English in Europe

Guest   Tue May 06, 2008 11:10 pm GMT
Here in Slovenia everyone speaks fluent English. Many people in neighboring Croatia speak it too (almost everyone born after 1980)
PhotoGram   Tue May 06, 2008 11:21 pm GMT
<<tu t'es trompé de sous-forum. Ce débat intéresse la section monolingue. >>
<<Sauf qu'ici on s'en fout : l'anglais en Europe (ou ailleurs), c'est hors-sujet.>>

Salut greg,
J'ai pensé que ce thread va être intéressant pour les gens qui fréquentent la section multilingue. On peux déclarer que les les Néerlandais peuvent parler l'Anglais mieux que les scandinaviens parce que sa langue (i.e. le Néerlandais) est linguistiquement plus proche de l'Anglais que le Suédois, par example.

Anyways, I feel really tempted to change the subject of my own thread to Turkey and its joining the EU.

Only 3% of Turkey's landmass is in Europe, the rest (97%) is in Asia.
Also, Turkey was always distinct from Europe in terms of history and culture, factors such as Christendom, the Reformation, or the Enlightenment never took hold in Turkey but have tremendously helped shape and unify most of Europe and provide justification and rationale for the European Union, which is 100% secular today of course.
PhotoGram   Tue May 06, 2008 11:43 pm GMT
<<Here in Slovenia everyone speaks fluent English. Many people in neighboring Croatia speak it too (almost everyone born after 1980)>>

But I highly doubt that Slovenia has the same capacity of speaking English as Sweden, for example, which even produced music bands that sing in English (e.g. Abba, Ace of Base, Oh Laura, E-Type, Da Buzz... etc.)

Same thing with the others...

Norway --------> Röyskopp
Netherlands ---> Four Strings
Belgium (VL) --> Ian Van Dahl, Lasgo, Kate Ryan, Milk Inc.
Skippy   Wed May 07, 2008 12:15 am GMT
And Millencolin...
Guest   Wed May 07, 2008 1:17 am GMT
<<Here in Slovenia everyone speaks fluent English.>>

100% fluency in English would beat out any Scandinavian country, and even the US.
Guest   Wed May 07, 2008 1:44 am GMT
<<Anyways, I feel really tempted to change the subject of my own thread to Turkey and its joining the EU.

Only 3% of Turkey's landmass is in Europe, the rest (97%) is in Asia.
>>

The only reason I mentioned Turkey in the list of southern European countries is because there's serious consideration about it joining the EU. Contrast that with China, US, or Somalia, which are 100% non-European (and will presumably stay out of EU until (heaven help us) it morphs into the World Union (WU) or Earth Union (EU)).
Guest   Wed May 07, 2008 1:53 am GMT
Nobody considers seriously that Turkey will join EU ever.
Guest   Wed May 07, 2008 2:41 am GMT
-But I highly doubt that Slovenia has the same capacity of speaking English as Sweden, for example, which even produced music bands that sing in English (e.g. Abba, Ace of Base, Oh Laura, E-Type, Da Buzz... etc.) -

Even Italy produced music bands that sing in English: Eiffel 65 even won a Grammy Award, but you cannot say Italians are fluent in English.

50% of European dance music is produced in Italy, and sung in Italian.
Guest   Wed May 07, 2008 2:43 am GMT
-But I highly doubt that Slovenia has the same capacity of speaking English as Sweden, for example, which even produced music bands that sing in English (e.g. Abba, Ace of Base, Oh Laura, E-Type, Da Buzz... etc.) -

Even Italy produced music bands that sing in English: Eiffel 65 even won a Grammy Award, but you cannot say Italians are fluent in English.

50% of European dance music is produced in Italy, and sung in English: Alexia, Dhany, Jenny B, Taleesa are one of the most famous Italian singers.
Guest   Wed May 07, 2008 5:06 am GMT
Italian is more widely spoken in Slovenia, Croatia, and Albania.
Guest   Wed May 07, 2008 5:22 am GMT
Italian is more widely spoken and understood than English in Slovenia, Croatia, and Albania.
Guest   Wed May 07, 2008 1:22 pm GMT
''Italian is more widely spoken and understood than English in Slovenia, Croatia, and Albania.''

Not true at all. Non parlar bugie.
Guest   Wed May 07, 2008 2:25 pm GMT
When I was in Serbia, and passing through Slovenia and Croatia, All of the younger people I ran into spoke fluent English to some degree.

Only the older folks did not speak it. They spoke to me in German thinking I would understand them (which I did since I speak German as well).
Guest   Wed May 07, 2008 6:57 pm GMT
Slovenian bands "that sing in English"
Laibach, Elvis Jackson, Noctiferia
greg   Wed May 07, 2008 7:58 pm GMT
PhotoGram : « J'ai pensé que ce thread va être intéressant pour les gens qui fréquentent la section multilingue. On peux déclarer que les les Néerlandais peuvent parler l'Anglais mieux que les scandinaviens parce que sa langue (i.e. le Néerlandais) est linguistiquement plus proche de l'Anglais que le Suédois, par example. »

Salut !

T'inquiète pas : ton salon est très intéressant mais j'attends juste des animateurs qu'ils le replacent dans la section idoine. C'est leur boulot après tout.