The most contrasting Latin languages?

Rolando   Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:33 am GMT
Petre, What I meant was that a Spanish, Italian, & Portugese can understand each other to a certain extend, but those 3 can't understand a French or Romanian, or vice versa, As what I heard is that a Romanian can understand an Italian.
Guest   Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:41 am GMT
Spoken Italian would be somewhat intelligible to the Spanish speaker, while written Italian would be somewhat intelligible to the French reader.
Mr. Panucci's Pizza   Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:00 am GMT
Italian is Florence dialect. North Italian languages (Venetian, Lombard, Ligurian, ecc.) are similar with French while South Italian languages (Neapolitan, Sicilian, ecc.) are similar with Castilian.
Guest   Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:39 am GMT
Rolando, being a native Spanish speaker I can understan writen French better than Italian, but when spoken things are different.
Guest   Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:52 am GMT
Italian is Florence dialect. North Italian languages (Venetian, Lombard, Ligurian, ecc.) are similar with French while South Italian languages (Neapolitan, Sicilian, ecc.) are similar with Castilian.

It's just the opposite, gentically North Italian dialects belong to the Gallo-Iberian family, so they are closer to Castilian than the South Italian ones. For example the plural marker is -s in both cases rather than -e , -i like in Italian , Sicilian, Napolitan... North to the divisory line La Spezia-Rimini all the Romance languages belong to the same subbranch , and south to it there is another subbranch within the Western Romance group of languages.
PARISIEN   Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:46 pm GMT
<< It's just the opposite, gentically North Italian dialects belong to the Gallo-Iberian family, so they are closer to Castilian than the South Italian ones. For example the plural marker is -s in both cases rather than -e , -i like in Italian , Sicilian, Napolitan... >>
-- Wrong. Plural marker is '-s' in Sardinian and Rheto-Romance languages (such as Friulan), not in Gallo-Italic languages.
That being said, ancient documents suggest that Piedmontese (hence probably Ligurian, Lombardian and Emilian too) used plurals with '-s' in a previous stage of evolution, and that there used to be a near perfect dialect continuum with Occitan.

<< Rolando, being a native Spanish speaker I can understan writen French better than Italian, but when spoken things are different. >>
-- I believe it's true. Italians often say just the same.
This is an effect of French etymological spelling. As difficult and illogical as it may be, it offers a better intuitive understanding in the written form to anyone with some knowledge of Latin.
Guest   Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:49 pm GMT
Romanian linked to Italian French and Spanish?????!!!!! GIve up drinking
Alessandro   Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:59 pm GMT
I'm from Milan.
I assent with PARISIEN.
I can say that I can fell French more similar to Lombard language, but I'm mother tongue Italian (Lombard is my second language) and I can understand better Castilian.
I remember that my father (mother tongue Lombard) watched "Tour de France" on Antenne 2 understanding everything.
intelligible - nausea   Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:04 pm GMT
intelligible x, intelligible Y, intelligible x, intelligible Y, intelligible x, intelligible Y, intelligible x, intelligible Y, intelligible x, intelligible Y, intelligible x, intelligible Y, intelligible x, intelligible Y, intelligible x, intelligible Y.................
I have two big balls about that, I can't think of a more boring people like you
intelligible - fan   Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:51 pm GMT
I like this Topic.
Petre   Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:42 pm GMT
Well, I kindly suggest that you guys should expand your knowledge of Romance languages, as it really lacks objectivity.

From what I can see – you people have zero familiarity with Romanian / or the Eastern Branch of Continental Romance.

Let me explain.
Romanian is spoken by 30 million Romanians worldwide and is not a minority language by far, like Catalan, Romansh, Sicilian, etc

If you click on the link below you’ll see that Romanian and Italian evolved on independent paths compared with the rest of the Romance group.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Romance_languages_improved.PNG

As a result, Romanian and Italian (especially Sicilian) share many similarities that are not found in other Romance languages.

The importance of Romanian as a whole, is highlighted by the fact that it represents a totally New branch of Romance languages – The Eastern Branch that brings more light together with the Italo-Western Branch – and by patching the gaps in understanding of the Romance linguistics.

In other words some answers in understanding Romance linguistics exist only in the Eastern Branch, some, only in the western branch, and you are missing the big picture, by solely focusing on the Western Branch.

Kind regards
Guest   Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:00 pm GMT
As a result, Romanian and Italian (especially Sicilian) share many similarities that are not found in other Romance languages.

YOU ARE DRUNK, POOR GUY
K. T.   Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:01 pm GMT
Are there any interesting sites comparing Italian dialects?
Guest   Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:09 pm GMT
French
l
Spanish-Italian-Romanian
+
Portuguese
K. T.   Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:12 pm GMT
Nope, I can never get that to post correctly. I think of all of the languages being related to Italian, but in different ways. I wonder why people bother to argue about this, though. It's nationalism, I reckon.