Wants to Learn French

Guest   Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:51 pm GMT
G.W. Bush hasn't been to school so why should Sandy...?
Sandy   Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:44 pm GMT
No Caspian, wrong again. I meant what I said. Why didn't you get it? Are there more errors? Or do you just refuse to comprehend?

I've lived most of my life in a country other than the USA. However, for reasons I don't have to discuss here, I am now permanently living in the USA, (though physically I'm in France at this very moment).
Guest   Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:05 pm GMT
If you live in France ask people there, they may be able to tell you where to learn French.
Guest   Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:31 pm GMT
He can't ask the French where to learn French 'cause he don't speak French.
fred   Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:10 pm GMT
<<I didn't lie, you idiots. I am from the USA but English isn't my mother tong. Shouldn't be very uncommon. >>

"Shouldn't be very uncommon"??? If you knew anything about the US you would know that IS very uncommon.

What a ridiculous thing to say.
Caspian   Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:24 pm GMT
That's fine Sandy... but that means you're not actually from the USA. If I, an Englishman, went to live in America, it wouldn't make me American. I'd still be from England.
Guest   Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:56 pm GMT
Then Swartzeneger (surely I misspelled it) is not an American.
Schwantzenegger   Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:14 pm GMT
you're an american if you feel like being one...like being a football fan...

just like this comment on youtube...
"You know, being Russian is something that is not written in your passport. If you understand what I mean."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5E4l78Ka50&feature=related
Caspian   Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:00 pm GMT
Schwarzenegger is an Austrian
werwerwer   Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:00 pm GMT
"Schwarzenegger is an Austrian"

That's so naive. Schwarzenegger has been an American over 40 years.
American   Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:54 am GMT
<<That's so naive. Schwarzenegger has been an American over 40 years. >>

He's American now, but he's not a native American. He's a naturalized citizen.

He's an Austrian-American.
Caspian   Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:37 am GMT
Right, so he came to America and got given a piece of paper. Fine. But he was born and raised in Austria, with Austrian parents, speaks German natively (a dialect called Styrian), not English and astoundingly still has a rather noticeable accent after these 40 years. So in my books, he's still Austrian.
K. T.   Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:12 pm GMT
He is very understandable in English, but usually German speakers are-even those with a noticeable accent. I don't hear people complain that Germans talk "too fast", something Anglophones commonly complain about when talking about speakers of Romance languages.

(It's just a sign that they haven't listened to enough speakers. Sure, some people do talk fast, just like in English, but not everyone is on a brzi vlak or whatever they say in Serbo-Croatian. I thought I'd throw that in because it's a fun way to say "fast train".)
K. T. (Lives in the USA)   Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:23 pm GMT
Sandy,

There is a website for the Frenchpodclass. There were about 100 lessons on it today. I used to listen to it for their musical offerings and slang.

It would be more accurate to say that you live in the US instead of saying that you are from the USA, but I agree that it isn't necessary to go into detail. It was very nice of those posters who helped you with your grammar. It's a kind, not a mean thing to do. Please take it in the right spirit.
Sandry   Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:29 pm GMT
Me wanna learnt to French. You to tell me where I learn Franch. I is native engrish speaker from USa. Thanks.