ROMANIAN the closest to CLASSICAL LATIN

Luis Zalot   Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:26 am GMT
Octavian, Thanks for your "humble" answers and thoughts. Yes you are right about what you said. Take a look at this;

old latin; oino and optumo
classical; unum and optimum
vulgar latin; unu and optimu
Italian; uno and ottimale/optimum* (invariable)
Spanish; uno and optimo
Romanian; unu and optimu

We can see here- on how all the languages are the same in their own special way, sometimes one language has more or less. In the end there all romance languages with UNIQUE things as you mentioned "stuff" that is not founded in any other, and I for one agree on that. There all close to Classical latin in "various" ways. Saying one is MORE closer is "ignorance."
Civis Romanus Sum   Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:59 am GMT
A little correction:

Italian; uno and ottimo

Ottimo is superlative and is largely used
Ciao
greg   Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:10 am GMT
luis Zalot : « We can see here- on how all the languages are the same in their own special way, sometimes one language has more or less. In the end there all romance languages with UNIQUE things as you mentioned "stuff" that is not founded in any other, and I for one agree on that. There all close to Classical latin in "various" ways. Saying one is MORE closer is "ignorance." »

100 % d'accord avec ces sages paroles.
augustin717   Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:03 pm GMT
More Slavic/Slavonic words:
a trebui-to need, should, ought to etc.
Trebnic-Eulogitarion
mandru-handsome; proud
tzarcovnic-sacristan
bogoslov-theologian
zapis-"cheirographon" (hand written debt note)
post-fast
zapostire-the beginning of a fast
pustie-desert
pustnic-heremite
sihastru-anachorite
ceas-hour;clock
ceaslov-horologion;a kind of Breviary
letopisetz-chronicle
norod-people
pravoslavnic-orthodox
pizma-envy
prestol-the table of the altar
pisanie-inscription
danie-donation
pocainta-repentance
destoinic-able to
slova-letter
slobod-free
slujba-service
sluga-servant
a sluji-to serve
targ-market;market-town
targui-bargain
vladica-bishop
strashnic-terrible, severe.
S.P.Q.R   Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:53 pm GMT
To Sorin , OCtavian and all other daco-romanians.
Learn latin syntax sytem before talking. From waht i see for you declension= C.Latin, no,no,no, never heard about something celled verbal syntax?:
It: Credo d'essere buono
C.L credo esse bonum
It Ignoro facesse bene
C.L Ignoro Facevisset bene
In fact, romanian grammar lost all the verbal sytem of C.Latin and V. latin i do not intend the endings but how they are used.
I gave refernces as always.
The fact that romanian holds only 3 cases sytem (dative\genitive, nominative\accusative) does not put romania at 1st place.
Octavian   Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:53 pm GMT
Luis Zalot
We can see here- on how all the languages are the same in their own special way, sometimes one language has more or less. In the end there all romance languages with UNIQUE things as you mentioned "stuff" that is not founded in any other, and I for one agree on that. There all close to Classical latin in "various" ways. Saying one is MORE closer is "ignorance."

agreed. Also saying that any romance language is "made up" like in another topic, is ignorance.

I am not sure how Archaic Latin founds its "om"/"os" endings into Italian and Spanish wich correspond as the "o"/"os" endings respectively, but I am more than certain it is coinicidence. There is no historical explanation or link between Archaic Latin and Italian and Spanish I can think of, afterall all romance languages came from vulgar not archaic Latin. Thus, I come to conlclude that coincidently Italian and Spanish developed "o"/"os" endings.
Unless ofcourse someone has a better historical explenation.
S.P.Q.R   Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:21 am GMT
To octavian
I agree the title of the post is a bit insulting.
The OS\OM Um\OS and finally OS in spanish and italain can be explained with lost of the tonal accent system , this led to round U into O,
It is not false however sayng that could have been inehrited from Archaic latin, in fact OS Om correpsond perfectly to US Um, in fact till the 200bc you would hear Os pronounced as Us. The romans then changed their way of writing it, so OI= OE
OM= UM
OS= US
AI= AE
EI= AI
Octavian   Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:05 am GMT
To S.P.Q.R

Romanian has 5 cases: nominative, accusative, dative, genitive and vocative. vocative is still used though not as often because it is restricted to nouns. However, it is not the 5 cases that set Romanian appart from Italian, Spanish, French and Portuguese and closer to classical Latin. Its the 4 nouns and the three gendre. Romanian retained the neuter gendre from Latin

since you so conviniently understand Romanian take this for example:

Un televizor (masculine) doua televizoare (feminine) the singular for television is maculine and the plural is feminine. This is one of the ways Romanian identifies only with the its father tongue. please ignor the neo-Latin word example "televizor"

also some other neuter nouns: vin (wine,singular), (vinuri, plural)

when speaking of wine or vin in Romanian. it is incorrect to say "un vin" (let alone "o vina" because it doen't exist. This is a neuter noun it has no masculine or feminine.

It is correct however to say I want a little bit of wine or "vreu un pic de vin" notice the "un identifies with "pic" or "little" as masculine and not the "vin". Generally, speaking Romanian using neuter nouns is exactly like in english. ie. I want wine=vreau vin. Neuter nouns like "vin" are fairly uncommon. But I can show you a list of neuter nouns in romanian if you would like.
Octavian   Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:11 am GMT
some correction

"eu vreu un pic de vin"

"eu vreau vin"

salve!
greg   Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:12 am GMT
Octavian : « I am not sure how Archaic Latin founds its "om"/"os" endings into Italian and Spanish wich correspond as the "o"/"os" endings respectively, but I am more than certain it is coinicidence. There is no historical explanation or link between Archaic Latin and Italian and Spanish I can think of, afterall all romance languages came from vulgar not archaic Latin. Thus, I come to conlclude that coincidently Italian and Spanish developed "o"/"os" endings. »

Tu as raison. Il s'agit d'une coïncidence et prétendre que l'ancien castillan et l'ancien toscan auraient 'hérité' de caractères du scriptolatin préclassique est une aimable utopie.

Je pense que, plus probablement, — et à l'instar de l'ancien français — il s'agit d'une refonte graduelle du système des déclinaisons de l'orolatin tardif.

Par exemple, en ancien français, ce qu'on appelle le cas sujet est hérité du nominatif : AF (singulier) <li murs> ~ La <murus> [murus]
Le cas régime est issu de l'accusatif : AF (singulier) <le mur> ~ La <murum> [muru]

Même phénomène pour le pluriel.
Cas sujet pluriel : AF <li mur> ~ La (nominatif pluriel) <muri> [muri]
Cas régime pluriel : AF <les murs> ~ La (accusatif pluriel) <muros> [muros]

Si le nominatif de l'orolatin tardif était parvenu jusqu'en français moderne, nous dirions aujourd'hui *<li murs> au singulier et *<li mur> au pluriel. En clair, si le cas sujet (morphologie du nominatif latin) n'avait pas disparu au profit du cas régime (morphologie de l'accusatif latin), le <s> serait la marque du singulier et non celle du pluriel.

Peut-être en va-t-il de même pour le castillan qui, au contraire du toscan, marque les pluriels à l'aide de <s>, comme en français.
S.P.Q.R   Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:23 am GMT
To octavian
I said 3 cases system because dative is strongly similiar with genitive endings, yes they have different function but similiar endings.
Ex:
Limba lui : His language
Sorin   Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:03 pm GMT
Octavian : « I am not sure how Archaic Latin founds its "om"/"os" endings into Italian and Spanish wich correspond as the "o"/"os" endings respectively, but I am more than certain it is coinicidence. There is no historical explanation or link between Archaic Latin and Italian and Spanish I can think of, afterall all romance languages came from vulgar not archaic Latin. Thus, I come to conlclude that coincidently Italian and Spanish developed "o"/"os" endings. »

greg>Tu as raison. Il s'agit d'une coïncidence et prétendre que l'ancien castillan et l'ancien toscan auraient 'hérité' de caractères du scriptolatin préclassique est une aimable utopie.

You "latinO" ignoramuses (excepting greg-an inttelectual) are trying to say that “O” endings added to Germanics name and other words is from Archaic Latin ??????????

Germanic names !

ALBERT ------(from the Germanic name Adalbrecht which meant "bright nobility")
ROBERT ------(means "bright fame", derived from the Germanic elements hrod "fame" and beraht "bright")
Richard---- (derived from the Germanic elements ric "power, rule" and hard "brave, hardy").
Alfred-------(derived from the Old English element ælf "elf" combined with ræd "counsel")
Carl---------(from the Germanic name Karl, derived from a Germanic word "man")

Ad here is the Italian, Spanish, Portuguese version of these Germanic names :

AlbertO
RobertO,
RichardO,
AlfredO
CarlO

“O” ending in Italian, Spanish, Portuguese is a rule in adding “O” at the end of any possible masculine name and other words.

Where is the “O” ending coming from ? From Archaic Latin ? ha ha ha !
Jesus Christ, That is the most ridiculous and infantile thing I’ve ever read online...

Cut it out dudes ! “O” ending is a useless attachment to make your language sound cool or "BimbO". And you should leave it like this, it doesn’t sound bad at all, it's very feminine. It's just a little bit too BimbO for a man!
Sorin   Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:15 pm GMT
Oh , I forgot , And Ironically the BimbO “O” endings are added to Masculine names...YahOOO !

For example my Romanian name Sorin, becomes SorinO in “BimbO Latin” or Italian, Spanish and Portuguese. But no thank you!
Civis Romanus sum   Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:02 pm GMT
Classical latin:

"Sorinus -i"

dat./abl. sorino

Just for fun
S.P.Q.R   Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:44 pm GMT
To sorin:
C.L
Errando Mario disco
From marius error i learn, just some O endings in latin you
Usurpator latina voce