Danish in Greenland

Green   Mon May 18, 2009 11:59 pm GMT
How do Greenlanders sound when they speak Danish? Why are they abolishing Danish as an official language in Greenland?
imperialist   Tue May 19, 2009 12:06 am GMT
<<Why are they abolishing Danish as an official language in Greenland? >>

Political correctness? Is Danish the language of the hated imperialist oppressors?
sooth   Tue May 19, 2009 4:12 am GMT
They speak Greenlandic. It's pointless for them to learn Danish also. Better to speak Greenlandic and learn English. There's no room for an utterly useless second language when you can learn English instead (which all Danes speak anyway).
Guest   Tue May 19, 2009 5:15 am GMT
I know how the Icelanders feel about Danish. I'd imagine the Greenlanders have even more negative feelings...
fraz   Tue May 19, 2009 10:14 am GMT
Didn't the people of Greenland vote for independence recently? In that case, it would be naturual to install their native tongue as the official language.

I don't think Danish will be abandoned though, at least not for the time being. Far more people in Greenland are able to communicate through Danish than English at the moment. Although in time this will probably change, just like German is losing its grip to English in places like Poland and Hungary.
Lee esto   Tue May 19, 2009 10:18 am GMT
It's a pity that the Danish abandon Greenland. when the global warming melts down the ice in Greenland, it will become a beautiful continent suitable for human activity. Then Denarmk would become a very big a powerful country.
acc   Tue May 19, 2009 4:50 pm GMT
They have no accent whatsoever when speaking Danish.
fraz   Wed May 20, 2009 7:54 am GMT
Apparently the Greenlandic numbering system stops at 12, and Danish numbers have to be substituted for expressing higher amounts.