Want to learn Mexican Spanish

Maria M   Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:23 am GMT
I hope this isn't too general - but I would like to learn Spanish. I understand there are several dialects and would like to concentrate on the dialect in Jalisco. We just returned from Barra de Navidad and plan on returning yearly. It seems it would be more respectful for me to learn their language than expect them to speak English.
How do I find someplace to learn the dialect of a certain area? I have been checking around and ordered several books but don't know if I am moving in the right direction.
Thanks for any help.
Guest   Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:49 pm GMT
Hey I gotta friend from Slovenia, he went to university in Guadalajara, JA and he loved it, he's Spanish is excellent (in fact every time he shows pictures of Mexico, no one believes it is Mexico), maybe you can contact him, here's the link to his profile.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/member.php?u=130262
(I think you have to be register to see it)

If you're really interested, just register to the forum (it's really quick), and talk to him, I'm 100% sure he'll be able to help you out a lot.

Forum: www.skyscrapercity.com
His nick: Olympiaki-Agones

BTW, Spanish is Spanish the only thing that changes is the accent with which you speak it, and he speaks it pretty nice and neutral.
mac   Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:22 am GMT
Hi. I studied at the University of Guadalajar in 2005. It was a great experience. You are unlikely to find much material that will teach you any "dialect" when you learn Spanish becuase it's basically just Spanish. Usually, when students learn Spanish, they don't focus on any particular region, they just learn standard Spanish.

However, there are some variations in vocabulary and verb use by region, but this is standard for students of Spanish to learn. Regional accents you will just pick up by exposure. I got along fine in Jalisco with my partial-gringo accent. I've had no trouble speaking with others from Latin America with the Spanish I learned in the university and in Guadalajara. Good luck!
Maria M   Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:55 am GMT
Thank you both. I joined skyscrapercity. Wonder who did his web-site - very nice!!

The reason I asked is because in Barra they refer to monkey as chango and not mano. I understand that it is regional.

I am just starting to learn, but think I have Mucho gracias down.