Grammatically complex languages

Franco   Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:20 pm GMT
German grammar is much more difficult than the French one for a Spanish speaker. Word order is many times very different, a lot of prepositions to choose from, declensions, that despite are easy compared to latin are an alien concept for people without knowledge of Latin/Greek, three genders instead of two, etc. It is funny once you know some German to look back at English are realise how fucking easy and simplistic it is.
that's me   Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:27 pm GMT
German is much harder than English, morphologically but I find German to be much more logical than English..not to mention vocabulary
Baldewin   Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:32 pm GMT
To speak sophisticated English, however, can be very challenging. I fail at this. Most of us speak vehicular English, just to ease communication. Now heck, this also even counts for Esperanto, so it's a non-argument.
jehudah   Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:33 pm GMT
I don't know about grammar, but I'd say proper European Spanish is harder to pronounce correctly or sound like a native than Italian is, which to me just has clearer or easier sounds, despite the intonation. Mexican Spanish, on the other hand, seems easier to imitate and pass as a native speaker for some reason. As an American who studied the language in school, I thought I spoke decent Spanish, but when I went to Spain, they were laughing at my "Mexican" sounding accent. I guess that's the kind most people think of when they stereotype Spanish though.
halftorn   Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:09 pm GMT
I find proper Spanish pronunciation harder than French or German , it takes lots of practise to be able to sound like a native. As for grammar complexity ,at first sight it looks simple but that's is only til you start with the verbs. I saw an example of ser/estar , well ,that's not that hard you just have to think it logically , but I can never get through with habia , habria , hubiera, hubiese, .... and all the other forms it's the trickiest thing for me.
Franco   Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:03 am GMT
To speak sophisticated English

Does that exist?
subjuntiphobius   Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:38 am GMT
Wouldn't some of the non-European languages me gramatically more complex?

Every now and than we hear about the hideous complexities of:

- Navajo (and related languages)
- Sanskrit (sort of "European", I suppose)
- Arabic
- certain Caucasian languages
- Inuit
- Ainu (or is is just classical Ainu?)

In addition, Basque and Hungarian.
studentessa   Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:51 am GMT
Italian isn't easier than Spanish! Italian pronouciation is harder, that's for sure: you should learn to distinguish simple and double consonants, it's the most complicated feature in italian pronounciation. Unfortunately most foreigners don't even notice that!! Italian has 7 vowels Spanish just 5. As for the grammar, in my view Italian is a bit more complicated than Spanish Take a look at the articles, the italian system of articles is richer than the Spanish one, and after that all articles combine with prepositions in different forms: dello, nello, dal dai col coi, sul etc. Spanish has just two simple forms. al/del. On the whole the use of preposition is trickier than Spanish. Besides, Italian takes use of two different verbs two form all compound tenses: Essere and Avere and the italian use is even harder than the French one. Last but not least Italian has various pronominal particles like ci, ce, vi ve,ne their use is mainly idiomatic and it's quite hard to master it. The difference between ser/estar is a bit trickier in Spanish, particularly if compared with French where the verb estar does not exist.
Ingrid   Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:42 am GMT
Maybe Italian is harder, but I don't get why people keep saying it sounds very similar to Spanish when spoken. I see them as quite distinct and can pretty much always tell when someone is speaking one or the other, in my opinion.
???   Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:08 am GMT
<<To speak sophisticated English

Does that exist? <<

Evidently not wthin your capabilities, Franco.

German grammar is much more difficult than the (DELETE) French one (DELETE) GRAMMAR for a Spanish speaker. Word order is many times (DELETE) OFTEN very different, THERE ARE a lot of prepositions to choose from, declensions, that despite are (DELETE) BEING easy compared to latin are an alien concept for people without knowledge of Latin/Greek, three genders instead of two, etc. It is funny once you know some German to look back at English are realise how fucking easy and simplistic it is.

Quite a few mistakes in one small paragraph for such a fucking easy language, eh? And I could trawl your posts and find many more.

Also, English also has a lot of prepositions to choose from, and their use is much less logical than in German.
Lnk   Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:33 am GMT
" that's for sure: you should learn to distinguish simple and double consonants, it's the most complicated feature in italian pronounciation. "

Double consonants are quite tricky to get our head around at first, but if you're an English speaker a few simple examples can help.

Like if you pronounced the word perfecto as it is in Spanish for example, but mentally substitute the c for a t sound, and then pronounce it as perfet-to, then you can already pronounce double t's. To pronounce double s's take the Spanish word maximo (maximum), where the x is pronounced as ks sound. Substitute the k sound with an s so you would pronounce it as mas-simo. Also, for double n's you could take the word indemnity, and substitute the m for a n sound, so you would pronounce it as inden-nity, which is pretty close to indennita in Italian from the same Latin source. For double p's you can think of words like application, where you already pronounce it as though it were a double p, ap-plication with stress on the first syllable. It same with with words like appuntamento (appointment), where the stress is also on the first syllable, so it's pronounced like ap-puntamento. Double l's are a bit trickier but I think it's best to think of those words with double l's as having a glottal stop before the second l.
Matematik   Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:39 am GMT
<<It is funny once you know some German to look back at English are realise how fucking easy and simplistic it is. >>

I recall you only recently saying that the more complex a language is, the more insular, stupid and backward its speakers. Of course, you were trying to justify the fact that Spanish is fucking easy and simplistic, but you seem to change your point of view like a schizophrenic.
Usuário   Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:03 pm GMT
Português europeu deve ser a língua românica mais difícil gramaticamente.
Depois vem italiano, francês, português do brasil, depois esperanto e depois espanhol.

Foneticamente, português da europa, francês, brasileiro, italiano, esperanto e depois espanhol.

E dentro do brasil ainda há algumas divergência.
Por exemplo, o gauchês- os dialetos sulinos em geral, são bem menos complexos do que os dialetos do norte-nordeste.
Franco   Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:18 pm GMT
Portuguese is muche easier than Spanish, for example Portuguese has fewer verbal endings:

Verb to love, present tense

Portuguese

eu amo
você ama
ele/ela ama
a gente ama
vocês amam
eles/elas amam

3 forms

Spanish

Yo amo
Tú amas
El ama
Nosotros amamos
Vosotros amáis
Ellos aman

6 forms

Past tense

Portuguese

eu amaba
você amaba
ele/ela amaba
a gente amaba
vocês amabam
eles/elas amabam

2 forms

Spanish

Yo amaba
tú amabas
él amaba
nosotros amábamos
vosotros amábais
ellos amaban

5 forms

Wow, 2 forms only. Where is "richness" of Portuguese grammar? Ok, with regard to phonetics sure you have those distasteful nasal vowels and other sounds Spanish lacks, but also Spanish lacks many other sounds like those of dogs while barking. Both are ugly and unnecesary for us.

Also Portuguese has simplified prepositions. They use "em" all the time whereas Spanish, yet it does not have an outstanding array of prepositions, still distinguishes a more details, so "a" is used to express direction in oposition to "en" (no motion). For example:

Portuguese : Eu chego em casa
Spanish: Yo llego a casa

Portuguese: Eu estou em casa
Spanish: Yo estoy en casa

Once again Spanish proves to be more sophisticated than Portuguese
Matematik   Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:52 pm GMT
<<Once again Spanish proves to be more sophisticated than Portuguese >>

By your logic Somali is more sophisticated than most Indo-European languages.