Tico Spanish?

Guest   Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:16 am GMT
How does the Spanish of Costa Rica differ from other varieties of Spanish?
JGreco   Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:21 pm GMT
I only can speak of my own experience and also an unusual situation that occurs between neighbors Costa Rica and Panama. In fact Costa Rican Castellano is much closer in variety and pronunciation to Chilango or standard Mexico City Spanish than to its neighbor Panama. The Variety of spoken Castellano spoken in Panama is a caribbean variety and is closer to varieties that are spoken in Puerto Rico, Cuba, Dominican Republic and coastal regions of Venezuela and Colombia. Many Panamanians will say that crossing the Costa Rican border is like going to another world were a completely different culture and customs exists. Everything is different from food, traditional food, the look of people, and pronunciation is different a rarity in the world between two such close neighbors.
Guest   Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:47 pm GMT
Thank-you for your post. It was very interesting to me in many ways.
furrykef   Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:12 pm GMT
I believe that in Costa Rica, "vos" is used instead of (or maybe in addition to) "tú".
Guest   Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:58 pm GMT
All ticos I've met said Usted, and sounded like colombians.
Guest   Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:13 pm GMT
OP

I did a "crash course" in Tico Spanish after I posted this last night. I already speak Spanish, but I wasn't familiar with this variety. I read that "Usted" is preferred, and the others are used in a limited way.

JGreco was very helpful, but I'm curious about Tico Spanish beyond what I've found.

Is "dar" really considered "rude"? I can understand this in a way from English.

I read about the substitution for "How are you" and that "con mucho gusto" is preferred over "de nada."
JGreco   Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:15 pm GMT
I do agree with the issue on vos when it comes to Tico spanish. I had a former professor from Costa Rica and he said that the situation with it was a regional thing. As you head towards Nicaragua where vos is mainly used you here it with more frequency. He said that vos was rarely used in San Jose but as you head towards the western countryside it is used more. Vos is mainly a Honduran, Nicaraguan, and El Salvadorian phenomenom. I haven't heard many Guatemalans use it so I'm assuming it is not more prevelent there.
MarK   Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:06 pm GMT
Thank you JGreco and Furrykef!
The thing about Costa Rica vs. Panamá is interesting indeed.

Two of my friends whom I learn Spanish from are Tikos.
They use both "vos" and "usted", but never "tú".
They said that it's like a shibboleth. If you use "tú", they immediately know that you're not from Costa Rica.

"Vos" is used throughout Central America except Panamá, which is why what JGreco said about Panamá being more Carribean is imaginable.
In Guatemala they also use "vos".

What I love about Tiko Spanish is the intonation.
Unfortunately I don't have any sound files. :(