Why I don't like French

boz   Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:28 pm GMT
I've never been to Poland but I've been to Czechia and I certainly did learn some Czech beforehand. Mind you the locals were far more likely to answer in German than in English. Probably not true anymore these days unfortunately.

Learning languages is a good reason to travel, too bad the "English über alles" crowd don't understand that. If only these idiots would stop whining...
Heli   Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:29 pm GMT
To me, it was the other way around.
jaap   Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:59 am GMT
If you want money and a good career, then go the UK. If you want a beautiful, fun, interesting, sweet life, then go to Italy. But what about France? Oh! I'm afraid there's no reason to go there! None whatsoever!
Guest   Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:04 am GMT
Sadly, France is falling apart. If you speak to any old French person, they will tell you that the France of literature, cinema and the arts is on her deathbed, agonizing in her final throes. What a pity!
Paper Crane   Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:09 am GMT
I think that the French are the worst at speaking foreign languages. When I hear French people speak English, 4 out of 5 times it's extremely difficult to understand them. I'm not sure why this is the case. Is the French education system to blame? Or do the French simply not care if they are not understood by the rest of the world?
Evinória   Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:54 am GMT
Eu acho o Francês a língua mais chique do Mundo!
User   Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:56 am GMT
French is considered "chic" by people who can't speak it.
verdade   Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:41 am GMT
Eu acho a Evinòria a mulher mais idiota do mundo!
Guest   Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:48 pm GMT
Is Evinoria a woman really or a tranny?
Tamandaré   Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:19 pm GMT
There's no need to be rude with the poor lady, this time she wasn't even talking nonsense about Brazil.

<< French is considered "chic" by people who can't speak it. >>

While I do like French very much, I think there's a hint of truth in this. But I guess it goes for all languages heavily stereotyped. For instance, German is stereotyped as an ugly and aggressive language, and I've seen many people change their views on German once they learned a bit of it.
Baldewin   Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:53 pm GMT
French is a chic language, but only in the jargon of the upper class. 95% of francophones don't speak a chic language, at all. This is true for most languages. So yes, it's indeed a stereotype about French.
Guest   Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:56 pm GMT
What is the jargon of the upper class? When I hear Sarkozy I don't perceive any chicness.
opinion   Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:01 pm GMT
Only chic language is British English. French is the same as European Portuguese or German.Ugly sounding "r"....
Baldewin   Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:06 pm GMT
You have chic languages and you have peasant tongues (not even worth of being considered a 'language').
Baldewin   Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:11 pm GMT
The point is, you have to able to use the richness the language offers to a maximum degree. Some speak their native language as a soulless inefficient medium of communication, very primitively, with the only reason their own laziness or should we say, decadence.