niggardly

Guest   Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:50 am GMT
is it ok to use this word?
Wintereis   Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:33 am GMT
Only if you want people to dislike you.
MollyB   Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:50 am GMT
It's fine:

nig·gard·ly

–adjective 1. reluctant to give or spend; stingy; miserly.
2. meanly or ungenerously small or scanty: a niggardly tip to a waiter.
–adverb 3. in the manner of a niggard.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Origin: 1520–30; niggard + -ly]
Guest   Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:05 am GMT
I wouldn't recommend using it around dumb people though because if they don't know the word they will likely take offence. It's not that common of a word.
Guest   Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:06 am GMT
I've heard that someone almost got fired over using it, so I wouldn't recommend it.
Guest   Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:10 am GMT
<I've heard that someone almost got fired over using it, so I wouldn't recommend it. >

Many people get fired for saying "pay rise". Should we all stop using it?

I think many people incorrectly think that niggardly is connected to the word "nigger". That's why people suggest not using it, but we shouldn't let such ignorant people influence our language use.
meez   Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:51 am GMT
Yep...especially when amongst not so well read people, I wouldn't use it...They'll rather hear "nigger" as the word niggard itself has become a little outdated in the last 20 years (Thanks to PC)
Guest   Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:04 am GMT
You'll likely get your ass beat, or maybe even worse if you used that word in the wrong company or the wrong place.
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:22 am GMT
I wonder what prompted you to ask whether it was acceptable to use this word? As if I didn't know..... It's a perfectly ordinary word in fairly common use, and if certain people react negatively to its use then it's a perfect display of absolute ignorance. If there is anything which is destroying western cultures it's political correctness verging on insanity.
Guest   Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:27 am GMT
Well, if they don't know the word how can you blame them... of course they're going to think it's related, as did I the first time I heard it...
Guest   Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:48 am GMT
We shouldn't have to dumb down our language just because some people are ignorant.
Guest   Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:52 am GMT
Not saying you have to but everyone's gotta hear the word for a first time and their reaction is understandable... What if tomorrow someone came up to you and said:

"Hi there, assholecuntfaced"

When he's laying bleeding on the ground you find out "assholecuntfaced" means "cool person"...
Guest   Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:27 am GMT
Only a very violent person would leave someone bleeding on the ground for that.
Guest   Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:30 am GMT
There are a lot of violent people out there, so be careful where you say "niggardly". If the people who don't know that word are so "uneducated" it follows they're probably more violent than the lot who do know the word...
Guest   Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:42 am GMT
I'm not justifying their ignorance, I'm just giving you some good advice on how to keep yourself safe...