Canadian

Ed   Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:54 pm GMT
South African English tends to follow British/International English spelling and prefers '-ise' to '-ize'.

This might not only be historical, it might have something to do with the influence of Afrikaans where the letter 'z' is rare, even slightly 'foreign' looking and usually replaced by 'z' especially in words of Dutch origin. For example Zuid-Afrika > Suid-Afrika, zee > see etc. 'Colorize' etc certainly look rather foreign and crude to me.
greg   Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:20 pm GMT
Adam : « I don't even think there is such a word as "colourise" or "colorise." It's not in my online dictionary. »

Notre ami Google :

— <colorize> = 1.200.000
— <colourise> = 36.900
— <colorized> = 1.840.000
— <colourise> = 67.500
— <colorizing> = 380.000
— <colourising> = 14.900
— <colorizes> = 45.600
— <colourises> = 331.
Guest   Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:46 am GMT
Where's Canadia?
ydq9yg2@email.com   Sun May 14, 2006 9:50 pm GMT
hello! http://www.areaseo.com/contacts/ google pr. high your rank, Search Engine Optimization, Professional SEO. From google pr .
Guest   Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:37 am GMT
Goodness...long topic on just the word "Colour"...(my preferred spelling).
Don't forget the other words like harbour, labour, humour, favour, savour etc...(also my preferred spelling). Also, I was never taught to pronounce "Route" as in "rowt"...I've never heard of "rowt" before until I visited the states 2 years ago. I've always used "Route" as in "root" even when using "Paper Route (root)". My grade school teacher said the two words are homonyms. So "rowt" was new to me! One other thing I noticed when I visited the States, the states uses "Restroom" instead of "Washroom" like we use in Canada. I've never heard of restroom before...a room to rest when one has to urinate???...sounds kinda strange to me. "Washroom" sounds more appealing, but I'm being bias here...so don't take it as an offence. And also, Canadians are more laid back than Americans...When I visit a major city in the States, I feel like everything Americans do is "over the top", "over-stimiulating visually and auditory" and extremely "patriotic"...even I get engrossed in their culture, sometimes feeling that if I ever lived in the States, I would be a "PROUD" American!!! LOL. But I live in the Great White North...and proud of it.

Jim...From Edmonton
Kelly   Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:50 am GMT
I'm Canadian and I spell it: COLOR
Pos   Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:05 am GMT
Hey, Canadians, what's your take on this?

The progressive, stative verbs, and change in Canadian English

Growing use of progressive forms with stative verbs, bolded in (1), where previously only simple

tenses (ST), underlined in (1), were allowed, is an oft-cited example of change in contemporary

English (Aitchison 1991; Jespersen 1933; Potter 1975, among others). This putative

encroachment of the progressive on the domain of ST should presumably result in the

restructuring of the stative paradigm, with the progressive either taking over some of ST’s

functions or developing new ones of its own.

(1) I know what I’m thinking and they’re all thinking the same thing. (QEC/QC/021/163)

http://www.ling.ohio-state.edu/NWAV/Abstracts/Papr179.pdf
Guest   Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:07 pm GMT
Where is Candida?

Well I have looked this up, and it is just north east of Naples Italy.

I always thought it was a type of yeast infection, but there you go!
Q   Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:20 pm GMT
>> The Canadian accent gets stronger in Canada the further you get from the U.S. border <<

Not really. It's about the same no matter how close or far away from the border you go. The only exception is Lower Mainland BC where stereotypical features like Canadian raising (out->uh-oot) are receding, and therefore the accent sounds more like the accent in Washington state than to other areas of Canada. Any other area in Western and Central Canada excluding Lower Mainland BC has about the same accent.

>> I'd have thought Scottish pronunciation would be more like "hooss" and "mooth". <<

It depends on the dialect of Scottish English and Scots what the pronounciation of /aU/ is.
Guest   Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:28 pm GMT
Kelly,

>> I'm Canadian and I spell it: COLOR <<

I think it's a matter of preference on how you spell it, but in Canada, COLOUR is the correct spelling. If you look at all the advertisements in newspaper, flyers, commercial signs in Canada, colour has a "u" in it. Definitely, neighbour has a "u" in it also, so might as well keep in consistant in spelling colour with a "u." My sister spells it COLOR, but I'm trying to convince her there's a "u" in it, since improper spelling in our profession can look unprofessional in our part.

>> Where is Candida?

Well I have looked this up, and it is just north east of Naples Italy.

I always thought it was a type of yeast infection, but there you go! <<

I also thought Candida is a yeast infection of some sort...candida albicans, a micro-organism...if I can recall from Microbiology class 8 years ago!

Jim
Lillian   Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:33 am GMT
Canada has never had any ''official'' spelling.
COLOR, NEIGHBOR is the predominant spelling in the western parts of Canada.
rfdhgfhfg   Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:35 pm GMT
Whoever sent this, sucks!
Q   Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:34 pm GMT
>> COLOR, NEIGHBOR is the predominant spelling in the western parts of Canada. <<

Are you sure about that? When I drove through Vancouver, I saw a lot of signs that said "colour", and only one sign that said: "color copy center".