A Seminar for Multilinguals

K. T.   Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:20 pm GMT
Awhile back, Skippy talked about his teacher in SD (If I remember correctly), and it was fascinating to look at his former teacher's methods online. If I had the opportunity, I think I would like to pick his teacher's brain. That's a good thing, in case that's too idiomatic for this forum, lol.

Recently, I've noticed that both Alexander Arguelles and another person are offering themselves up as language trainers or mentors. AA wants to teach you HOW to learn a language. I'm not sure what the other person is offering other than his method.

Would you take advantage of this kind of instruction? I think it would be suited to a seminar format-maybe over a week. Courses could be taught by polyglots or experts in aspects of language learning. Linguists could talk about IPA, and other topics that might be of use to learners.
Language course materials could be discussed. Publishing houses could sponsor the event. Of course, the best people for each topic would have to be chosen. Language posers would be outed, quickly, so I'm not teaching, lol.
Big name teachers could teach larger groups, but the draw would be so much expertise at one setting. There could be smaller classes and topics.

A look at Chinese Characters. Calligraphy practice with ink.
IPA and demystifying French.
Using Lexical Similarity to decode new languages
Languages of Africa (very broad, but a start)
Featured big language
How I became Multilingual (big number polyglots, must have personality, great accents)
Language Practice Tables-like speed dating, to train switching between languages.
Looking at Algonquin (or pick another group)
Regional languages of France and Spain
How Slavic Languages relate to one another
Musical languages (and learning songs)
Classes for teachers
Introduction to interpretating and Translating

Are there already big conventions like this? There should be!

What do you think? I'm sure you could offer some topics.
Regiment   Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:57 am GMT
Don't think there'd be much interest. Ordinary people wouldn't care, the people who do care are already studying that kind of stuff and wouldn't be interested in an amateurish intro type course.
K. T.   Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:42 am GMT
Is there a niche for people who teach people how to learn foreign languages based on their own experiences?
ulanov   Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:04 am GMT
<<Is there a niche for people who teach people how to learn foreign languages based on their own experiences? >>

Maybe, but it would be because people are gullible and unwilling to accept the hard yards. It would probably end up like those people who have lost weight who advertise the latest high-carb, low-polyhydrate-polyunsaturated fat diet.
In the end, if you REALLY want to lose weigh you have to stop tricking yourself and just do some exercise and stop stuffing your face so much.
Similarly, if you REALLY want to learn a language then stop sitting around discussing "how" to learn a language and start ACTUALLY LEARNING. Do the hard yards and actually learn the grammar and don't even think of going near a course that says "learn Spanish in 5 minutes a week", just like you wouldn't go near a diet that says "lose 30 kilos in 1 week".
Yes, if you're a beginner you might need someone to point you in the right direction, but that is not really rocket science either. You could fit all the necessary information in a few pages in bullet point form.
K. T.   Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:21 pm GMT
"Similarly, if you REALLY want to learn a language then stop sitting around discussing "how" to learn a language and start ACTUALLY LEARNING."

Yes, I agree-believe it or not.