Is English A Sexy Language?

Damian in Edinburgh   Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:58 pm GMT
The most disgusting looking foodstuff in the UK is tripe...it looks so dreich I can't understand how anybody could put any of it anywhere near the mouth. It's actually the stomach lining of a cow and it looks it! ;-(
I saw some in Kirkgate market in Leeds...I think they only eat it in the north of England. Apparently it's boiled and then eaten with onions. I feel a wee bit sick all of a sudden.......
Adam   Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:21 pm GMT
Us Northerners like black pudding, too. It's hardly eaten anywhere else in Britain. Basically, it's just pig's blood that is hardened and turned into a sausage. (I don't mean to sound dirty here.)

That's why we also call it "blood sausage". Basically, it's mostly just the left overs from the abbatoir - mainly pig's blood but also probably bits of veins and its nervous system.

But, it DELICIOUS, and it's usually eaten with a traditional English fry up.
Jim C, York   Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:33 pm GMT
Used to eat cow brains round here, and my Nan used to eat tongue sandwhich. BSE changed what you could eat though. They eat black puddin' else where as well. What is it with Cockneys and jellied eels? Where I come from its bad luck to catch an eel, its otter food.
Adam   Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:36 pm GMT
They used to sell sheeps' brians on Bolton market. They looked almost like cauliflower.

I think another food us Northerners like that doesn't seem to be eaten elsewhere is mushy peas.
Adam   Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:37 pm GMT
"and my Nan used to eat tongue sandwhich."

I still eat tongue sandwiches. You can't beat it.
branded   Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:19 pm GMT
What about sausage sandwiches? I'd say you'd like a sausage shoved into your mouth, Adam.
Adam   Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:49 pm GMT
Yeah. But it depends what type of sausage you're talking about.