Taking On Another Identity To Learn A Language

K. T.   Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:15 pm GMT
http://www.antimoon.com/forum/2004/5878-2.htm

Above is an old discussion above this, but the discussion hasn't died down on the internet. Some people like to delve into a culture and "become" like a native of that culture. Some people learn the language, but keep their distance concerning certain aspects of the culture.

Some people have been saying that in order to get a good accent, you have to (figuratively and perhaps literally) put on the native garb to get the accent.

I know people do this. I don't. I take what I can from the culture and I
don't borrow what I can't use. This has never prevented me from doing my best to sound native. I want to sound native. I don't want to be native.

Of course, respecting the social customs as far as you can do so, enjoying the food and music, and reading what the locals are reading are good ways to fit in without giving in.

Your thoughts and experiences?
native   Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:37 pm GMT
Sounds like an intriguing idea. I might try it someday. But I would have never thought to do something like that. I think it would seem even more embarassing than trying to speak with the native accent, rather than a lite version of the English accent. I feel silly making weird sounds.
K. T.   Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:51 pm GMT
:"I think it would seem even more embarassing than trying to speak with the native accent, rather than a lite version of the English accent."

I know some people maintain their usual speed and flow of speech in other languages. I know two interpreters who sound just like they do in their native languages-they don't change their intonation.

I wondered about that this morning. It's like singing the words of a song, but varying the melody or singing a little off-key. We can recognize the song from the words or some of the notes, but it's harder to sing together well because of the differences.
K. T.   Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:55 pm GMT
Some accents are beautiful, btw. I recognize that, but how easy is it to control one's light accent?

I don't know.
J.C.   Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:04 pm GMT
"Some accents are beautiful, btw. I recognize that, but how easy is it to control one's light accent?"

I only sound foreigner when NHK tries to rip me off for a channel I don't watch:)

Jokes apart, I have already done that but felt guilty so now I just say I'm busy and if people are really pushy I speak in the STRONGEST local accent I can...

However, NKH keeps coming over and over so I just say 見いひんから払わへんねん!!(Even my wife says my Osakaben is scary...)I guess they ain't coming again :D
K. T.   Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:15 pm GMT
Osaka-ben IS scary. Maybe it's the gangsta image. Btw, what did you mean in Chinese on the other thread when you wrote the characters for "add fuel". It's probably a dumb question. Your Chinese is much better than mine, but I don't mind that at all. I haven't put in much time on it since I casually started learning it.
J.C.   Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:29 pm GMT
加油 shows that knowing kanjis doesn't mean one can understand Chinese :)
it means only "good luck" :)
You're right about Osakaben because it's so direct but it's also funny because many 漫才 comedians use it :)

About my Chinese, I'm still depending on kanjis to learn but have improved since I started using Chinesepod, which I have been listening to everyday. Grammar also helps a lot so I'm using "Chinese intermediate grammar".

加油!!
K. T.   Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:38 pm GMT
Thanks. I figured it was probably a dumb question, but then everyone has been writing about "oil" here lately and I wondered if there was a double entendre there somewhere. I did get the gist of what you wrote
in Chinese, I think.

"You're right about Osakaben because it's so direct but it's also funny because many 漫才 comedians use it :) "

That's a good point. Not just yakuza, but also comedians use it, so has a mixed image.
J.C.   Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:31 pm GMT
"Thanks. I figured it was probably a dumb question, but then everyone has been writing about "oil" here lately and I wondered if there was a double entendre there somewhere. I did get the gist of what you wrote
in Chinese, I think. "

There's no dumb question if you're asking something you don't know. :D
It doesn't hurt either então não se preocupe!!

"That's a good point. Not just yakuza, but also comedians use it, so has a mixed image."

In my opinion it's a dialect worthy to be learned because it sounds fun and it's nice for some ぼけ、つっこみ! I just love to say なんでやねん!(笑)
Guest   Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:17 am GMT
I definitely do what K.T. described.

When learning French I act like a gay and even experiment in practice.
When learning English I act like an obnoxious, loudmouth ignoramus when practicing my American accent and I get drunk a lot when practicing my English accent.
When learning Spanish I don't wash as it makes me feel like an authentic Hispanic.