Is English A Sexy Language?

Mein   Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:32 pm GMT
I love the American accent, and the Australian accent. The British accent is not as sexy personally.

As for French, I'm not partial to the Parisian accent, but I love the accents of southern France, like Nice, Cannes.
greg   Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:40 pm GMT
J'essaie d'imaginer l'accent d'Adam et je n'y parviens pas. Quelqu'un a une idée ?
An American   Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:58 pm GMT
Pour moi, Adam a un accent très sexy. Je le baiserais.
Anti-Adam   Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:00 pm GMT
Quel accent ont habituellement les trolls?
Adam   Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:48 pm GMT
Research carried out at Newcastle University, in 20 countries around the world using different dialects of 6 languages (English, French, German, Spanish, Italian and Swahili) found that English was far and away the most sexy, with 98% of people saying that they preferred it. The most irresistable accent of English was found to be from Bolton, Lancashire with 4800 women out of a sample of 5000 swooning and some collapsing and needing hospital treatment.

Source: Guardian 31st October 2005
Uriel   Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:20 am GMT
Gotta disagree with you on your last post, Ren! Maybe you haven't been listening to the right Australians and South Africans....
Aldebarán   Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:11 am GMT
For me the ugliest language ever in pronunciation is Dutch.... is so harsh.... even German sounds more relaxed compared with Dutch.

English sounds very beautiful compared with Dutch, but I prefer French as the sexiest language ever, not for nothing is called "the language of Love".
Talena   Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:38 am GMT
English to me seems to be a slightly constipated accent... It's too clipped and proper. I find it annoying.

The scottish accent is by far the sexiest accent, and that is not because of Sean Connery :)
Candy   Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:23 am GMT
<<Gotta disagree with you on your last post, Ren! Maybe you haven't been listening to the right Australians and South Africans.... >>

I have to agree with Ren, Uriel! :) These accents are a bit of a turn-off for me (sorry any Aussies and SAers, it's just an opinion!)
I disagree with Sander about German - it's not sexy at all to me, but Dutch is, for some reason. French is the sexiest, though.

<<The most irresistable accent of English was found to be from Bolton, Lancashire with 4800 women out of a sample of 5000 swooning and some collapsing and needing hospital treatment.>>

My God - has Adam developed a sense of humour???
Ren   Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:03 am GMT
<<Gotta disagree with you on your last post, Ren! Maybe you haven't been listening to the right Australians and South Africans.... >>

LOL thanks for the support Candy... there are some aspects of our Australian and South African friends I like!! Their style of Rugby!! hehe
Candy   Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:17 am GMT
Hey Ren! It's nice to have another sane British person on antimoon. Now that's you, me, Damian and Rick Johnson!

<<Their style of Rugby!! hehe>>

Especially in November 2003!! :) And don't forget the cricket this summer! :)

(Oh, an exception to my post above: Andre on Langcafe has a very sexy South African accent!) :) :) :)
Adam   Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:54 am GMT
"The scottish accent is by far the sexiest accent, and that is not because of Sean Connery :) "

A Scottish accent? You must be crazy. An accent spoken by Rab C Nesbitt is NOT sexy.

The best English accent in the world is the Lancashire/Greater Manchester accent, followed by the West Country accent.
Uriel   Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:25 pm GMT
That's all right, Candy -- leaves more of 'em for me!
Hopeful   Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:32 pm GMT
I think English is a romantic and Sexy language too
English is a everyhing-language (fits to everything)
Damian in Britland   Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:01 pm GMT
**The scottish accent is by far the sexiest accent, and that is not because of Sean Connery :) **

Talena....that's really sweet of you....the streets of Edinburgh resound to the tones of Scotsmen indisputably oozing verbal sexiness from all quarters. If it's not Sean (who... btw.... is erm....how shall I put it....not in the first impetuous flow of youth is he?) then who else from this heather strewn land of passion do you have in mind? Even Ewan is pushing on a wee bit now isn't he?

Adam....Nesbitt doesnae count...he's a Glaswegian. There ARE exceptions to the rule. Outside of that city Scotland is one great big accented lovenest.

That should get some reaction down there in Bolton......

Thanks Candy.....can we be the Compos Mentis Brit Quartet then? Has a nice ring to it. :-)