Latin America: Portuguese or Spanish?

mekziko   Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:24 am GMT
<<No creo que seas de Mexico, probablemente seas un frances tratando de crear controversia. >>

¿Por qué voy a ser francés? Solo digo que el español de España me parece ronco y repugnante. No pretendo crear controversia, solo quiero que la gente sepa la verdad y que los extranjeros aprendan a hablar como los mexicanos porque hablamos mucho mejor y no pronunciamos mal las palabras como lo hacen los españoles.
Franco   Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:44 am GMT
<<For this kind of purposes standard Spanish was created. It's a question of politics and marketing more than intelligibility.
>>

Sorry, I meant "neutral Spanish was created". Mexican and Argentinian Spanish are already standard in their respective countries. To the Mexican guy: you need to get rid of the drug cartels which make Mexico almost a failed state and improve the standard of living of dozens of millions of impoverished Mexicans who have to migrate to USA to clean toilets before you can be the center of the Hispanosphere. Before that happens, European Spanish will have more prestige by far.
lolling Joao   Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:06 am GMT
«All spanish accents are equals i can't see any difference between them.
Maybe if i learn more i can see some differences but this wont go so far, they ends sounding the same anyway»

mmmm... Argentine Spanish is quite different. I guess you've never heard it. It's not next door to Portugal, or am I wrong?
looling Joao   Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:20 am GMT
«And before somebody calls me up on that, no there is no parallel with the American English situation. Even Australians films are shown with no subtitles on American theaters, and suffer no damage at the box office because of the language "gap."»

What about British English? I saw once in an English speaking channel an American being intervewed by an English journalist. The American struggled a bit to understand the questions.

About Americans paying attention to films done in other English speaking countries, I think most of them simply do not see them and do not know about them. Non-American culture in the US stands as if it did not exist.
Penetra   Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:05 am GMT
Somebody also said in another post, but it needs to be repeated to exhaustion: there's no such thing as "British English." There are sundry different accents in the British Isles besides the highly artificial RP that folks outside of the UK usually associate with a "British" accent.
original name   Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:35 am GMT
<< there's no such thing as "British English." >>

Then there's no such thing as "American English" also.
loolling Joao   Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:57 pm GMT
«Somebody also said in another post, but it needs to be repeated to exhaustion: there's no such thing as "British English." There are sundry different accents in the British Isles besides the highly artificial RP that folks outside of the UK usually associate with a "British" accent.»

I know. It was making it general so as to distinguish the English spoken on that side of the Atlantic,
Gate-crasher   Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:18 pm GMT
<< Then there's no such thing as "American English" also. >>

Arguably, there is less divergence between American accents than between British ones (or English ones, for that matter). In the strictest sense, though, I think you're right but there's also one big difference: whereas RP corresponds to no regional accent in England, being a rather contrived concoction, Standard American, if we can call it that, corresponds to the general Mid-Western accent.
Lolish   Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:35 pm GMT
Standard American, if we can call it that, corresponds to the general Mid-Western accent. //

This is not really true.

Standard American USED to correspond to MidWestern.

Nowadays, there are many accents in the MidWest:

a) cot/caught merged accents of Indianapolis and Columbus
b) NCVS accents of Toledo and Chicago
c) rural-sounding accents of Iowa
d) Southern-sounding accents of Cincinnati and St. Louis.

Standard American is spoken in Phoenix, Denver, Vegas, and by many Southern Californians (not including transplants and Valley Girls)
Penetra   Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:59 am GMT
The great thing about Antimoon is that there will always be someone more pedantic than you.
Marica que se muda a Espa   Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:36 am GMT
<<The great thing about Antimoon is that there will always be someone more pedantic than you. >>

Lo grande de Antimoon es que acá he conocido a tres maricas que no ponen reparos en chuparme la pinga.
Lilly   Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:07 am GMT
pinga

Eu amo pinga! Bem geladinha, com limão!!!
chauvinist   Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:47 pm GMT
Future languages Spanish will disintegrate into.
chauvinist   Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:48 pm GMT
Urraka la loba vasca   Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:51 pm GMT
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c3/Variedades_principales_del_espa%C3%B1ol.png

That maps is too optimistc. I guess that a Hispanic created it... Southern Sahara is no longer Spanish speaking but Arab speaking as this territory was repopulated by people from other parts of Morocco after Spain ceded his former colony to the kingdom of Morocco. Also Philippines is colored and it shouldn't.