Modern French Music Artists?

Jérémy   Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:31 pm GMT
It depends. Québecois French is not so strong in songs but I suspect it is because the only Québecois singers I know are the ones who are known internationally, such as Isabelle Boulay. There's a clear distinction between the way they speak and the way they sing. But I guess Québecois singers who are only known in Quebec might keep a strong accent in songs too.
Yet, it is true that Lynda Lemay still clings to her accent even when singing. And I do find it very lovely !

I think you shouldn't say that the Quebecois (don't say "Canadian", you could offend them lol it's as if you told Welsh or Irish people that they're English) is "BAD". There's no bad accent as long as it's an authentic accent. Additionally, most French people (including myself) find the Quebecois accent very lovely, light and fresh. HOWEVER, if you learn French you should not base yourself on Quebecois French because it is VERY different from "French French"; even though most of us French people find it lovely, we also tend to find it ... quite funny. It sound odd and old-fashioned; in particular, vowels are ofte, longer and include many dipthongs where French French does not (very English sounding), which makes it sound a bit twisted. Unfortunately, the Quebecois accent does not help people from Quebec to sound very serious to the French. Which is a pity because even though French French sounds more "serious", it is also - I think - very flat and boring. I definitely love Quebecois French but I'm not sure people who learn French should listen to Quebecois too much.
guest   Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:36 pm GMT
Good song, 100% québécois artist

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RurGanlZUzU
étudiante   Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:47 am GMT
Would it offend them if I referred to the as French Canadian?
I'm going with French French but, in reality, where I live in the US brings me closer to the Quebecois :)
REALITY   Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:54 am GMT
Um, they live in Canada, hence it is fully justifiable to call them Canadians. If the UK were called England instead of the UK then it would be justifiable to call a Welshman English.

Or do you want people to start getting angry if you call them American instead of Vermontan, or Russian instead of Tulan, or Spanish instead of Asturian, or Ukrainian instead of Dnepropetrovskan or New Zealander instead of Hawke's Bayan, or Australian instead of Australian Capital Territorian?

LOL! Sorry, but subnational entities are not entitled to special names. Tough luck!
Beathag   Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:58 am GMT
I'm called a Texan LOL
Though yes, I am always American first ;-)
Jérémy   Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:18 pm GMT
Well, actually I'm realising that what I said is a bit simplistic because Canadian French can't be reduced to Quebecois since there is also dialects like Acadian or even Chiac (even these two, especially Chiac, are not "totally" French since English is much present in these dialects, which makes them quite hybrid in some respect).

It is absolutely true that technically speaking they ARE Canadian. But some of them, who are very strong supporters of the French language in Quebec (even though this is sometimes paradoxical because Quebecois French includes many anglicisms while they create new words that avoid anglicisms as well), do feel a little bit vexed if you tell them they're Canadians because they first consider themselves as Quebecois. Unlike the other provinces of Canada, Quebec has a "relative" political independance and the preservation of the French language is one major goal. We French people are even given money if we decide to move to Quebec, so as to prevent French from eventually disappearing there. That's a very strong cultural issue in Quebec. I can assure you I do know some people who really don't like it to be called Canadians. But of course, they shouldn't be called French either lol.

As concerns the UK it's quite different but some people in Wales or Scotland are very proud of who they are and cling to their local identity more than their national one. Technically speaking there's no reason a Welsh person should be offended if they're called British since they ARE British, even though they like to be called Welsh better. But some of them (Welsh, Scottish or Irish) really resent being called English since English is in England, which definitely is distinct from Wales or Scotland. But this has a lot to do with non-British people who tend to mistake those names and think everyone there is English because they speak English.

Most people don't care how they're called, Texan or American, Welsh or British (but not English lol), or Quebecois or Canadian, because they don't care about regional nationalism, but some do.
Curious   Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:24 pm GMT
I like Diam's
encore   Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:17 pm GMT
K. T.   Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:00 pm GMT
French Canadians are Canadians. Welsh people are British.
Canadian passport. British passport.

French Canadians are not English. Welsh people are not English.
Guest   Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:53 pm GMT
What about Carla Bruni? Her voice is very sensual.
étudiante   Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:29 pm GMT
I love Carla's songs too :)
Actually, already have her albums on my zune!
European   Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:47 pm GMT
Zunes are big and ugly. You must be American.
étudiante   Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:46 pm GMT
My zune isn't big at all- and it's plain and black and hardly ugly.
Yes, I am an American and you are rude. :-)
Carla Bruni es sucia   Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:10 pm GMT
<<What about Carla Bruni? Her voice is very sensual. >>

Con tal de que no pienses en la verga de Sarkozy rociándole la garganta.
Jérémy   Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:33 pm GMT
Carla Bruni is much less sensual since she married Nicolas Sarkozy ... :-D