Should German become the sole official language of the EU?

Baldewin   Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:50 pm GMT
Always with these conlangs with no history. (Neo-)Latin has a pan-European history, that's better than a history of some intellectual.
Franco   Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:18 pm GMT
Sometimes you have to use things with no history to make history.
blanc   Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:37 pm GMT
Brau Luca, perĂ² te set in cumpetision cun el me che'l gh'ha 2200 abitant

This ugly and unpleasant northern Italian dialect is very similar to CAtalan!
Baldewin   Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:51 pm GMT
I predict the clash of different conlangs in the future. Right on! Maybe we can build a caste system with a language for each caste.
fry   Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:36 am GMT
Silly.

English is already the de-facto EU (and world) language. Whether or not the EU "officially" accepts this is immaterial.
Asgard   Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:40 am GMT
Germanics win.
Franco   Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:43 am GMT
<<English is already the de-facto EU (and world) language. Whether or not the EU "officially" accepts this is immaterial.
>>

Yeah, but we're not talking about that. A true official language is need so the Europeans' money is not wasted in translations of official documents and such. Some forumers have proposed reducing the number of official languages to 6. That's a huge step forward, but we shouldn't stop there.
Baldewin   Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:06 am GMT
I only fear for the increasing arrogance of my compatriots who speak a language that is eligible to be one of these 6 languages.
"My language is a EU language and yours is Flemish patois."

Some guys on http://www.lesoir.be/ are hardcore in looking down upon our language. They're not a rarity in Belgium sadly. Even Americans and British respect our language more. Even French people are nicer toward us.
Baldewin   Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:44 am GMT
Anyway, I have decided to only speak Dutch in Brussels, and will continue doing so even if it ends up a European City-State or even if it ends up being French. So remember, even as a French citizen you will be talked to in Dutch.

I have no self-pity myself, but looking at the fact that literally 70% of the francophone Belgians on Le Soir, and add to that experiences in real life, my patient has been run down with you Bruxellois bourgeois. Luckily I can recognize you from French, so I still know who to speak French to.
Baldewin   Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:50 am GMT
The best thing is. Even if you end up French, you will still have to learn your Dutch. The Northern French aren't chauvinistic to do so and they'll take over your jobs. Good riddance. I like Northern French.
Little Tadpole   Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:39 am GMT
Franco: "Yeah, but we're not talking about that. A true official language is need so the Europeans' money is not wasted in translations of official documents and such."

What a joke. The U.S.A. has lived its 200+ years of history without an official language. ASEAN (http://www.aseansec.org/) uses English as its working language but there has been no need for declaration of an official language. Yes, every single document, every web page of ASEAN is in English, but ASEAN does not have and does not need an official language.

WHY DO YOU NEED TO DECLARE AN OFFICIAL LANGUAGE, AT ALL?

In the U.S.A., the official language issue has come up once in a while. Every single time it was shut down. End of discussion. If the U.S.A. does not need an official language, if ASEAN does not need an official language, then why should the E.U. need one?

Such a simple issue: no official language --> no fights.
Baldewin   Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:54 am GMT
No way. The USA is a different story, as it's a country of immigrants. Immigrant tend to accept the lingua franca without question it. Europe is a region with more linguae francae.
But de facto, the languages used are indeed mostly English and French.
Little Tadpole   Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:59 am GMT
Baldewin: "No way. The USA is a different story"

Then what about ASEAN? Isn't ASEAN also a region with more linguae francae? Why don't they ever need an official language, at all?

Trust me: no official language --> no problem.
Paul   Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:07 am GMT
I think that the languages of the 3 populations that pay the majority of the subventions should become the official working languages of the EU: working language for working people!-)
Peter   Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:17 am GMT
Baldewin Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:06 am GMT
I only fear for the increasing arrogance of my compatriots who speak a language that is eligible to be one of these 6 languages.
"My language is a EU language and yours is Flemish patois."

Some guys on http://www.lesoir.be/ are hardcore in looking down upon our language. They're not a rarity in Belgium sadly. Even Americans and British respect our language more. Even French people are nicer toward us.
Baldewin Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:44 am GMT
Anyway, I have decided to only speak Dutch in Brussels, and will continue doing so even if it ends up a European City-State or even if it ends up being French. So remember, even as a French citizen you will be talked to in Dutch.

I have no self-pity myself, but looking at the fact that literally 70% of the francophone Belgians on Le Soir, and add to that experiences in real life, my patient has been run down with you Bruxellois bourgeois. Luckily I can recognize you from French, so I still know who to speak French to.
___________________________________----

to Baldewin: Please be careful and stop reading "le Soir" or other newspapers: cheauvinistic newspapers have caused most of the European wars in the past 200 years....

Instead, think of the fact that Belgian Francophones stem from Flemish speakers. Francophones are Flemish living in an other cultural environment.