Argentinian and Mexican terms!

Larissa   Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:58 pm GMT
"In my country" where are you from Carlos?
*CarloS*   Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:11 am GMT
I'm from Lima, the capital of Perú.
Luis Zalot   Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:49 am GMT
Brennus, I am glad my information was informative.

"When I was in high school and a community college, they taught us standard, formal Spanish. Many years later, I worked with several Mexicans at my jobs in the telephone company. There I noticed that they spoke a somewhat different Spanish. For example, they used words like alacrán, chango, colorado (colorao), durazno, huevón, mesera and rucqa for centipede, monkey, red, peach, lazy, waitress and old lady instead of the standard Spanish cienpiés, mono, rojo, melocotón, perezoso, camarera and vieja. Diminuitive endings were common too like grillón (cricket), loquita (loony; crazy) and sobrecito (envelope) although there are many places in Latin America which seem to like diminuitive forms."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alacran is used for "scorpion" as they used "Escorpión"/alacran." Mono is used for "Muneca" (doll) muneca/mono. Colorado? Is an chicano word;"rojo" is relatively professed more. Durazno is used commonly, while melocoton aswell in some parts. Huevon is used as an insult and used amongst the mexican people, Perezoso is used for educated mexicans. mesera is used, (while camarera is used amongst educated or some mexicans.) ruka or ruqa is an chicano thing. Vieja is used in Mexico.

Brennus, mid-southern parts of Mexico like "Jalisco" and it's surrounding (guanajuato,aguascalientes,zacatecas,colima,san-luis-potosi etc.)places, respectively speak a nicer and pleasent version of spanish with the "sibilant" -s- in placed used in Spain and in (Classical-latin). And used words from "spain" to refer to things like "crio(s),cuan,sello,marron, etc, to name a few.

The northern dialects of Mexico speak an inflected one with american idioms that used words similar to those with chicanos words.

Eastern dialects of Mexico used an similar to that of the carribean spanish. Like the word "colorao" for 'colorado' (they render the "d")
and phonology is somewhat similar to their's

Down in the south (chiapas,yucatan,campeche,oaxaca,southern veracruz,tabasco etc.) All speak an similar to that of "Guatemala" and Indigenous type of spanish, and "chiapas" is the only state of mexico that uses "vos" instead of "tu", (or used both of them, due to Guatemala's influence...and the fact "chipas" USED to belong to "Guatemala," respectively.

The rest of the dialects I still haven't heard.
Luis Zalot   Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:55 am GMT
One thing I forgot...>

mid-southern parts of Mexico like "Jalisco" and it's surrounding (guanajuato,aguascalientes,zacatecas,colima,san-luis-potosi etc.)places, respectively speak a nicer and pleasent version of spanish with the "sibilant" -s- in placed. Likewise used in Spain and in Classical-latin. And used words from "spain" to refer to things like "crio(s),cuan,sello,marron, etc, to name a few. Also, some people in "Los altos de Jalisco and Guadalajara" have the "ceceo" the 'lisplike' sound (just a bit toned down) and also say "spain" insults etc. This is due to the VAST spanish decent population in Jalisco and other states aswell.
Luis Zalot   Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:33 am GMT
mid-southern parts of Mexico like "Jalisco" and it's surrounding (guanajuato,aguascalientes,zacatecas,colima,san-luis-potosi etc.)places, respectively speak a nicer and pleasent version of spanish with the "sibilant" -s- in placed. Likewise used in Spain and in Classical-latin. And used words from "spain" to refer to things like "crio(s),cuan,sello,marron, etc, to name a few. Also, some people in "Los altos de Jalisco and Guadalajara" have the "ceceo" the 'lisplike' sound (just a bit toned down) and also say "spain" insults etc. This is due to the VAST spanish decent population in Jalisco and other states aswell.

I also forgot (that some dialects of spain) trilled the (double) "rr" and singular "r" Probably one of the closest language to Castilian Spanish

Syntax is mid-southern Mexico is somewhat of that of Castilian and also incorporating the other words, but the castilian words having an "prominence within the language." et al.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican_Spanish
Aldo   Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:34 am GMT
I also forgot (that some dialects of Jalisco) trilled the (double) "rr" and singular "r" Probably one of the closest language to Castilian Spanish

Syntax in mid-southern Mexico is somewhat of that of Castilian and also incorporating the other words, but the castilian words having an "prominence within the language." et al.

just looking out for ya....Luis
Luis Zalot   Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:06 pm GMT
Thanks; Aldo.
JGreco   Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:59 am GMT
Luis Zalot and Aldo where are you from? I notice your knowledge of Mexican Spanish is about as good as my knowledge of Caribbean Spanish.
Luis Zalot   Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:45 am GMT
I'm Mexican of Venetian (Italian) decent, and Spanish (Andaluz and Castilla la mancha) decent. The name "Zalot" is an Venetian "surname" that I inherited from the "venetians" that came to Mexico.

As seen here,

http://orbilat.com/Languages/Venetan/Dialects/Chipilo.html
Aldo   Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:49 pm GMT
Hey, JGreco....

I'm American, have Mexican & Spanish blood.
JR   Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:46 am GMT
<<Just a thought...if "Vos" is the equivalent of "thou" in English, then it's really the equivalent of "tu" in Spanish. "Tu" basically corresponds to "thou"--both the familiar second person singular pronouns of their respective languages, Spanish and English.>>

Well, I dont know much about old style English, but I don't think the conjugations would work if "thou" was a substitute to "you".

You run
Thou run???

Wouldn't it be "Thou Runs" or something of the sort? Perhaps thou runeth?? I'm not sure on this at all...
Larissa   Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:22 pm GMT
Luis Zalot   Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:37 pm GMT
Larissa; no problem.
Aldo   Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:19 am GMT
Luis, I'll answer this.

"When Central America achieved its independence from Mexico in 1823, western Chiapas was annexed to Mexico. More of current day Chiapas was transferred after the disintegration of the Central American Federation in 1842, and the remainder of the current state taken from Guatemala in the early 1880s by President Porfirio Díaz."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiapas
Guest   Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:55 am GMT
>>>I also forgot (that some dialects of Jalisco) trilled the (double) "rr" and singular "r" Probably one of the closest language to Castilian Spanish<<<

I've yet to know of an area in Mexico that that does not thrill the "rr" and "r". Unless you mean that the "r" is ALWAYS thrilled, as in...

Caro pronnounced like Carro.
Pera pronnounced like Perra.
etc.
Instead of just...
Televizor pronnounced like Televizorr
Puerta pronnounced like Puerrta
etc.