pays.
gargantua   Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:58 pm GMT
""If by "northern France" you mean the very northern regions of Picardy-Nord-pas-de-Calais (those north than Paris) (to which we could had Normandy thanks to Vikings), it is clear that they show visible germanic influences, and that concerning these regions we can speak of a sort of latin-germanic mixed culture, or even fully germanic some decades ago in french Flanders.

To me, who live in Paris, Pas-de-Calais region has often more to see with Belgium, Netherlands or even England than to my city in a lot of aspects (flemish/red-brick architectures, lots of germanic looking city names, beer-drinking culture, fries, flemish/Dutch cooking, etc) (Cf. see the movie "bienvenue chez les Ch'ti" to understand how this region is seen quite foreign for the rest of the country). Alsace and parts of Lorraine also can be considered to have a sort of latin-germanic culture (German-like, while Nord-pas-de-Calais is more Flemish/Dutch-like)
In a lesser extend Normandy, due to the viking influence could also.""

qu'est ce que c'est que cette connerie ?
guest   Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:12 pm GMT
" qu'est ce que c'est que cette connerie ? "

C'est la réalité. Il y a en France des régions différentes. Les régions frontalières ont souvent sur un certain nombre d'aspects communs avec les régions voisines du pays d'à coté. Celà est vrai avec le NPDC qui ressemble beaucoup à la Belgique; la Corse à la Sardaigne, le comté de Nice à la ligurie, le pays Basque Français au pays Basque Espagnol, l'Alsace au Bade-wurtemberg...
Ouest   Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:05 am GMT
just a comment Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:01 pm GMT
" So you think, too, that Northern France might be germanic or somehow mixed latin-germanic? "

If by "northern France" you mean the very northern regions of Picardy-Nord-pas-de-Calais (those north than Paris) (to which we could had Normandy thanks to Vikings), it is clear that they show visible germanic influences, and that concerning these regions we can speak of a sort of latin-germanic mixed culture, or even fully germanic some decades ago in french Flanders.

To me, who live in Paris, Pas-de-Calais region has often more to see with Belgium, Netherlands or even England than to my city in a lot of aspects (flemish/red-brick architectures, lots of germanic looking city names, beer-drinking culture, fries, flemish/Dutch cooking, etc) (Cf. see the movie "bienvenue chez les Ch'ti" to understand how this region is seen quite foreign for the rest of the country). Alsace and also can be considered to have a sort of latin-germanic culture (German-like, while Nord-pas-de-Calais is more Flemish/Dutch-like)
In a lesser extend Normandy, due to the viking influence could also.

But if by "northern France", you mean the whole northern half, or even the part north of Loire valley only, I clearly don't agree.
________________________________________--

Don´t you think that all is a matter of time here: aren´t French parts of Bruxelles, Alsace, parts of Lorraine and Luxembourg as well as Pas-de-Calais region only the formerly Germanic regions that have most recently switched to Germanic-French mixed language an culture? didn´t Normandy, South part of Lorraine and Vosges departement only have switched in earlyer centuries? And "northern France", I mean the whole northern part north of Loire valley only, Burgundy as well as French parts of Swizzerland switched even earlyer?
Ouest   Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:19 am GMT
I ment earlier, sorry...;-)
just a comment   Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:35 am GMT
" Don´t you think that all is a matter of time here:"

Everything is a question of time when we speak about history
Of course that language areas change with time, before bebing romance speaking, most areas of romance-speaking Europe did speak celtic languages before.

"aren´t French parts of Bruxelles, Alsace, parts of Lorraine and Luxembourg as well as Pas-de-Calais region only the formerly Germanic regions that have most recently switched to Germanic-French mixed language an culture?"

this is history.

" didn´t Normandy, South part of Lorraine and Vosges departement only have switched in earlyer centuries? "

Well, it is attested that vikings did learn french very quickly, as soon as they arrive in what is now Normandy. You must have in mind that it was not an empty land, and that there were a long-time rooted romance language and people in Normandy which was not relaced bu the nordic rulers. The same happened than with the Franks; the rulers adopted the language of the majority.

" And "northern France", I mean the whole northern part north of Loire valley only, Burgundy as well as French parts of Swizzerland switched even earlyer? "

nobody has prooved that these areas did have spoken a romance language, which was replaced by a germanic one, and once again re-became romance... this is very unprobale. In these areas, as in the rest of the frankish-ruled area frankish was probably spoken by a part of the ruling minority for some time, but in romance-speaking areas.

There is no reason that romance language would have come again to be spoken in north of Loire if these areas were germanic-speaking for the fisrt centuries of middle ages. For the simple reason that the parrallel with the re-romanization of Brussels, Alsace or northern Lorraine can't be made: these areas become french speaking with the political influence of Parisian centralized romance-speaking power of France... If all the north of Loire was germanic-speaking, the centralized power, wich comes from north of Loire areas, would be also germanic-speaking (especially since at those times it was a royal power mainly based on descent of Franks), and it would have been this germanic language that would have been spread in all France by the centralized, from nord-pas-de-Calais to Corsica. This was not what we observed since french is a romance language.
Lobo   Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:51 pm GMT
Vous devriez lire la théorie du Nordwestblock sur Wikipedia, je crois qu'elle doit être considérée, vous pourriez y trouver quelques explications à certaines de vos interrogations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordwestblock
guest   Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:14 pm GMT
cnablis   Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:34 pm GMT
Most of what we've seen so far looks old.

Wouldn't these be more representtive of modern France:

http://blogs.princeton.edu/chm333/f2006/nuclear/France%20enrichment%20plant.gif

http://www.dassaultfalcon.com/content/imagecontent.jsp?DESCRIPTION=14a
guest   Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:06 pm GMT
noneuian   Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:29 pm GMT
<<we're talking about traditional architecture here, not about nuclear plants or factories>>

What could be more quintessentially French these days than nuclear power plants or aerospace factories? Hi-speed trains, maybe? wine? cheese? perfume? mining?, smelting?, steelmaking? carmaking? computers?
guest   Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:35 am GMT
" What could be more quintessentially French these days than nuclear power plants or aerospace factories? "

Tourism... Tourists that comes to France mainly come to see the old architecture. I don't think they come back to their country saying: France is full of plane and rocket factories, I visited all the most famous nuclear plants, etc.