Català

eu   Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:01 am GMT
Is the Catalan language near to Frensh?
Is the Catalan near to Occitan too? And to Galician?
si   Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:22 am GMT
Yes to all 3
eu   Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:33 am GMT
is closer to what?
4398548   Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:56 am GMT
Occitan
guest guest   Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:21 am GMT
Catalan and occitan are very close, some even consider that they are actually two dialects of the same language.

both languages are somehow in the middle between Spanish (castillan), French (langue d'oil), and Italian (Tuscan).
blanc   Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:18 pm GMT
Italian?? Not at all; Portuguese more.
Commonaswhole   Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:24 pm GMT
What is the origin of the so-called differentation between Valencian and Catalan? I assume Valencians have a strong identity apart from other Catalans and their autonomous region has been overflowed by Castillians.

In a way it weakens the position of Catalan in Spain by calling it a separate language (cfr. people reducing Belgian Dutch as Flemish).
rep   Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:41 pm GMT
<<Italian?? Not at all; Portuguese more.>>
Piedmontese dialect has some features of Occitan (or Provençal).
383678   Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:20 pm GMT
>> In a way it weakens the position of Catalan in Spain by calling it a separate language <<

How does it weaken its position? Isn't it a good thing to call it a separate language and not just a "dialect" of Spanish? And anyway it's no closer to Spanish than it is to French.
Commonaswhole   Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:25 pm GMT
True, but they don't call their language Catalan, while there's great intelligibility between Catalonians and Valencians. That's what I meant.

It's actually a southern dialect of Catalan in reality.

Then again, I don't know that much about Valencian or Catalonian society.
Commonaswhole   Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:26 pm GMT
Also, I'm talking about Catalan, not about Castillian (Spanish).
Guest   Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:34 pm GMT
The distinction between dialect and language is subjective and many times self-awareness of people who speak that so-called dialect is enough for that dialect to become a language. The Valencians don't call their language Catalan because they never did and will never do . Why should they? Why don't the Catalans call Valencian the Catalan language instead? Valencian writers always said they wrote in Valencian and even Cervantes attested in Don Quixote that Valencian was the most melifluous language. The most important pieces of literature in Valencian-Catalan were writen by Valencian authors , not Catalan, so I would say that Catalan is a branch of Valencian and not vice-versa.
zumzo   Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:32 pm GMT
Piedmontese dialect has some features of Occitan (or Provençal).

that's not Italian, honey..it's a dialect.
Jacyra   Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:33 pm GMT
The most important pieces of literature in Valencian-Catalan were writen by Valencian authors , not Catalan, so I would say that Catalan is a branch of Valencian and not vice-versa.

//

But, Valencian speakers are more likely to speak Spanish informally than Catalan speakers. I'd say that in 20 year's time, Castillian will be the only language in Valencia.
Valencian people are just not too proud enough: they like speaking Spanish every day more and more.
Jacyra   Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:42 pm GMT
Knowledge of Valencian in the Valencian Community:

Can understand 76%
Can speak 53%
Can read 47%
Can write 25%

Source: Acadèmia Valenciana de la Llengua (2004). Enquesta sobre la situació del valencià

So, Valencians have more of a passive knowledge of the language, and they rarely use it in writing, that means: Valencian is no longer their 1st language (which is smilar to Galego in Galícia, and different than Catalão in Catalunha)