language of democracy?

Guest   Tue May 06, 2008 7:35 pm GMT
>>The US is a democracy.<<

From Europe your "democracy" looks very similar to a dictature.
Guest   Tue May 06, 2008 7:49 pm GMT
Plus we don't have to deal with people like le Pen or Udo Voigt having any real political power.

You have t deal with Bush who is worse.
Guest   Tue May 06, 2008 8:12 pm GMT
"we don't have to deal with people like le Pen"
You said it. Very democratic. If 30% of French want to vote for Le Pen it's their right.
greg   Tue May 06, 2008 9:03 pm GMT
Skippy : « Though I don't mean to be pretentious, the US is the oldest democracy [...] ».

Les États-Unis ont été une démocratie (imparfaite d'ailleurs) entre 1965 & 2000, soit à peine 35 ans. C'est un peu court pour prétendre au titre de plus vieille démocratie.
Skippy   Tue May 06, 2008 11:24 pm GMT
It seems everyone has a different definition of democracy, and if you want to get really nit-picky, there is no nation in the world that is a true "democracy."

The US has the oldest Constitution in the world and has been a democracy (or representative democracy, republic, or whatever). I can't think of any nation off the top of my head that has given the majority of its political power to its people earlier than that.

I'll admit I'm wrong if you can prove to me that another nation gave its people so much power. I know Iceland has had the Althing for forever, but was it actually more than just a council of princes/dukes/earles or whatever? According to what I've read on Wikipedia (yeah yeah, I know) Iceland has only been a true Republic since 1940.

The US has been a republic since before 1965. African-Americans got the right to vote in 1870 and women in 1920 (some states even before then). For the most part that beats Italy, France, women under 30 in the UK, Spain, Portugal, Quebec, France, Japan and so on.
mac   Wed May 07, 2008 7:06 am GMT
I'm with ya Skippy. A lot of these US-bashers make me laugh. I'm not saying the US is perfect, but compared to most other countries out there, it's pretty damn good.

<< From Europe your "democracy" looks very similar to a dictature. >>

Do you even know what a dictatorship is. Ok, you go live in a country that is under a dictatorship and then go live in the US. I think you will find vast and obvious differences. I don't like Bush and he will be out of office soon. Why? Because the US is a democracy you fool. He should never have been president, but hopefully things will get back on track.
Guest   Wed May 07, 2008 7:09 am GMT
In America, if you write that you hate Bush on your facebook account the government agents will come question you. Even if you're a teenage girl! It happened really! They came to her school and remanded her in custody for 2 hours
greg   Wed May 07, 2008 9:20 am GMT
Skippy : « The US has the oldest Constitution in the world [...] ».

Non. Les plus anciennes constitutions modernes sont celles de Corse : la première en 1735 et la seconde en 1755. La seconde Constitution corse, rédigée par Pascal Paoli sous l'influence de Jean-Jacques Rousseau, a inspiré les rédacteurs de la Constitution états-unienne.

Skippy : « I can't think of any nation off the top of my head that has given the majority of its political power to its people earlier than that. »

Encore une fois tu t'abuses en confondant la notion de "peuple" avec celle de blancs de peau de sexe masculin de condition non servile.

Skippy : « The US has been a republic since before 1965. »

Non, jamais. Les États-Unis sont une "république" fédérale, pas une République. D'ailleurs le président de cette "république" fédérale, c'est-à-dire le chef de l'exécutif de la fédération, est élu par moins de 600 personnes. Tu me diras que ces quelques privilégiés sont eux-mêmes élus par le peuple. Oui, depuis 1965. Mais le peuple des États-Unis n'est pas le réel souverain dans la mesure ou Gore a été déclaré perdant en 2000 bien qu'ayant remporté 543.816 voix de plus que le singe (compte non-tenu des fraudes en tout genre qui ont artificiellement réduit cet écart à un peu plus de cinq cent mille bulletins). Ce scandale arithmétique est aussi une parodie de démocratie : ce sont les pseudo-états des États-Unis qui élisent leur président et non le peuple des États-Unis. Les États-Unis sont une république d'entités proto-étatiques et non une "république" de citoyens.

Skippy : « African-Americans got the right to vote in 1870 [...] ».

Faux. Pour certains des États-Uniens dont les deux seuls torts étaient d'avoir la peau noire et de descendre d'hommes réduits en esclavage, le droit de vote était conditionnel avant 1965. Ce n'était donc pas un droit. Ils avaient une possibilité théorique de voter, mais pas le droit inconditionnel de le faire.

Skippy : « For the most part that beats Italy, France, women under 30 in the UK, Spain, Portugal, Quebec, France, Japan and so on. »

En France c'est même pire que ça : la démocratie a été réalisée en 1944 avec le droit de vote accordé aux femmes. Avant le pays n'était qu'une République pseudo-démocratique (hors Vichy bien sûr → dictature fasciste).
WILD WEST   Wed May 07, 2008 2:27 pm GMT
US is NOT a DEMOCRACY - FULL STOP !!!

WHY?

In a democracy people dont EXECUTE and KILL other people.

YOU still have the Capital Punishment - shame on you Barbarians with guns!

When your Barbarian states will abolish the Capital Punishment -you will become a DEMOCRACY.

Only USA from the civilized Western World KILLS HUMANS (guilty or not).

No European country has the Capital Punishment.

Only primitive country like Turkey, China, USA, etc
WILD WEST   Wed May 07, 2008 2:28 pm GMT
US is NOT a DEMOCRACY - FULL STOP !!!

WHY?

In a democracy people dont EXECUTE and KILL other people.

YOU still have the Capital Punishment - shame on you Barbarians with guns!

When your Barbarian states will abolish the Capital Punishment -you will become a DEMOCRACY.

Only USA from the civilized Western World KILLS HUMANS (guilty or not).

No European country has the Capital Punishment.

Only primitive country like Turkey, China, USA, etc
Guest   Wed May 07, 2008 2:34 pm GMT
Democracy has nothing to do with capital punishment. Democracy is about the will of the people, and if the people want someone to die, then it would undemocratic NOT to kill them.
LETHAL INJECTION   Wed May 07, 2008 2:43 pm GMT
hmm yummy !

Can I Toast my balls on the Electric Chair ? O0HH or that was too subhuman for the yanks ? WOW you are so much civilized now - with the LETHAL INJECTION.

I piss on your fucking pajama flag, Mc Pepsi, your obese retards, serial criminals, and your circumcised dicks (you fucking Jew lovers). You call yourself a democracy, you fucking wild west twats, full of GUNS, AIDS and CRIME.

You all deserve your own democratic medicine - a LETHAL INJECTION !

Great success !
Guest   Wed May 07, 2008 2:48 pm GMT
A country that does not respect the Human rights - is not a democracy.

The universal Human rights, are against the capital punishment, that is why some US states are against it, and some others promote it.
Guest   Wed May 07, 2008 2:58 pm GMT
Why does a democracy have to respect human rights? That's not part of the definition.
Anti-Democratic Action (A   Wed May 07, 2008 3:20 pm GMT
http://www.anus.com/tribes/ada/

Quote:

>>Seeing that democracy is a disaster is impossible for most people. They do not think on the scope of what happens beyond their lifetime to areas larger than a local community. Democracy gives them an easy, lazy, pampered life where they feel they have enough control to restrain more competent people from compelling them to live less uselessly. This collective blindness is further proof that democracy is a failure: government "by the people" does not consider the question of what is right for all of us and the environment, but is well-tuned to individual selfishness and egomania.<<