8 year-old Wendy Vo speaks 11 languages fluently

Guest   Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:30 am GMT
There is a child who "speaks" thirteen languages on Youtube, but it mostly seems to be vendor vocabulary.
Guest   Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:34 am GMT
I watched the video, and while impressive, I doubt she is "fluent". She obviously learned a lot of basic expressions and can read, which I give her credit for, but that doesn't make her fluent. Plus, the Japanese she was reading was only in kana and didn't have any kanji. I doubt she can have an in depth conversation in most of those languages.
Guest   Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:44 am GMT
She's a kid for god's sake! How "in depth" of a conversation can a kid have even in her own native language?
Guest   Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:56 am GMT
True. I simply meant that it is doubtful she speaks 8 languges "fluently". But she has a good head start.
Guest   Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:02 am GMT
This is why I dread the conversations about children who are multilingual. Do we take into account that they are probably not fully
conversant in all languages or do we praise them?

I noticed a lot of things that I'm not going to mention. I do look forward to seeing her progress and I wonder if she will continue to enjoy languages or if she will need to move on to bigger challenges-perhaps in math.
Guest   Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:14 am GMT
I doubt she'll continue learning them all. She'll probably settle on 2 or 3 (English and one or 2 others) when she gets to be a teenager and concentrate on putting her talents into her career (unless that career is languages, which is not unlikely, although she ought to do something that'll benefit mankind.)
Guest   Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:34 am GMT
I believe she said that she wanted to be a doctor in her "Japanese" interview.
Guest   Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:45 am GMT
This is beautiful. It is not Wendy Vo, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ov81GvB4Wd4&feature=related
Guest   Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:18 pm GMT
Remember the time she had to demonstrate her fluency for each language was only a few minutes.She could only engage in a short and basic conversation.However,the fact that she could read all the languages proves it is likely her knowledge of the 11 languages goes far beyond what we saw in the video's.
Guest   Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:28 pm GMT
You guys should drop by showcaseyourmusic.com to listen to her music.It is unbelievable.Can somebody post a link here.I don't know how to do that.Thanks.
Guest   Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:59 pm GMT
She was on Ellen last month
Guest   Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:56 pm GMT
Wendy Vo speaks only 11 languages.That is a lot less than Muhamed mesic.But Wendy Vo is real,Muhamed Mesic is fake.
Guest   Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:15 pm GMT
To those who say that ease at learning languages is not related to CI. At first glance this kid is intellectualy well above average, that is the reason why she learned so many languages at such an early age.
K. T.   Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:19 pm GMT
I have no idea if Muhamed Mesic is a real polyglot or not. I believe that someone claiming to be him showed up on the how-to-learn-any-language site and that may be the reason for the TOEFL comment I read on the other thread.
K. T.   Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:31 pm GMT
In general, it is better not to make huge language claims even if one knows more languages than one claims. Sooner or later someone is going to ask you to perform.