What images & associations does the MOON have in yr cult

Shuimo   Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:36 pm GMT
Surely the moon, our earth's neighbor, is familiar to any one and any languages and culture!

What images & associations does the MOON have in yr culture?
Guest   Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:25 pm GMT
It's a symbol of communism.
blanc   Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:34 pm GMT
" Surely the moon, our earth's neighbor, is familiar to any one and any languages and culture! "

That is a thing that always catch my attention; the moon, with the sun is one of the few objects that is known in all cultures. So it is present in all languages, and as you said it can have specific conotations.

In french it is "la lune". I personally associate it with its day "lundi" (monday).

It makes me thinks immediatly to the french song "au clair de la lune" which is probably the fist song learned by the french kids:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M61zna8B_o
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Au_clair_de_la_lune

in diverse french and european mythology you can find the lorialets; the child of the moon; to who it refers to the song "ami pierrot" (pierrot la lune):
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierrot_la_Lune#Des_exemples_de_Lorialets
Maxwell Blanck   Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:30 pm GMT
- nighttime

- annoying skyglow, if you're trying to do astroimaging
Guest   Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:47 pm GMT
In my cult, beside being a symbol of communism, the moon invokes Pierrot Lunaire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6LyYdSQQAQ
K. T. (no theologian)   Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:56 pm GMT
Do you mean moon as in "religion"? Are you asking the Islamic posters about the significance of the moon in their religion? As far as I know, Allah was the name of the Moon God in some pre-islamic religion. When Islam became a religion, Allah remained the name for God. Allah is also the word for God in the Arabic Bible (that Christians use), I've been told.

This brings up the question: Do Jews, Christians and Moslems worship the same Deity or do they all just worship "one" Deity. I think Jews and Christians worship the same G-d, but you'd have to ask a Muslim what he or she thinks.
Leasnam   Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:56 pm GMT
In my culture, the moon evokes mystery, death and the occult. The first thing I think of when I hear "moon" is Halloween.

It also brings lunacy to mind, as the full moon was and still is believed to affect one's behaviour.
Shuimo   Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:18 pm GMT
K. T. (no theologian) Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:56 pm GMT
Do you mean moon as in "religion"?

Partially!
Religion being part of culture only!
You need to see it in broader light!

>>Leasnam Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:56 pm GMT
In my culture, the moon evokes mystery, death and the occult. The first thing I think of when I hear "moon" is Halloween.

It also brings lunacy to mind, as the full moon was and still is believed to affect one's behaviour. <<

Wow, that is bizarre!

In contrast, the moon in Chinese culture always has very nice or warm or melancholy assocaciations depending on the fullness of the moon!

A round moon suggests reunion and arouses longings for home or homesickness! We Chinese have a moon-cake festival with a tradition of thousands of years!

While a moon in a crescent shape indicates a sorry sense of imperfection
or incompleteness!
Leasnam   Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:59 pm GMT
<<In contrast, the moon in Chinese culture always has very nice or warm or melancholy assocaciations depending on the fullness of the moon!

A round moon suggests reunion and arouses longings for home or homesickness! We Chinese have a moon-cake festival with a tradition of thousands of years!

While a moon in a crescent shape indicates a sorry sense of imperfection
or incompleteness! >>

Different, indeed!
We usually bestow these types of feelings and emotions on the Sun--warmth, light, truth, security, etc.

However, I cannot seem to escape from the likeness of the wolf howling and baying at the full moon! creepy.
Shuimo   Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:09 pm GMT
Leasnam Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:59 pm GMT

We usually bestow these types of feelings and emotions on the Sun--warmth, light, truth, security, etc.

The most famous metaphor about the sun for modern Chinese people is this:

毛主席就是我们心中的红太阳!
Chairman Mao is just the red sun in our hearts! (You figure all the meanings this sentence can have)

>>However, I cannot seem to escape from the likeness of the wolf howling and baying at the full moon! creepy. <<

WHy? That is strange!
Why not a dog or any other animal shouting at the full moon?
Leasnam   Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:25 pm GMT
Well, for a long time the Moon is regarded as the antithesis of the Sun--a false Sun if you will.

Also, my culture originates from Northern Europe, where ancient fears of wolves and creatures in the night abound.
PARISIEN   Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:11 pm GMT
Well, in my grandparent's culture (Norman and Picard fishers and farmers), the Moon is primarily associated to tides, and to a lot of intricate rituals in agriculture. Sowing, harvests, cider and beer fermentation and bottling etc. have to be done at definite phases of the Moon.

Additionally, be careful for werewolves when the Moon is soon going to be full!
Leasnam   Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:34 pm GMT
<<Additionally, be careful for werewolves when the Moon is soon going to be full! >>

Yes, especially for werewolves! ;)
Guest   Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:59 am GMT
I am not a member of any cult.
Leasnam   Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:53 pm GMT
<<I am not a member of any cult. >>

Me either.

I think the OP intended to mean culture, and shortened it to cult