Proficiency Tests

Guest   Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:49 pm GMT
What tests are available and widely recognized in the United States to show proficiency in foreign languages?

I know about the Japanese tests, the European test (A1, B2, etc.), and the Berlitz and FSI levels to a certain extent, but I wonder if there are other tests that language teachers may know about.

I'm mainly interested in tests for modern languages (Indo-European) at this time, but if you know about tests for other languages (other than Japanese), I'd be interested in reading about them.

Thank-you
Guest   Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:27 pm GMT
Interesting. No takers. I wonder why. Is everyone using the European test here? I don't like putting down (intermediate, advanced, fluent, basic), I'd rather say He tested at A-2, but on a scale that Americans and Canadians would recognized.
Guest   Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:08 pm GMT
would recognize
Guest   Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:48 pm GMT
Would this mean that no readers here are certified in languages except in the European way?
Xie   Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:55 am GMT
I've never been to the US, nor do I know "virtually anything" about it. But I know there is at least HSK for Mandarin learners. Half-natives and natives take another exam instead.

I guess the system is a bit different. Local English exams do put me in a category comparable to IELTS/TOEFL, etc (around C1, do I serve?), but that of Mandarin is an independent Chinese system.
Guest   Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:33 am GMT
It makes me wonder about the traffic here. How many people here are Americans who are fluent in other languages?
Guest   Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:39 pm GMT
I wonder why no one knows this. How much traffic does Antimoon get?