Why Portuguese Rocks

Gold digger Kelly   Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:50 am GMT
I am gonna learn Lichtenstainish. It'$ a very important language.
Antimooner K. T.   Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:25 am GMT
Since the Olympics are going to be in Brazil, I imagine some people will try to learn Portuguese.
Antimooner K. T.   Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:31 am GMT
I didn't think about it much recently, but the Olympics apparently starts with a woman acting as a priestess to light the flame. Considering that this seems to be a Greek, and pagan ritual, I'm surprised that nobody objects to this.
---   Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:02 am GMT
Why would anyone?! Western culture grew from Ancient Greek, and paganism was very much a part of it. Even in the most Christian of times, Greek myths were read, loved and admired.
Antimoon K. T.   Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:16 am GMT
You would think Greek orthodox priests would object, but I don't think they do. People are worshipping Zeus again, btw. No, not these "priestesses", but people who have adopted the old gods as their religion.

I've been thinking about western culture coming from roman culture, but then it goes back further to Greece. I also read some Greek myths in school, but this is different, maybe it's play acting, but it is still curious-fire from "Zeus" going to the city with the big statue of Jesus.

On a different note, I hope that the interest in Rio spurs language publishers to produce modern courses in advanced Portuguese.
Kendra   Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:26 am GMT
Brazil is richer than Portugal. it is the 9 richest country in the world.
/It isn't, income distribution and per capita income make Brazil
9 richest country, in the 3rd world LOL only.
Joao   Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:18 pm GMT
"Antimooner K. T. Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:25 am GMT said:
Since the Olympics are going to be in Brazil, I imagine some people will try to learn Portuguese."

K.T, There are many people learning Portuguese throughout the world. The number of those might be low, but there are.
For instance, in Europe, the percentage of foreign speakers comes out as 0%, which means zero in 100 people. But the Europeans are not one hundred but hundreds of millions. Among them many people are learning the language.

Portuguese is not as important as other languages, but it' not a useless language.
Kelly is one of those bumpy learners. She's not Brazilian, not even native Portuguese speaker. She learned Portuguese and wants to have a monopoly of the language so that she can have a profit from that without competition. That's why she tries to convince other people to not learn the language.
Joao   Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:40 pm GMT
Another bossa nova classic with subtitles in English.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjhJ8wZLYH4
reality   Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:46 pm GMT
Portuguese is so useless.
learn Spanish and English, German and French, and Japanese
it's where the money is

Spanish?? Could you please tell me a real rich Spanish speaking country??
Do not talk nonsense please
Dan   Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:28 pm GMT
I also prefer the soft American accents to their European counterparts (in English, Spanish and Portuguese), especially for singing.

But Europeans can do 'soft' as well :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaUwrIyKiNk
Guest   Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:38 pm GMT
>fire from "Zeus" going to the city with the big statue of Jesus <

K. T., this is the legacy of the Roman empire. As Terence put it: I'm human, so nothing human is strange to me.
SeƱor Blanco   Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:46 pm GMT
Spanish?? Could you please tell me a real rich Spanish speaking country??

Only 2.

European Union, where it is the first or second language of 15% of the population, some 75 million. Source, Eurobarometer.

USA, where it is the first or second language of 60 million people, 20% of the population. Source, US Census.

You can add a 25% of Latin Americans, some 100 million people with a high or medium-high level of life.
Franco   Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:02 pm GMT
Could you tell me a rich Portuguese speaking country?
Guest   Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:50 pm GMT
Why are people so obsessed with a countries richness and gdp? It doesn't mean anything if you are living in a country where the cost of living is living and you are depressed all the time. What I care about is quality of life and Portugal is above France, Germany, UK and other so called rich countries.

As for richness, Brazil although unequal is doing better and will be one the top countries in the world soon and if Angola keeps its current pace it will be a very livable place and surpass countries like South Africa.
Franco   Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:03 am GMT
quality of life and Portugal is above France, Germany, UK and other so called rich countries.

hahahahahahaha