English in Europe

PhotoGram   Wed May 07, 2008 11:41 pm GMT
<<The only reason I mentioned Turkey in the list of southern European countries is because there's serious consideration about it joining the EU.>>

No doubt, but I was just saying that, even if the EU decided to somehow annex Turkey, it still doesn't make it a true European country like France or Germany.

<<Even Italy produced music bands that sing in English: Eiffel 65 even won a Grammy Award>>

Sure, but you should also take history into consideration.
Swedish musicians have been singing in English since the 1960's, so English seems to be more deeply entrenched up there.
Guest   Thu May 08, 2008 8:58 am GMT
<< ''Italian is more widely spoken and understood than English in Slovenia, Croatia, and Albania.''

Not true at all. Non parlar bugie. >>

Really? I heard a Slovenian or Croatian use Italian to communicate with Albanians or Maltese to facilitate understanding. Furthermore 2nd generation Croatians immigrants in English speaking countries declare that they know how to speak Italians because their parents taught them how to.
Guest   Thu May 08, 2008 11:24 am GMT
^Troll^
Guest   Thu May 08, 2008 12:23 pm GMT
''Furthermore 2nd generation Croatians immigrants in English speaking countries declare that they know how to speak Italians because their parents taught them how to''

Keep on dreaming.
Croatian immigrants in English speaking countries (like John Malkovich's grandparents) end up speaking English.
Guest   Sun May 11, 2008 5:55 am GMT
<< Keep on dreaming.
Croatian immigrants in English speaking countries (like John Malkovich's grandparents) end up speaking English. >>

Keep on dreaming too. They do know how to speak Italian and of course Englsih because they chose to settle in an English speaking country. You didn't get the context of my message.