swiss german - separate language

Guest   Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:09 am GMT
<< Whao whao, slow down there Hewlett. I don't write anything or wasn't even thinking about French. Why are you so paranoid about French, huh?
I was simply telling you my experience; I have some friends from Egypt, Jordan and one from Morocco. Recently, I have also met some other Egyptians. ALL THESE PEOPLE SPEAK ENGLISH, with me and with others. The only one I know that speaks French is the the Moroccan guy, although he uses English to speak the Egyptians. Hell, I even meet two groups of Tunisians last year and all I heard them speaking was English. >>

Go ahead with don't wake up from your siesta but French is very spoken in Egypt in fact it's a full member of Francophonie instead of Commonwealth. They use French to communicate with the Lebanese and Maghrebians. Very very few Maghrebians sepak a smattering of English and even far fewer speak English fluently.

In fact more and more Hispanic Americans use English or French with other Spanish speaking countries to communicate because of language difficulty. Sp0anish is divided by a common languages.

Imagine a Mexican would readily understand a Mexican than an Argentinian.
Graxie   Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:11 am GMT
With the advent of Mandarin courses in Chile, Mandarin Chinese will become the linguua franca of the entire hispanic america because they sutdy it con gusto.
Graxie   Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:15 am GMT
With the advent of Mandarin courses in Chile, Mandarin Chinese will become the lingua franca of the entire hispanic america because they study it con gusto.

Link: http://www.enn.com/business/article/28466

Video: http://www.mediascrape.com/News/ViewNewsItem.aspx?rootVideoPanelType=1&newsItemId=37714
mac   Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:09 am GMT
Man, this place is overrun with francophiles.

<< Liar! You're experiences are pure imaginations or hallucinations. Just admit that you're here to bash the French in a subtle way and you were the one who were using JLK's name who is Pro-French and suddenly he becam anti-French when you used his name. Shut up Sam, Franco, Adolfo, Invitado etc. >>

Sorry but I'm mac, not anyone else. And these are my experiences with Arabs over this last year. BTW I never was bashing French, just saying that I know a lot of Arabs who speak English with me and with each other. Sorry if that bothers you.

<< Go ahead with don't wake up from your siesta but French is very spoken in Egypt in fact it's a full member of Francophonie instead of Commonwealth. >>

That doesn't mean crap. English is the most popular foreign language world wide and important in a fields. That's why many Egyptians learn it. There are plenty of other non-commonwealth countries that focus on English in education.

<< In fact more and more Hispanic Americans use English or French with other Spanish speaking countries to communicate because of language difficulty. Sp0anish is divided by a common languages.

Imagine a Mexican would readily understand a Mexican than an Argentinian. >>

Well, I have to disagree and I've never that anywhere before besides this forum which is full of paranoid French speakers. I'm glad you brought this up because last weekend my Egyptian friend had his birthday party and we rented a villa for the night. Some other friends came who were spanish speakers, one was from Mexico and 2 were from Argentina. Myself and these Latinas had no trouble speaking with each other in Spanish. Why? Because Spanish does not vary nearly as much as you presume to say. Any differences in vocab or with the use voseo for example are not a big deal becaues most speakers (especially the educated and travellers) are already aware of this, and it only amounts to switching a word or a verb form here and there, which isn't difficult.

I'm pretty sure that French has similar variations in Europe, Canada and Africa.

Spanish, like all wide spead languages, has regional variations, as do French and English. But that doesn't mean that any of them are going to break up as some haters say here. Personally, I believe that any diverance of languages will slow, seeing as how it is much easier for people to interact with each other, by the ease of communication and travel nowadays.
Cid   Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:17 am GMT
<< With the advent of Mandarin courses in Chile, Mandarin Chinese will become the lingua franca of the entire hispanic america because they study it con gusto. >>

You are either joker or an idiot. I hope it's the former. So, you are saying that because a few schools in Chile started teaching Chinese to some students, that the extremely foreign Chinese language is gonna become of lingua franca? Sorry, but Latin America a little more pride in their culture then that my friend.
Xie   Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:20 am GMT
Absurd.

I wouldn't want to see my ancestors in the Ming Dynasty defeating the Spaniards, doing exactly what the Spaniards (among others) did in the Americas, turning everything of the Western hemisphere Chinese, and letting my people to brag about their civilization now. It's both a blessing and a shame for a language to be international.
huesped   Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:29 am GMT
<< With the advent of Mandarin courses in Chile, Mandarin Chinese will become the lingua franca of the entire hispanic america because they study it con gusto. >>

Good point. It is a great convenience to speak a wide spread language like English, Spanish and French. But in many cases, how they they got to be like that is a sad story or at least controversial.
Carmina la divina   Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:54 pm GMT
Do some Spanish dialects pronounce agua as awa really? That's wonderful, as awa is the original protoIE word. Anyway despite Spanish dialects are different, it's not like the English pandemonium where you can pronounce words like you want since its spelling is so misleading.
guest   Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:31 pm GMT
People,

This thread is about *Swiss German*; not dialect divergence in general.

If you want to discuss Arabic (which in theis case actually is tied somewhat to the original discussion) or Spanish then please do so in another thread.

Damn.
It's always the same old crap