English spoken EVERYWHERE

G'Day Mate   Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:21 am GMT
Here in OZ the dirty hispanics have no choice but to speak English and the moment they step on the Oz soil they're already proficient in English and within a few months they are fluent in it and already dumped the Spanish language.

If the Yankees in Guatemala who clean the toilet use no rags or sponge as what the last Guest alleged, the hispanics here use their tongue to clean the toilet bowl.
Guest   Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:12 am GMT
Fijaros si el espaƱol no sirve de nada que uno escribe en su idioma y tiene a todos los sucios malolientes y apestosos usenses para ensuciar sus pobres teclados con sus manos grasientas, menos mal que no saben nada de castellano
Guest   Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:52 am GMT
All the Hispanics wouldn't enough to clean yankee bowls with all the shit their obese asses can erupt.
Eat less and above all eat something similar to food
Guest   Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:00 pm GMT
In my country dogs would refuse to eat what the Americans eat. And they think that they live in the best country! God blesses ignorance (and stupidity).
Skippy   Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:03 pm GMT
lol ok Guest, I thought you were actually being mean in your ignorant attacks of America, but now I know you're just insane.
Guest   Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:33 pm GMT
<<In my country dogs would refuse to eat what the Americans eat. >>

Same thing here in the US. Dogs, and especially cats, don't seem to like the same kinds of food we do. They seem to like meat a lot more than we do. :)

<<And they think that they live in the best country! God blesses ignorance (and stupidity). >>

Which is better: living in a state of blissful ignorance, or living in a state of sophisticated and cosmopolitan bitterness?
Guest   Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:04 pm GMT
Same thing here in the US. Dogs, and especially cats, don't seem to like the same kinds of food we do. They seem to like meat a lot more than we do.

My dogs eat the food that is left and seem happy. They eat meat, vegetables and even fish. They don't like fruits but appart from that they eat a wide variety of food. I never would feed them with hamburgers like the Americans do all the time. That would be animal cruelty!
Guest   Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:12 pm GMT
"Which is better: living in a state of blissful ignorance, or living in a state of sophisticated and cosmopolitan bitterness?"

If the world is endangered, I would not prefer the former.
El Cid (the real one)   Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:43 am GMT
I find it amusing that someone felt so threatened by my past postings (that were fair BTW) that they could only react by taking my user name and making false posts with it (the last few ones). I guess they didn't have anything intelligent to say so that is why they resorted to using my name. What where you threatened about the converstion that me and Colette were having, just because it wasn't all-praising of French? I know a troll when I see one, but you cannot accuse me of being one because my posts are fair and I admit the limitations that exist with Spanish. So piss off French troll. Not ALL pro-French people, just this specific troll. BTW, I'm anti-troll for any language.
El Cid (the real one)   Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:14 am GMT
I want to clear up something about Spanish education in the US. I fully admit the many high school students don't take foreign language seriously, thus many young students are not very good at Spanish even though it is the most chosen. But, high school aside, Spanish is the most studied foreign language in the universities, where students tend to take learning a language more seriously (as a major, minor, study abroad, etc). This is where it counts and this is what I was originally talking about.

To the people who were down-playing high school students studying Spanish, I actually agree with you for the most part. But this trend goes for all languages at the high school level, so let's forget high school stats.

Now, Colette mentioned that French and German are moreso required for upper level college, like Ph D programs. I agree with this as well. However, the majority of students don't pursue this level and can be considered regular college students (BA, BS level). It is among this group that the order is Spanish, French, German.

So, the bottom line is that Spanish is the most studied language among US college students in general, so please don't try to down-play that. Before people get sensitive or try to argue the point, just please know that I don't hold anything against French, but I'm just saying how it is in the US. Thanks. Gracias. Merci.

PS. Because of trollery, this is the last time I will use this user name. So, if anyone else posts as "El Cid" is isn't me.
Guest   Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:21 am GMT
^ To help further support this, here is link for infoplease with fairly recent stats.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0905275.html
Guest   Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:53 am GMT
The only language one could ever need for advanced study is English, unless it's some 'country specific' subject.
Guest   Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:28 am GMT
<< The only language one could ever need for advanced study is English, unless it's some 'country specific' subject. >>

Nowadays that's basically the truth. Even if German or French are required for some advanced study, you only really need to use English, except for regional studies of course.
Guest   Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:28 am GMT
El Cid makes some good points, but let me clarify one more time. Even in college, unless a student is majoring or minoring in a specific language, they are probably not proficient. Many colleges have the same kinds of "blow off" foreign language requirements that high schools have and students regard them in the same way. I've seen it first-hand.
Guest   Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:47 am GMT
'Proficiency' is a big ask. I would say most people in most 'run of the mill' countries (ie , not the hard core English lover countries like in Scandanavia) are not 'proficient' in English. Any American who majors in a foreign language will certainly be able to communicate reasonable efficiently for a foreigner. And this is the same level as most educated people in other countries when speaking English.

There is however one GINORMOUS difference. Those people in non-English countries ARE NOT ENGLISH MAJORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! However it's not that startling, because degrees in those countries include English much more often even if the subject is completely unrelated to language. Every department has 'English for [profession]' courses etc.