In Praise of Antimoon

Guest   Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:42 pm GMT
Recently I read that some posters were banned for opinions over at H-T-L-L. It's another language site and a good one in many ways, but they don't have the diversity of opinions. Even though we have some incredibly silly opinions (some of them mine, probably) at least we can sometimes get a good discussion going here.
Xie   Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:56 am GMT
May I know who? It seems to me that there are "some signs" (don't know how to put that in English) that a few "normal" guys have disappeared (not to mention the "abnormal" ones banned previously).
Guest   Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:14 am GMT
I don't know, but there is a message in the polyglottery threads from the administrator. I don't know when it happened. It sounds like someone was impolite. I'm not trying to be sarcastic when I write that. Every forum has their own ideas, but I'm glad for the relative freedom we have here.
Xie   Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:37 am GMT
That appears everywhere. I'm actually suspecting some early member(s)...

I hope this message won't get deleted (nor do I want to offend anyone HERE), but as I see it, someone might have gotten mad with a few supposedly dissident people. This is rather laughable, esp. since I've already seen a lot of even more stupid discussions going on everywhere in many Chinese forums (this is an idiotic feature; you'd know it if you can read them), and yet even moderators wouldn't take it very seriously, since they know everyone (or most) uses the internet for fun. As long as it's not too sarcastic/offensive, everything is alright. Some Chinese are often too serious about certain matters (cultural, political), but for discussions, I think we are quite open.

Conceptually, there must be some more serious, academic internet communities (like university-like forums); but then, it's too childish for a "grown-up" to literally use some 1984-style measures to purge a part of the cyber space of unwanted discussions, while even more _bitter_ ones remain intact.
Guest   Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:04 am GMT
I enjoy some of the posters over there and some post here as well.
We just have more freedom to discuss here overall even if the diversity is greater there. The archives here are very good for some topics, just as good as topics over there or better.