Pronunciation of tomato

Guest   Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:44 am GMT
The second T is often flapped in Australian English but it's not a D. In a more formal pronunciation it would be pronounced as the first T.
Presley.   Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:52 am GMT
I don't make the second T flapped, but it's not a D. Like I said, though, in America, it depends on the region. Other than that, Americans are just a bit weird.
Uriel   Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:19 am GMT
<<My cousin from Canada, (whom I just called on the telephone to hear him say the word) pronounces it tuh-may-toh, but the vowels sound like he tightens his throat and mouth more. Also, compared to my cousin, I gradually tighten my lips on the o, whereas he tightens the lips to begin with, causing the o to sound a bit exaggerated. The t's were the same as in AE.>>

Between you and the guy who couldn't say "tools" to his phone's satisfaction, it's been a busy day for the long-distance telecommunications business!

When I actually CAN hear differences between Americans and Canadians (and it usually helps if I know beforehand -- otherwise I pay no attention and don't catch it), it IS the slightly tenser Canadian vowels I notice. And sometimes they seem to enunciate their T's a little more. But not always. Or maybe I'm just really lax with mine -- I'm a big-time mumbler and slurrer!
Adam   Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:45 pm GMT
"I had assumed that the pronunciation "tomahto" was used widely in Britain at this time."

It still is.
Pete   Fri May 19, 2006 1:07 pm GMT
<<As for European languages without aspiration, I'm pretty sure there's no aspiration in Spanish or Italian.>>

You're right. There's no aspiration in Spanish, at least, not in the accents I've heard so far.
Geoff_One   Fri May 19, 2006 1:24 pm GMT
I thought there is a song or part of a song about the subject:

"You say tomahtoh
I say t'may-toh ..."
Gabriel   Fri May 19, 2006 2:42 pm GMT
There's positively no aspiration of any plosive in Spanish. In fact, aspirating your t's, k's, or p's is a telltale sign you're probably a native English speaker.
Kirk   Fri May 19, 2006 10:20 pm GMT
<<There's positively no aspiration of any plosive in Spanish. In fact, aspirating your t's, k's, or p's is a telltale sign you're probably a native English speaker.>>

Yup. Or a speaker of another Germanic language with aspiration for /p/ /t/ and /k/ (most Germanic languages).