How to not forget a language I don't get the chance to use

Fynall   Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:38 pm GMT
Hello, like the title indicates, I would like to know if anyone has any tips to not forget a language that you never have the chance to use anymore. I was born in Albania but moved at the age of 5 to Greece, attended a greek school for the next 5 years and could speak fluently, perhaps even better then the people born in Greece. I never forgot my native language (albanian) since it's what we use at home with my family. However, after moving to canada (montreal) at around age 10, I started learning french/english. My french is better then my english, and as you can see even though my english isn't "amazing", it's still decent. I'm confident I can learn a language quickly and am gifted in that area, however I absolutly never get a chance to use greek anywhere in montreal, it's been 10 years (I'm now 20) and can only remember vaguely. If I hear for exemple two greek people speak together, I can sometimes understand few words.

My question is, is it possible for me to get my greek back living in montreal somehow? I watch asian TV series and am improving a lot in Korean lately, but as there are almost no greek TV shows on the internet that could be interesting to watch I don't really know what to do...It'd be a shame to completly forget how to write and speak greek (which I probably almost have already)
Baldewin   Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:20 pm GMT
Internet and Skype help a little. Try to read the language on a daily basis and also try to make up conversation in that language. Another option which is less likely, is to find diaspora and try to befriend them.
K.   Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:29 pm GMT
Aren't there any Greek restaurants in Montreal? I thought it was a good size city the last time I was there-not some cultural boondocks.

Maybe you could go to a Greek Orthodox Church and see if you could make friends. Greeks in the States usually have at least one festival every year in almost every city where I've lived.

(I am not suggesting that you become Greek Orthodox, just that you check it out and see when they have a festival. At least, you might get some good Greek food. Yum. I don't know if I'll even be able to finish this, thinking about all the great Greek food...)

I'd go with Skype (Baldewin's suggestion), or see if you can meet someone at LingQ.com (the admin there used to post here, I think), Livemocha or Lang-8.

Greek is a great language.
K.   Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:32 pm GMT
Even if you can't learn Greek (like at LingQ:(), you may be able to find some people who speak Greek if you post in the forum there.