Canadian

Uriel   Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:24 am GMT
I don't think Canadians and Americans sound terribly different. There might be a few regional quirks here and there, but I've rarely been able to tell a Cnadian just by the accent.
Uriel   Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:30 am GMT
And I just can't type worth a crap tonight.... CANADIAN.
Ted   Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:34 am GMT
>hohss and mohth for "house" and "mouth", sore-ee for "sorry"<

Interesting that some far-from-the-border Canadians say "hohss and mohth", very close to RP, yet use "sore-ee" for "sorry", which is very far from RP, and from general BE, AuE, NZE etc: I always thought the "or" sound in such words as "sorry" and "forest" typical of GAmE, and heard nowhere outside NA.
Guest   Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:59 am GMT
Those pronunciations for house and mouth are more like the Scottish. i.e. hoess and moeth
Travis   Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:11 pm GMT
The main thing is that the vowels which one would get in "house" and "mouth" are more like [@U] than what one might think from "hohss and mohth".
Guest   Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:17 pm GMT
[@U] is typical of a Scottish (and Canadian) pronunciation. In RP it's normally [aU].
Travis   Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:21 am GMT
One note: a very common pronunciation of "sorry" right here in southeastern Wisconsin is as ["so:r\i:] (how I pronounce it), even though one will also hear it being pronounced as ["sO:r\i:] (note that for most words, most people here have [or\] rather than [Or\] where GAE has [Or\]) or less commonly ["sa:r\i:] (where then it will be homophonic with "sari") here as well. Consequently, if pronouncing "sorry" like "sore-ee" extends this far south into the Upper Midwest, you cannot exactly call it a specifically Canadian feature.
Guest   Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:09 am GMT
I'd have thought Scottish pronunciation would be more like "hooss" and "mooth".
Travis   Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:27 am GMT
>>I'd have thought Scottish pronunciation would be more like "hooss" and "mooth".<<

Just so you know, using things like "hooss" and "mooth" are extremely unclear, and are of practically no use from a linguistic standpoint. For transcribing pronunciations, one should use either IPA or X-SAMPA, which you can get information on at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPA
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-SAMPA

That said, I assume you mean the pronunciations [hus] and [muT] for "house" and "mouth", which is what one would expect for English dialects with a significant Scots substratum (even though I could be wrong about this one).
Julie Mocaby   Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:20 am GMT
Well, i love the canadians! I just love everything aboot them!!!! And i am american, i warship canada, i claim to be canadian, i seek every little tiny peice of info about canada that i can get! If you canadians out there are reading this remember my name because i love my C-A-N-A-D-A!!!! I am so proud when canada is on the news too! I plan to have a canadian husband as well as canadian children!

Julie Mocaby, Boise Idaho
Uriel   Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:01 am GMT
Whoa. Somebody needs to lay off the caffeine....
Adam   Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:51 pm GMT
I think Canada should stop clubbing baby seals to death.
Adam   Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:55 pm GMT
"'Colourise'
United Kingdom
South Africa? "

I don't even think there is such a word as "colourise" or "colorise."

It's not in my online dictionary.
Guest   Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:30 pm GMT
<Whoa. Somebody needs to lay off the caffeine.... >

Woooo another crazy Canadian fan (or another American democrat?).

Or was she on the Canadian 'greens'? ;)
Guest   Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:19 am GMT
Canadians I found are down to earth not as paraniod as Americans. I think the fact they don't really have to worry about Terrorism plays a big part.

Such nice people. I could relate to them well.