Learning Farsi

BoyToy   Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:52 am GMT
I find the language and its country very interesting, and I would like to give it a try. What are the advantages of knowing Farsi? How do Iranians treat foreigners who attempt to speak their language? What position does Farsi have on the international arena?
Domine   Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:26 pm GMT
">I find the language and its country very interesting, and I would like to give it a try. What are the advantages of knowing Farsi? How do Iranians treat foreigners who attempt to speak their language? What position does Farsi have on the international arena?<"

Excellent. Try learning it; the language has ties with Sanskirt, Dari and Kurdish. In addition foreigners are treated with humility and respect as foreigners are guests in their country - usually they will help you out on the basics apropos learning their language. Farsi iis not really popular in the international arena.
rep   Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:29 pm GMT
Dari and Farsi are two forms of one Persian language.
Flavius   Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:32 pm GMT
If you are European or American, they will not treat you "well", no matter how good Farsi you spoke. If you tried to speak their language, they might even be hostile to you, because they would think that you are trying to be one of them. Iranians have that "we speak our language and foreigners speak their own foreign languages" mentality. I do not recommend learning Farsi.

If you are Arab or Turk or something like that, they may appreciate your knowing their language.
Clo   Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:29 pm GMT
What if I'm Russian?
Domine   Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:18 am GMT
">If you are European or American, they will not treat you "well", no matter how good Farsi you spoke. If you tried to speak their language, they might even be hostile to you, because they would think that you are trying to be one of them. Iranians have that "we speak our language and foreigners speak their own foreign languages" mentality. I do not recommend learning Farsi.

If you are Arab or Turk or something like that, they may appreciate your knowing their language.<"

Stereotypes do not necessarily apply to all, it only suggests the probablity of people being like described. However, thankfully I have gotten to know some Iranians from abroad and ones born natively here in the U.S.A., I personally feel it is the other way around. As I have found out many foreigners tend to be...