Languages in the EU

K. T.   Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:38 am GMT
I wish we had the expertise of Omniglot, the diversity of Unilang, the seriousness and sincerty of Learning Languages and some of the warm personalities of Langcafe.

I can do without the registration, and moderating of some of those sites. I appreciate those who are honest about their opinions and can back them up. I'm not keen on people who swoon over personalities.
Guest   Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:52 am GMT
Well, NOW we know.
K. T.   Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:10 am GMT
What do you know?
Diablo Blanco   Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:39 am GMT
<<the diversity of Unilang,>>

Now there's a surprise: K.T. seeking 'diversity...'
Guest   Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:41 am GMT
K.T: "I appreciate those who are honest about their opinions and can back them up."

...unless I disagree with them -- then they suck.
K. T.   Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:08 am GMT
I like Unilang. I like their translation forum. I like their translation "game" and the fun of seeing where the translation went awry. Have you seen it?
They have enough "diversity" in languages to play this game at length. It also drives home the danger of translating from language to language instead of going to the original source. It's amazing Lewis and Clark got anywhere with a similar interpreting "service" when they explored the US.

Yes, I disagree with some people here. I don't believe it's necessary to put Hispanics down or the Spanish language. The same goes for French.
I like German just fine, but I understand the "politics" surrounding the use of this language.
Guest   Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:14 am GMT
LOL! K.T. is definitely not PC through and through. Clearly, he has something against Germany because of the Nazis. Otherwise, he wouldn't bring up these NON EXISTANT political issues.
K. T.   Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:29 am GMT
Of course I am not PC. I didn't designate myself that way.

I personally do not have anything against German people, but almost everyone I meet who does not have German heritage complains about Germans, the sound of German etc. Even Alsatians aren't fond of them.
Guest   Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:48 am GMT
That's because it is an ugly sounding language and has nothing to do with politics and everthing to do with aesthetics.
Guest   Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:12 am GMT
<<That's because it is an ugly sounding language and has nothing to do with politics and everthing to do with aesthetics. >>

But you'll have to admit that German looks great as a written language. All those umlauts and unexpected h's everywhere. It's far classier than English.
unregistered guest   Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:17 am GMT
<<Lol! I hate sites like LangCafe and Langwelt where everyone is the BEST OF BUDDIES. Hangin out with the gang! Hahahaha. Much better here where there is anonimity and one can be both a French frog and a Hispanic dung bettle and a fat american at the same time without anyone knowing ! >>

Exactly -- the best feature of Antimoon is the lack of registration. For those of us into devil's advocacy, role playing, sock puppetry, trolling, or even DID, this is the clearly site of choice.
Guest   Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:25 am GMT
What's DID?
Paulito   Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:10 pm GMT
But you'll have to admit that German looks great as a written language. All those umlauts and unexpected h's everywhere. It's far classier than English.

This is your opinion, I think the opposite
Guest   Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:13 pm GMT
<<What's DID? >>

DID = DSM-IV 300.14 -- Dissociative Identity Disorder
Guest   Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:18 pm GMT
''I like Unilang. ''

I don't. There are not objective. Try write something on Brazilian linguistics/usage, they will ban you saying (Don't separate the Portuguese language...) :yawn:

Unilang is a lobby site, antimoon is a hobby site.