Languages and the Latin Union

1   Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:17 am GMT
PARISIEN   Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:37 am GMT
All international organizations are basically useless.
Especially this one...
Joao   Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:37 am GMT
It is an organization really interesting.

We can see the weight of all the languages there:

1. Spanish. It is represented by 19 countries

2. Portuguese. It is represented by 8 countries

3. French. It is represented by 5 countries.

4. Italian. It is represented by 2 countries

It is obvious that Spanish is the most important language. We can see it again. Even the second place of French is really threatened by Portuguese.

French is really spoken as the majority mother tongue by France and Monaco. Former French African colonies don't want to be members of the Latin Union because French is not their own language. They speak Arabic and other African languages, and they study French. But they can study English tomorrow.

So, it shows the weakness of French language. I think that Portuguese, more spoken than French nowadays, it will be the second most important second language in the near future.
From Spain with Love   Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:58 am GMT
Continental Portuguese is spoken only in Portugal: 10 millions of speakers.
Brazilian Portuguese is spoken only in Brazil: 200 millions of speakers.

In Africa no one speaks Portuguese, only Politicians, normal people speak local languates be it creoles (in Cape Verde, Bissau, S. Tome) or bantu languages (in Angola and Moçambique).

Brazilians should declare they language Brazilian, and CapeVerdeans will soon declare CV Creole they 1st language, so Portuguese people will end up crying over the ''grandeza da língua lusa'' LOL, you can take Galícia in your village so you can cry together LOL

Vão tomar banho, ô gentalha grossa e tosca...
DIREKTOR   Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:26 pm GMT
If you consider French rapresented also by Italy, you have to consider Italian rapresented also by Slovenia and Croatia where it's coofficial in some regions.
Totuma   Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:44 pm GMT
The sheer amount of people speaking a language doesn't matter. Those South asian languages are spoken by millions upon millions and nobody cares.
Luca   Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:57 pm GMT
I agree with Totuma, it is not the number of souls that speak a language to make it important but the economic and cultural relevance of them.
Joao   Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:19 pm GMT
Yes, but almost always is the same.

When a language is very spoken, there are more potential customers, and the language is more important in the economic field.

For example, Portuguese has now more potential customers than French. Brazil will have more GDP than France in the near future.

So, both things are almost always together.
Luca   Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:26 pm GMT
I disagree. What about hindi? Indonesian? Swahili? Or even arab?
These do not seem to be studied massively worldwide..
Luca   Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:28 pm GMT
You can't generalize for all languages from the single case of your beloved brazilian portuguese!
Joao   Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:02 pm GMT
You should think in your examples.

Swahili is spoken by 100 million people. Is it more important now or when it was spoken by 50 million?

Indonesian is spoken by over 240 million people. Is it more important now or when it was spoken by 140 million?
Luca   Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:27 pm GMT
I think that, worldwide, they keep being fundamentally unimportant.
Paul   Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:42 pm GMT
<<In Africa no one speaks Portuguese>>

LOL.
Joachim   Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:10 am GMT
It is an organization really interesting.

We can see the weight of all the languages there:

1. Spanish. It is represented by 19 countries

2. Portuguese. It is represented by 8 countries

3. French. It is represented by 5 countries.

4. Italian. It is represented by 2 countries

It is obvious that Spanish is the least important language. We can see it again. Even the the number of countries that speak Spanish is really threatened by Portuguese.

Spanish is really spoken as the majority mother tongue by Castilia and Antioquia. Hispanic America need not to be members of the Latin Union because Castilian Spanish is not their own language. They speak Casilias/Inodoro Spanish, Quechua, Aymara, Guarani, Quiche, and Portunhol and other Ameridian languages, and they study Spanish. But they can study English tomorrow.

So, it shows the weakness of Spanishh language. I think that Portuguese, more spoken than Spanish nowadays, it will be the 4th most important second language in the near future.
Caspian   Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:35 am GMT
What are you lot trying to achieve with your 'I think this language is better than this one' posts? You're not going to convince the other person, just give in.